• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How did I miss this? UD- He is eating :)

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Little Alfie left for his new home a couple of hours ago. His new owners have just had him checked at the vets and say he has an impacted bowel?

He was eating and toileting fine this morning and has been his usual playful self. Im not sure quite what to make of this, the vets want to take x-rays.

I feel dreadful, I've been so stressed with Bonnie and Tundra I dont know if I missed something or not.

Im not sure I can keep doing this, everyday it feels like I have done something else wrong and its really getting me down.

Last edited:
Aww Sooz, I'm sure its nothing you have or havent done. You do a fantastic job & enough of us struggle with keeping check on one or two bunnies...so come on, cut yourself some slack girl! :) Im sure Alfie will be fine too, Bless him X

Is he still eating/pooping, what symptoms does he have? It sounds a bit weird to me if he was toileting fine this morning.

I've not been a member for long on here.......and yes i've only just recently started posting regularly, but from what i can tell.........Sooz.......Please don't feel like that, you do a fantastic job, there are only a handful of rescues out there, i've been following the stories and you are a pilar to society along with the other people on here that rescue, you can't beat yourself up, for all you know he wasn't even showing any signs so how can you blame yourself, you can't :)
P/S looking to become a foster home so if you need any help give us a shout ;)

It must be hard but you can't think like that. You do such a fantastic job, but it's impossible for anyone to always spot everything. You have an incredible amount going on, and you know how good bunnies are at hiding things.

I, amongst so many others, have so much to thank you for. Without you, my precious Tarquin wouldn't have had the chance to live the life he deserves. Look at him now - he's totally in love with Bell and has a great life.

Don't beat yourself up - stay strong and take care.

Hugs to you and bunny kisses from Tarquin, who thanks you for all you do for countless bunnies xx

Hope Alfie is ok.

if hes weeing and pooing fine i would suggest they wait and get another opinion :roll:

I am wondering you know :? He always has a very 'round' belly after he has eaten.

He came running to me for breakkie this morning which is totally normal, he is a right greedy guts....I also filled his hay rack as he had emptied it in the night.

Tamsin he was eating when he left but I have no idea if he has eaten or toileted since....but then he is bound to be feeling stressed (like I am now) isn't he?

I've forwarded his vets details so they can contact them as they saw him last week.

Could he possibly just have a hair build up due to moulting making his tum seem hard and impacted?
Lots of buns get this and are absolutely fine and their tums just seem abit swollen.
One of mine had this and she had no problems at all, was just told to make sure she was drinking well (dehydration can cause the problems with fur in the gut) and she was fine.

He is mid-moult for sure, so I guess it could be? He does drink well and his bottle has gone down today.

Im really stressing about this. He was not acting like a sick rabbit, he was grooming himself just before they arrived....I was watching him whilst giving Bonnie her medicine.

Aww Sooz don't stress!!!

If he is absolutely fine in himself it does seem a little rash to go do xrays, could they take him to your own vet for a second opinion?
If the build up is that bad at least it was caught before he became ill and its something you wouldn't be expected to notice!
Who checks their rabbits abdomens everyday if they have no previous history?!

Last edited:
Aww Sooz don't stress!!!

If he is absolutely fine in himself it does seem a little rash to go do xrays, could they take him to your own vet for a second opinion?

I wish I had suggested that but they are at their own vets currently. I know he wont be acting normally due to moving (and now two vets trips) but Im sure the vet would see past this.

The vet has suggested waiting until the morning to do x-rays. Im pretty sure unless he now gets stress induced stasis he will be fine once he has settled at home.

Maybe the vet is having second thoughts too as you cant 'wait and see' with a blockage :?

Just check that they are not expecting you to pay for these very odd veterinary visits. I'd get that rabbit back in your care if I were you!!!

If it aint broke don't fix it :evil:

Just check that they are not expecting you to pay for these very odd veterinary visits. I'd get that rabbit back in your care if I were you!!!

If it aint broke don't fix it :evil:

I dont think its anything malicious, its a perfectly reasonable (and good idea) to get any new pet checked over.

If Alfie is ill then its great that the vet picked up on this early, however the suggested treatment does not seem to follow with the diagnosis which is what is bothering me.

Blockages are life threatening and require intensive nursing. For people without IN experience this would mean admittance to the veterinary practice.

Happy to report Alfie has arrived home and is stuffing his little face. Just need some poops now :)

I would suggest that you have your vet check him out, at least then you know what is going on.
I had somebody take a bun off me a couple of years ago who phoned me to say this rabbit wasn't urinating so I was shocked as she was fine with me, when I suggested to take her to the vet and I would pay then the new owner did :shock: anyway bun was fine and urinated afterwards must have been the stress,
Don't worry you are going through a stressful stage and we all get that but it isn't anything you have missed:D

Sooz stop beating yourself up so much - you go way beyond what most others would and do to make sure those buns are in the best possible health. If he was eating etc this morning there is no reason to think you'd missed anything.
Sounds to me like with all the upheaval little Alfie is just really stressed. Have they perhaps given him a stress dosage of Avipro just to help keep his gut ticking over?

Back