• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I adopt her? U/D went to visit - decided against it

uniqueanneek

Alpha Buck
Hi

Well I found this advert for an 11 month female bunny http://aberdeen.gumtree.com/aberdeen/07/21078007.html

And I was planning to get a female to pair with Rocky in a few months, after his hormones had settled down since neutering.

However I'm going to see this rabbit this afternoon. I spoke to the girl who owns her, she says I can have the new hutch the run and all her toys for free. She's not spayed yet though but she was bonded to her sister.

So I'm thinking I could get all of her stuff and keep her outside until she's spayed, use the run to bond her with Rocky over time, and then bring her inside and keep them as a pair. What do you think?

The only reason I'm doubting it is because I wasn't quite expecting to get one yet - was planning for the summer, and the owner says that because she's originally from a rescue, that she is still a little timid, so she'll need a bit of time dedicated to her.

I'm worried that if I don't get her, she'll go to a bad home as everything is free with her - a good deal for potentially non-committed people. Poor thing being rehomed from a rescue and then given away again :( the last thing I want is for her to get moved to an unhappy home again.

What do you think??? I'm going to go visit this afternoon with my O/H.

Thanks
Ax

Last edited:
I thought resues asked for rabbits to be returned to them if you couldn't keep them anymore? You should probably check which rescue she came from.

She does look lovely and you are right that if she has a free hutch etc someone who has no idea might take her.

Good luck!

If she's from a rescue you need to ask her which one, and if she signed a contract promising to return her. Poor bunny does sound desperate for a good home though :(

Well I just had Rocky neutered and vaccinated. I'm not exactly flush with cash, I have a little fund for rocky and he is insured so i don't get hit with massive vet bills.

She would be spayed as soon as I had enough cash, and I spoke to my mother about it (as she has lots of animals but lives a few hours away) and she said she would help out with the costs too.

That is really why I was looking to get one in the summer months - that's what I was budgeting for originally you see.

If you can do it then do it....... (there is also a lovely little white lady bun looking for a home in the Deen!!) xx

i should also say that i have never bonded bunnies and am quite nervous about doing it. I want to totally read up on it all before I attempt it. I know it has to be done somewhere neutral, and that is why i thought i would introduce them in the run if i did.

I do want to take her, I'm just nervous about my own ability to do the job justice. My family had an outdoor rabbit when i was younger which i absolutely loved, and Rocky is the first bun I've had as an adult.

I just want this girly to have a home where she will be looked after properly and loved!

I will ask her about the rescue contract when I visit this afternoon

If you want a hand I will put my hand up since we are the Aberdeen ones!! :wave:

Awh thank you! I might have to hold you to that! :D We'll see what transpires this afternoon.

Also the garden is all overgrown (as we haven't lived here long), and needs to be tidied up before a bun can be in there, but my parents are coming to visit tomorrow anyway, so I have roped them into bringing their strimmer so my O/H and my dad can get started on it :lol:

Also, I think if she did sign a contract I will suggest that the girl contacts the rescue to see what they say. I would have thought that the rescue would have spayed her before rehoming?

The only rescue I know of in aberdeen is P.A.W.S.S http://www.pawss.org.uk/index.php. I might phone them now myself and see what they say.

I just feel sorry for the poor bunny getting moved around so much. If she does go back to the rescue they'll have to rehome her again. She just needs to get settled somewhere and looked after.

I'm going to phone PAWSS now...

Awh thank you! I might have to hold you to that! :D We'll see what transpires this afternoon.

Also the garden is all overgrown (as we haven't lived here long), and needs to be tidied up before a bun can be in there, but my parents are coming to visit tomorrow anyway, so I have roped them into bringing their strimmer so my O/H and my dad can get started on it :lol:

I am happy to be held to it!!! But looky... http://aberdeen.gumtree.com/aberdeen/99/21054299.html awww!!!

Also, I think if she did sign a contract I will suggest that the girl contacts the rescue to see what they say. I would have thought that the rescue would have spayed her before rehoming?

The only rescue I know of in aberdeen is P.A.W.S.S http://www.pawss.org.uk/index.php. I might phone them now myself and see what they say.

I just feel sorry for the poor bunny getting moved around so much. If she does go back to the rescue they'll have to rehome her again. She just needs to get settled somewhere and looked after.

I'm going to phone PAWSS now...

There is a cat and dog home that takes them... They are joined up with P@h adoption, Marys or something she could've come from there, plus if we bond them together you can meet this bunch.... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=120216 excuse the plug :lol:

There is a cat and dog home that takes them... They are joined up with P@h adoption, Marys or something she could've come from there, plus if we bond them together you can meet this bunch.... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=120216 excuse the plug :lol:

Well i can't phone PAWSS cos I can't find their number, only their email. I will just find out from the girl this afternoon.

Your lot are adorable! :love:

Ax

Thanks for that - just called them :)

The woman was very nice. She didn't recognise the rabbit in the story and says that she does required a contract to be signed, carries out a home check and follow ups after rehoming, so I don't think it was through them. She did offer some good advice though and is interested to know about the bunny and how it transpires so wants me to call back after i've been to visit today.

She told me it could have been through a rescue in Ellon which is newly established. Hmm will be interesting to see what the full story is.

Ax

Back