• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help

I have woken up this morning to give the bunnies their breakfast, annd bugys is not interested. I have tried to give her some from my hand, also tried to tempt her with treats but she doesn't want to eat. I know how serious a bunny not eating is, how long should i wait to call the vets? Ours goes to an animal hospital so as never used them before I'm worried about that as well.

At the moment she is sitting on top of her house and if I go to see her se turns her back on me. I thought she was just being grumpy this morning, but she didn't want her pellets knew something was wrong.

Hi, have you felt her tummy? Does it feel any different?

Rosie did this 3 months ago (for the first time), I panicked and had her straight to the vets who gave her a gut stimulant and a pain killer and some baytril. She was back to normal by the time she was back home. I may have over-reacted but bunny tummy problems are obviously a major worry.

I think advice would be to try her with infacol followed by cooled but still warm boiled water (10ml) give her tummy rubs and encourage her to move around. Repeat this after an hour and if there is no improvement take her to the vets.

I am sure someone more experienced than me will be along soon to help,
I hope Bugys will soon pick up
Vanessa xx

Last edited:
Hiya

Bring her indoors (if she's outside) and get her onto a heatpad or near a heat source such as a Radiator. Try to get her to drink some cooled but still warm boiled water.
In you PM you say she has wee'd on herself so that *might* indicate a bladder infection/cystitis. Or it may just be that she feels too poorly to use a litter box/clean herself. The 'feeling poorly' may be due to tummy pain but this is *not* always the case.

I would definately call a Vet for advice but in the meantime warmth and hydration are a 'first aid' treatment

Good luck and please keep us posted

Janex

Thanks Jane, She is an indoor bunnie anyway, have just spoken to the vets we are getting ready to leave. She is moving around now, but going to her fav corners and just sitting there. i'm going to try and get her to drink something before we leave.

Will update been i get back.

Thanks Jane, She is an indoor bunnie anyway, have just spoken to the vets we are getting ready to leave. She is moving around now, but going to her fav corners and just sitting there. i'm going to try and get her to drink something before we leave.

Will update been i get back.

Well done for taking prompt action :)
Good luck and let us know how you get on

Janex

Well done for taking prompt action :)
Good luck and let us know how you get on

Janex

We are back and Bugys is tucking into her breakfast and has had a drink.:D

The vets didn't know what was wrong, she wasn't bloated, and teeth were fine. She was given a gut stimulant, and a pain killer. She had the following:
Baytril
Metacam
Metoclopramide.

I'll keep an eye on her and if she stops eating again we will go back for more tests.

We are back and Bugys is tucking into her breakfast and has had a drink.:D

The vets didn't know what was wrong, she wasn't bloated, and teeth were fine. She was given a gut stimulant, and a pain killer. She had the following:
Baytril
Metacam
Metoclopramide.

I'll keep an eye on her and if she stops eating again we will go back for more tests.

Good news,the metoclopramide is too stimulate the gut into action.

Rick

Back