• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not sure what's going on with Evo

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
This is a long one, but I'd value your opinions. I know what to do. :( Okay.....

• Tuesday, Evo turns his nose up at food, we go to the vet, vet checks him and finds an ulcer on his tongue. Dental is booked for Wednesday.
  • Wednesday, he has his dental. He recovers well after 2 lots of syringe feeding and is eating hay on his own by the time I go to bed.
  • Post op check - all is well, and he is eating most things. Poos are good.
  • Friday - he is back to normal, totally mental. Running round, begging for treats and honking! :lol:
  • Friday night - within half an hour he has turned from being so well into being very poorly. Won't eat, and tummy is making very loud gurgling noises. I syringe 1ml Infacol, make him run around and give tummy rubs.
  • No improvement after 1 hour, so I do the Infacol again, and a little syringe feeding. Not too much syringe food, in case he has a blockage - maybe 2ml recovery, 4ml coole
    d boiled water and another 1ml Infacol
  • No improvement, but I go to bed at midnight, as I'd been up since 4am! Cried myself to sleep as I didn't think he'd still be here this morning.
  • Wake up at 6am and check on him, no improvement, so I syringe another 1ml water and 1ml Infacol. He also has a little drink on his own, but is very flat.
  • I get up at 7.30, no improvement, so I quickly pop to Sainsbury's so I can go to the vet whenever they have an appointment.
  • Get back at 8.30 and manage to get a vet appointment for 10.50. In the mean time, I syringe another 1ml water and 2ml recover as his tummy is not making gurgling noises any more and isn't as hard.
  • Finally settle down to breakfast at 9am and he has just started munching hay on his own. He has also had a big drink.

So.... what to do? Do I risk upsetting him and still take him to the vet, or see if he improves at home? I'm sure there must be something else going on for him to be like this all the time, what can I investigate?

Has he been having painkiller? I should imagine that a tongue ulcer could be very sore so he may have stopped eating again when the painkiller after the op wore off? Does he have a bottle or a bowl for water? Does he usually get distressed by vet visits? Personally I think I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution and take him, especially as it's Saturday and you wouldn't want to be stuck needing medication on a Sunday if your normal vet is shut.

Has he been having painkiller? I should imagine that a tongue ulcer could be very sore so he may have stopped eating again when the painkiller after the op wore off? Does he have a bottle or a bowl for water? Does he usually get distressed by vet visits? Personally I think I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution and take him, especially as it's Saturday and you wouldn't want to be stuck needing medication on a Sunday if your normal vet is shut.

I wouldn't have thought that the painkiller would have lasted from Wednesday to Friday though?? He's not too bothered by going to the vet, but I was worried about taking him away from food now he's eating again. He won't eat in the carrier.

I am very lucky that my vet does a sit and wait surgery for an hour on Sundays, with the price for consulation only a little higher than normal. I guess I should take him today, so he can have a good check over though.

Awww poor Evo.

I guess its probably best to take him in just incase.. Hope he picks up...or atleast doesn't stop eating again.

sounds like he's better now, so I wouldn't risk upsetting him with another vet visit ....but knowing bunnies he'll then have another episode at around 9pm tomorrow night in the middle of Sunday's gales :roll: Also 'next time' (perish the thought) try syringing warmer water, and more of it - I do 10ml, leave it an hour, then 10ml more, which I prefer to syringing food after Pepsi died of a blockage.

Well we did go, he's had painkiller and metaclopramide. I'm a lot happier syringing him now I know there's no blockage, although he is still nibbling hay for now.

Elve, I always given him warm food and water if I syringe, his lordship demands it! :lol:

Well we did go, he's had painkiller and metaclopramide. I'm a lot happier syringing him now I know there's no blockage, although he is still nibbling hay for now.

Elve, I always given him warm food and water if I syringe, his lordship demands it! :lol:

And so he should! :lol: Glad he's on the mend, at least you know its safe now.
c'mon Evo don't scare mummy like that.

Hi Laura :wave:,

I hope Evo is ok today. Is he eating more for himself now?

Big hugs for you and Evo,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Back