• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbit and cat exist together

singhters

New Kit
hello im new here just joined.

I have a german lop rabbit that im looking after for my girlfriend while she moves house i bought it as a present for xmas for her.

thing is i have a cat a ginger tom hes a fully grown cat about 10 years old.

i darent let the rabbit near the cat in case he (the cat) tries to attack our little bullet thats his (the rabbits name)

so can they exist do cats hunt rabbits for there dinner.

or is it best to keep them apart if i got the rabbit in my arms he doesnt do anything he just sits there looking but im worried that if i let him go and he starts to flap the cat will go for him.

hi ,we have 3 house buns and 2 cats...we got the cats as kittens so we didnt have a big problem.is your cat a hunter?does he bring in birds and things? if not you should be ok ...but dont leave them together until you are sure nothing will happen.its not just the rabbit that could get hurt!
is the rabbit living indoors? or out ? if in just lock the cat out of that room when you cant watch them.

MY cats are TOTALLY 'rabbit proof'! And they are sort of a 'Trio' with my elderly bunny girl Honey......she curls up with the cats and has a nap......it is VERY sweet!!!!! :D

My neighbour's cats, however, I watch like a hawk as 2 years ago one of them grabbed another neighbour's guinea pig and took off over a 6 foot fence with the poor thing in his mouth.:cry: :cry: :cry:

yes he is a hunter he has brought in birds and mice and ive seen him claw a few mice to death but he is a nice cat though.

just dont want to risk the bunny.

but the bunny is pretty vicious as well + hes a german lop so hes no means small and weak lol.

I think most cats are reluctant to take on a rabbit. I know with the cats around here - including the four who live here, and seemingly ever other cat in the neighbourhood - is wary of my bunnies. Cats don't just walk straight up to one another, head-on, but this is how my rabbits always try and greet the cats - which freaks the cats out immediately. If the rabbit turns and runs, I'd imagine cat instinct would kick in and it might give chase, whether with the intention of doing harm, or just in play. But even in play, a cat might not know his or her own strength. Cat bites and sctratches can be particularly nasty for rabbits, and can lead to abcesses, so if you're not sure how the two would get along, it might be best not to let them mix. If you wanted to see how they got along, however, you could observe them closely and watch for signs either is likely to cause some sort of skirmish? ^^ Maybe keep a water squirter type thing handy...?

I watched my neighbour's rabbit chase their cat all across the garden the other day :lol: this cat is an avid hunter, but the rabbit is same size as her so she's not taking any chances - I imagine a German lop is quite large too?

I wouldn't leave them together unsupervised though :)

mine coexisted quite happily with both my neighbours unneutered 6month old kittens and my netuered 5 yr old boy... but then again my olly is a big wimp-puss!!!

maybe worth trying in a CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT?

I have 3 of each and it's usually the rabbits that give the cats a run for their money! All 3 cats bring in mice and birds.....It's what cats do, but they've never had a go at the rabbits. Just try watching them together, all animals react in different ways but rabbits are tougher than most people think :)

We've got 2 bunnies and 3 cats, and they're generally all one happy family. Put it this way, I can't imagine one of the cats EVER doing any damage.

One of the rabbits, Winston, stands up for himself anyway. Occasionally one of the kittens will give him a swipe on the bum as they pass, but he turns round and chases them off! They're scared of him! :lol:

The other bunny, Harry, is more timid and runs from them. Which to a cat is like a red rag to a bull! But even then, they might chase him round the house until we tell them off, but that's as far as it goes.

I wouldn't have thought you've got anything to worry about. Introduce them gradually and keep an eye on them and they should be fine. You might find that the cat is scared of the rabbit!

my 3 cats stay out of Graces way because she bites them and they are convinced Louis is going to be the same so they give him a wide birth also

Back