• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding female rabbit with an intact male

maisydaisystar

Alpha Buck
Hi,
Trying to find Tilly (neutered female) a neutered male to bond with, there are none close to me. But there is a rescue very close by that has un neutered males, Is it possible to start bonding her with a male that hasn't been de plummed yet to start the bonding process, and then get him neutered shortly after?
Or is this a really bad idea?

From what I've read its definitely best to get him done first. I adopted an intact male (Warren) as a companion for Lily (spayed) but got him done first. They can fall out when one goes to the vets and comes back smelling strange so I think its definitely best to get the lad done first. I did the first introduction today and there was a little dominance humping but no aggression. So fingers crossed :)

If he hasnt been neutered he will still try to hump your girl, which she is REALLY not going to apprechiate, this is just one of the problems. If you were going to get an un-neutered male you would have to neuter him and then wait for his hormones to settle down before you can bond them.

I have tried letting my intact male "play" with my neutered female...it didn't work out very well. He ends up chasing her around trying to mount her constantly, so I wouldn't recommend him. Get him neutered first and give him some time to recover from the operation before introducing them.
This will most likely be the best for both buns

Really want to get a neutered male, but may have to get one and get him neutered myself, Will have to sort out seperate housing which will be a problem that I will have to work out.Don't want to buy another hutch.Well it doesn't bother me but hubby will def not agree.

If the rescue locally isn't neutering their males maybe its because they don't have enough money? Why not offer to pay to have the male that you want neutered while he is still with them - and then after he has settled down and recovered you can introduce them?

(having said that I have one entire male with a neutered female - he cannot go under GA so cannot be neutered and he is SO well behaved and only bothers her just a tiny bit once a day - but them she tried to mount him about once a day too!)

ahhhh bless,
Yes the only rescue in Ipswich that has males at the moment is one run from a ladys home, and I did think about asking her if he could be neutered and I pay for it. and get him at a later date.
Mmmmmm think I may ring her tomorrow.
thanks x

Just had a quick look at the list of rescues and there's four in Suffolk, one in Ipswich which is poss the one you have already tried? But are none of them close enough to you to possibly find a neutered male?

I would definately not put an entire boy with a neutered girl, I have done in the past... as Flint was such a laid back bun, I thought he would be okay with Perdita... WRONG!!! He wouldn't leave her alone, so he was neutered and they then 'got married';):lol: I would ask if the lady could get him neutered if you pay for it and stay there until, he has calmed down? At least she knows he will be going to a good home:D

The other big risk is that an intact male will hump the 'wrong end' (it's not uncommon!) and an irritated female could bite his bits :oops: That could end up in a very painful and serious injury. It can happen with neutered rabbits during bonding too but it's less likely as the male will be slightly less frisky so the female will probably be less agitated.

Back