• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - rabbit not eating, UD- happy bun again

Hopping_mad

Young Bun
Hi, i would really appreciate some help. my bun has gone off her food but otherwise looks reasonably well, although perhaps a little quiet. she ate quite a bit of spring green about 90min ago and seemed quite hungry but now she is rejecting everything even carrots and pellets. could she have bloat? her stomach dosnt feel particually distended. should i try some simeticone - how much and how do i get her to take it.
she is also molting - could she have a blockage? how do i tell? we have two buns so i cant tell if she is constipated or not?
how long do i wait before going to the vet. she hates it and i know she wont eat whilst we are there and probably for a n hour after we get back so dont want to scare her if its somehting we could sort out at home.

sorry loads of questions. they have never got ill beofre and we are really really worried any advice would be gratefully appreciated.thanks

Last edited:
Give 2mls of Infacol and some tummy rubs, also get bun running around to help dispel any gas. Try warm boiled water as well.
Infacol can be given every hour - 2mls then 2mls then 1ml.
If after an hour or so bun isn't responding then it's the vets to check for a blockage:?
Is she putting her tummy to the floor and moving different positions all the time, if so she has got gas and the Infacol should help:D

thanks ever so much for the advice. it was much more helpful tna the vet who told me to go to surgery at 11 tomorrow. will try and get some infacol.

thanks again

Poor bunny!
Mine have had wind from time to time, and I follow the steps Jaypot has given above. This usually helps - particularly getting them to move around. I also like to offer dandelion leaves, as these can sometimes help.
Hope she feels better soon.

If what jaypot does not work and still the same in the morn it would be best too get vet checked in case of any other prob,hope all goes well

update

Yipee - bun is back to her normal self. Having spent the last two hours driving around trying to find a pharmacy that was open and that actually had infacol in stock, got back to find her bouncing round the kitchen looking disgruntled that her dinner was late:roll:
guessing it must just have been wind.

now i just have to make it up to the friend whose house i was meant to be having dinner at and had cooked me a lovely three course meal.

out of curiosity and in case it ever happens again, i didnt manage to get infacol but did get dentinox. which also has dimeticone. is this still okay for rabbits and is the dosage the same? it contains 21mg per 2.5ml dimeticone, carbomer, sucrose, sodium hydroxide, E214, E216, E218 and dill oil.

thanks for everyones help

Back