• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild Rabbits - help please :)

HannahBee

Warren Scout
This may not be the right place to be asking this question but thought I might try anyway..

A friend of mine is having problems with wild buns digging up her garden and is getting more than a little annoyed about it!! I was just wondering if any of you know of any humane ways of getting rid of these bunnies because I think her and her husband are seriously considering getting them shot! And as a big rabbit lover I'd hate for that to happen (I like wild buns too!) Anyway what I was thinking is maybe there are certain smells or something that deters bunnies so they don't go in their garden any more (like cats don't like citrus [I think?])!? I know that's probably a stupid question to ask seeing as they are wild!!

:) Thankyou very much xxx

Hiya,

I think you can get sonic repelars that emit high pitched sounds to deter rabbits.

Honestly, shooting probably won't help much, the numbers will just increase again pretty rapidly.

Tam

i know its not very nice but have they got a dog?...no not to attack the rabbits!! but if they put dog poop where the rabbits are digging etc it might scare them away

rabbit proof fencing? bury the wire fencing so they can't dig under - a lot of work though if they're not bothered about bunnies :(

i thnk the best thing would be to put aniseed around as i think(correct me if i am wrong guys) that is smells similar to foxes(though being wild they may be able to tell the dif) also dig about1-2 ft down and put mesh under the fence with a curve too so cant dig down n up. so they cant dig under it also i would say dog idea was good the smell may deter them not sure bout the high pitch sound as it may be really really nasty not sure as dont know enough about them. block up any small holes in the fence which a rabbit can squeeze through. also i would possibly try just going out in the garden a lot as they will be scared of humans and so should run away dont think they will frequent garden as much if they know humans are out there obv this doesnt help at night tho! good luck i hope they dont shoot them as i really dont think it will help.

Hiya,

I think you can get sonic repelars that emit high pitched sounds to deter rabbits.

Honestly, shooting probably won't help much, the numbers will just increase again pretty rapidly.

Tam

I agree and with a bit of dog poop where they are getting in

I fence my back yard / garden, it's a one time job, not just to keep any wild animals out, but thief as well. It works well for over 10 yr. now

Back