• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible stasis - help please! UD We have poo !!!

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Hi

Nushka is not eating, is very quiet and I think it may be stasis. I have tried tummy rubs and keeping her moving but there is no difference.

Events prior.....

I put her outside for about 2 hours today - she is a house bun
She has shredded a rug i gave her in the kitchen
She had a few pellets this morning but nothing since about 12noon

I don't want to syringe feed in case it is a blockage due to the rug

I have called my emergency vet who won't let me go and get Metacam without seeing her but I'm worried the car journey will make her worse

Help please !

Last edited:
Is it a long journey? Can you put her in a pet carrier with towels and keep it covered up in the car for less stress?

I believe some people have used Infacol which can be bought from chemists but I have no idea how to administer it or in what dosage.

Try posting the same thread on general chat as there are usually more people on there.

Sorry I am not much help.

Rabswood

I have to say that I wouldn't be waiting to find out if it's stasis - it would be a trip to the vets at the slightest hint of stasis or any other significant unexplained changes in her behaviour.

If your bunny is in pain whether it's from the rug or not, then she may need a stronger pain reliever than Metacam anyway. The vet should be able to check for blockages in the caecum or intestines or stopped gut action and prescribe dependent on results.

Even if it's a bit of a journey, I would get here there asap. In the meanwhile, have you got a heat pad that she can use? Have you been able to tempt her with any foods at all? Has she been drinking? Did she have access to grass on her trip out today? Is her tummy bloated? If you put your ear to her side/tummy can you hear her tummy moving?

when Zinniea goes like this I syringe infacol then warm boiled water, 10ml, leave her an hour then give her another 10ml - she's usually OK after a couple of hours, but she's never eaten a rug - I think it's cardboard with her which may be easier to pass. Main thing is keeping the gut contents moist so they can chug along through....when I first had a rabbit with stasis I whisked him to the vets automatically and the metaclop and force-feeding (on vet's advice) killed him, so I would only ever give infacol and water now, and take to the vets if that didn't work after a few hours.

Sending lots of pain free get well vibes to little Nushka and calming ones to you. Sorry I don't have any advice/experience with this but hope it all gets better/sorted tonight xx

Glad she's going to the vet.
Ruby pulled this trick a couple of weeks ago. My usual thing is to give warm water and tummy rubs and make them run around, going to the vet if no better after a couple of hours.
I knew Rubes was really poorly though as she wasn't struggling. She's a quite a nervy bun, but was fine at the vet, and I'm so please I took her. She was back to her normal self within a couple of days.
Good luck at the vet.

Just got back from the vet, she's had an xray to rule out a blockage. She has a small gas pocket and other contents in her stomach. She has had a Metaclop injection and a Norocap injection and i have metaclop for the next 3days. I also have Science recovery and managed to find some fresh pineapple.

I'm thinking watery recovery with pineapple juice mixed in for syringe feed every 2 or 3 hours....?

Any comments or advice appreciated..

Thanks

Julia

Nush has just had her 3rd syringe feed and has been for a run round the living room. I'm off to get some sleep, anyone still up please send eating and pooing vibes for her...x

Only just caught up with this. I agree with Elve, lots of fluids, moving around and tummy rubs should help if she is not feeling better yet.

This morning we have poo !! :D:D And either the fairys came in the night and ate the varoius bowls of pineapple, springs greens and carrot and pellets or it was Nush :D:D

She's just had a chunk of pineapple for breakfast, question is do i continue the metaclop and recovery?? I think I will give her a syringe with the crushed Meataclop and then leave her and see if she continues to eat.

What is the usual dose of Metaclop? The vet said for her weight 3kg it would be 1/3 tablet - almost impossible to do so said 1/2 - i think maybe 1/4 now she has picked up????

Back