• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I decide......?

honey61

Mama Doe
I was unsure where I should have posted this, so I apologise if it is the wrong place, but as it is more of a moral dilema, I opted for here.
Firstly, I know that the final decision has to be mine, but would appreciate any thoughts on how to reach my decision.
Not sure where to start but here goes....

Yesterday my pair of bonded brothers had an altercation & I posted my concerns in 'care'. This morning though things have taken a turn for the worse.
I let them out at 8am & they both seemed fine.
Later though whilst cleaning out their playhouse, I noticed a spot of blood when I moved a towel on the floor. I went to find them to check them both over & that's when I heard the squealling :cry:
I managed to seperate them but the damage was done. I took Roo straight to the vet & they admitted him for surgery.

The vet has said that under no circumstances can they be together again & here is my dilema. I can't keep them seperately so I have to decide which is to be returned to the rescue. :cry::cry:
Tigger is my favourite (I know you shouldn't have one) although he can be a little aggressive at times, but is a character.
Roo is gentler (although a tease) & a poorly bun now.
My OH suggested that perhaps it might be better to return both & adopt another pair instead, to save me having to choose.
If I keep one without the other, I will always be thinking of & missing the other & wondering what happened to them & if they are being loved as much.....
I'm heart broken & don't know which way to turn...

Sorry for the lengthy post

I am so sorry to hear this,you must be very upset and worried

If it were me i think i would keep the one that was rushed in for surgery and get him better and give him a good life which he deserves.

It is such a hard decision to make,maybe i would keep both but separately.......

Good luck

Jackie

i would try and decide which one is less likely to take a friend again and keep that one. Sometimes if buns fight, the one that was injured may not want to bond again, which could make it difficult for the rescue.

its an awful situation to be in and i really dont know what i would do, you have to decide what you want, which i know is hard xxxx

I really feel for you. It's a hard decision but I would keep Roo the one taken in for surgery. He will probably need special care when he is out of the vets. It's easier said than done though.

Is there no way you can keep them both??

Abbie x x

I would keep your favourite :) A rescue won't usually have problems accommodating a bun needing tlc, they may foster him out. A rabbit with aggression issues would also be harder to home. I don't think it makes sense to pick based on a temporary health issue that will probably be resolved within a couple of weeks.

You may be able to borrow a crate from your vet or elsewhere if you need to temporarily house Roo.

Are you going to feel any better returning both than just one?

It sounds like you'd like to keep Tigger but are worried it's not the 'right thing to do'. Go with your gut and keep him, there aren't any rules for this :)

Tam

I really feel for you. It's a hard decision but I would keep Roo the one taken in for surgery. He will probably need special care when he is out of the vets. It's easier said than done though.

Is there no way you can keep them both??

Abbie x x

Sadly no, I only wish there was. I don't want to part with either of them.
I would hate for Roo to feel frightened & become withdrawn, knowing that Tigger is in the vacinity, as he is a very placid bun....

If Roo isn't going to have any ongoing medical issues I would keep Tigger and rehome (through the original rescue) him to a home with a lady friend and then get Tigger neutered (if not already) and get him a lady friend :D

If, however, Roo was likely to have ongoing issues with his health after the fight (which isn't very likely but possible) then I would keep him and do the same as above as it will be harder to find a home for him if there will be ongoing vet bills.

:)

keep the one that you think will be harder to re home ...why not ring the rescue and have a chat with them ...see if they have a preference at which one should be returned . ;)

Thats so sad - It must be your decision of course, but it will be hard for whicever is returned to the rescue, so maybe consider which would cope best.

Is there no way of having one an indoor bun and perhaps adopt a female friend for the other and have them as an outdoor pair?

Were they both neutered?

How do I decide......? U/D Good News

Thank you all for your advice, suggestions & support.
OH & I have spent last couple of hours discussing situation & possible solutions.....
This will probably cost me (a new Myford Lathe) but.... after a mad dash at 17.20 to buy an ex-large dog crate from Argos, (to keep Roo out of mischief whilst he re-cooperates), dear other OH has suggested he becomes a house bun & we get a mate for Tigger. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Now all I need is to find a mate for Tigger, who incidently must be able to keep him under control..... :D
If anyone has, or knows of a match for Tigger, he would love to hear from them.
There is just one catch..... if this match fails, I have to say goodbye to Tigger....
I am a very happy, relieved bunny. :lol:

OH & I have spent last couple of hours discussing situation & possible solutions.....
This will probably cost me (a new Myford Lathe) but.... after a mad dash at 17.20 to buy an ex-large dog crate from Argos, (to keep Roo out of mischief whilst he re-cooperates), dear other OH has suggested he becomes a house bun & we get a mate for Tigger. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Now all I need is to find a mate for Tigger, who incidently must be able to keep him under control..... :D
There is just one catch..... if this match fails, I have to say goodbye to Tigger....

That's fantastic news, all hail the OH!!

I'm so happy that you've found a way to keep both buns. you must be so happy. good on OH for suggesting it:D good luck in your hunt for a lady friend:D

Oh I am so pleased for you. I think you are going to have the best of both worlds now....an indoor bun to share your lives with as well as giving yet another needy bun a home in your fantastic setup....what lucky buns!! Try giving the rescue a call to see if they have any females in that might be a match. I would also let them handle the bonding process..

There are some females in the Blue Cross in Cambridge right now - young Rexes,

Failing that Caroline Collings in Hertfordshire (but not very far really) always has LOTS and will also help do the bonding. She advertises on rabbit rehome.

Oh I am so pleased for you. I think you are going to have the best of both worlds now....an indoor bun to share your lives with as well as giving yet another needy bun a home in your fantastic setup....what lucky buns!! Try giving the rescue a call to see if they have any females in that might be a match. I would also let them handle the bonding process..

I spoke to the rescue yesterday to explain what had happened & had originally said I would return one of the buns. They told me they had a female to partner with Roo, should I decide to keep him.
I have just called them again this morning to update them on our decision to keep both Tigger & Roo, which I thought would be welcome news, but now I feel almost as anxious as I did yesterday :(
They are now concerned for Roo as his environment has changed from when he was first adopted. I've done my best to reassure them that we will do everything we can to ensure he enjoys a happy life, has everything he needs etc & they are welcome to come & check on him at any time. But already they say he needs to have a mate asap! I've explained that he will have human company all day everyday (he is sat with me now). I'm not saying that he will always be a single bun, but for the moment he is.
I am grateful they want to help me with Tigger too, but I think it is important we find him the right lady bun, so that he will be equally as happy.
This incident only happened yesterday & I haven't had the chance to make everything 'perfect' yet for Roo, but I will. I understand their concerns & they do a wonderful job, but it has left me feeling very uneasy & that I may lose Roo because the situation has changed. :(

Back