• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two litter-corners?

ZakuraRabbit

Mama Doe
I have a male bun who is only partially litter-trained...he had a period earlier this winter when he suddenly started pooing all over the run, but all wet stuff still landed in the litter box thankfully...and it was speculated it was because my female (who lives outside) was coming into heat. Now the female has been moved and I see a little improvement...there's still quite a few poops outside the litter box but he's got a bigger one so it's not that noticeable. Still I have noticed that he leaves quite a few on the other end of the run...
Is it normal for a rabbit to have two litter corners? Also he likes to push his litter box away so does anyone have any ideas how to fasten a square-shaped litter box for cats? This is how it looks like to give you ideas, Sasuke tore of the plastic-frame on it so I removed it, so now he only has the dark lower-part.
P1010035.jpg

It was easy to keep him from removing it before because of the wooden house but I had to give it away to Aroma because she's expecting little ones.
This is how it looks now:
P1010001-3.jpg

Seems he's done most of his business in the litter box this morning. :)
But I would still like a way to ensure the box STAYS there.

Mine will drag their trays all over, but I use wood pellet litter now which is heavier and they can't move the trays as easily, so they generally give up :lol:

Mine will drag their trays all over, but I use wood pellet litter now which is heavier and they can't move the trays as easily, so they generally give up :lol:

If I were to make Sasuke give up that way I would probably be better of using rocks:lol:
Then again they don't suck up urine very well... :roll:
It's been standing put for one night now though... he moved it around yesterday while I was in the room so maybe he just does it because he likes seeing me come in and put it back? :lol:

sorrel insists on two litter trays when penned up. She need one at each end of the pen. Weirdly, when the pen isnt there, she'll just use the one in her crate. and ignore the other. bunnies: so odd! :lol:

If there's space and he wants two, then give him two - does it matter??

Unless he's tipping it over I'd be tempted to let him move it about and see if it ends up a particular spot... Maybe he'll use it more if he can have it where HE wants it, you never know :lol:

To fix them, how about:
* drill a couple of holes in the sides of the tray that go up against the run's panels
* use cable ties to attach the tray to the panels.

If there's space and he wants two, then give him two - does it matter??

Unless he's tipping it over I'd be tempted to let him move it about and see if it ends up a particular spot... Maybe he'll use it more if he can have it where HE wants it, you never know :lol:

To fix them, how about:
* drill a couple of holes in the sides of the tray that go up against the run's panels
* use cable ties to attach the tray to the panels.

I'll put in an extra tray if he starts cheating again.
The other litter boxes are also quite simple that way that it can be fastened to the side of the run..they have holes on the sides that I can tie them up with:D I had to take them out because they were too small...but I guess the big one could be used as an extra box if he's got the big one as well.

I think I know what you mean about moving it... I once tied up a "litter box" (which was really a water tank split in half..) to the side of Zakura's run with a Ski-belt, I just gotta find a knife that's hard enough to pierce the kitty-litter-box without breaking it....
I could just let him move it about but I am afraid he'll go back to his old habit of moving the litter box and peeing underneath it:? He used to be doing this before I was able to attach the old litter box he had before... He still hasn't peed next to the cat-box though...

I think it is quite normal for bunnies to favour 2 litter corners. I have 8 bunnies, 2 indoors and 6 outside. The 6 outside are bonded couples all have 2 big cat litter trays each. Because they pee and poo in these it keeps the hutch nice abd clean for ages. And the bunnies don't seem to have a favourite tray either, they alterate happily. At the end of each day though, there is a healthy amount of poo.:lol:

Back