• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bleak outlook...any advice appreciated

RT

Young Bun
In the last 5 weeks our house rabbit Flopsy has had a really bad run of luck.

It started with an emergency trip to the vets after her teeth had caused a hole in her cheek. She was given a dental and appeared to recover well.

Two weeks later we had to take her back after she had a relapse and she was prescribed a longer course of antibiotics which this time we put in her food (as opposed to in her water as I wasnt happy that she was drinking all of it).

After nearly two weeks on the antibiotics she suddenly went off her food and started producing dark wet looking poo. I took her to the vet but she didnt pick up within a day and so they admitted her to stay.

Anyway, we have been away for the last week so she has been at the vets. We picked her up tonight and she is very thin (I am grateful that she was on the large side before) and the vet was very pessimistic about her chances. Although she has started to eat again and according to the vet nurse her appetite has improved quite a bit in the last day or so, he said that she can't continue like this.

He said to give her 2 -3 days. Interestingly, she ate as soon as she came back from the vets (unusual as she hates the car journey) but she is definately only picking at her food.

Is there anything we can try? She was given another dental on Monday but obviously her teeth will be a problem the longer she continues not to eat properly.

She is still quite lively but I hate to see her wasting away like this. Does anyone have experience of this sort of thing / any advice?

Many thanks

Hello

Firstly has she had any pain relief. Antibiotics are all well and good but if she is still in pain she wont eat
Do you know what antibiotics were prescribed?
Has the Vet mentioned 'Osteomyelitis' (Infection of bone-ie jaw infection) ?
What are you feeding her?

Sorry for the interogation :oops: but a bit more info' may help us offer some advice

Janex

hello again

I forgot to mention that she had to be syringe fed for 5 -6 days.

She was on Batryil for the antibiotic. Vet is convinced that there is no infection or other problem and he says her condition is v "frustrating."

He has tried the drug that is meant to get their gut going (begins with an m) and a probiotic and fiborex.

The drug with an m cleared up the diarrhea eventually although the vet says her poo still isnt totally normal (not seen any yet).

I have to say, we are v worried that she is really quiet this evening. She clearly isn't herself as she is just sitting in her hutch whereas normally she would be keen to get out and run around. Also, if I open her hutch she usually comes to the door but she is just sitting there and doesn't seem to appreciate the attention like she normally does.

Dont worry about the questions, i really appreciate the advice

Thank you :D

Last edited:
she sounds like she might be in a bit of pain...is she "scrunched up" in her pen? making grunting noises or grinding her teeth? thats her way of saying "ouch". the drug begining with m ,was it metaclopramide? its used for getting her tummy going.she might need more if her poo still isnt right.

Yes I'd agree with the others - it sounds as if she is in pain and would benefit from some painkillers - a sore mouth can be enough to stop a bun from eating. Personally I would ring today and insist on painkillers and if your vet refuses then I would change vet! Buns can pick up quite quickly if they are given medication which stops or reduces the pain and conversely can deteriorate very quickly if they are not. Depending on the type of painkiller and how it is administered will depend on how often it will need to be given, but I would definitely think this would be a worthwhile thing to do today.

i would ask for painkillers metacam is a popular choice and seems to work effectivly but one injection wont be enough as soon a sit wears off will be in pain again so i would take some home to syringe into her sounds very much like pain related poor thing iif she is a cuddly rabbit(i know some are some arent) then get her on your lap and gently stroke her giveing her calming vibes too this can help de stress her as stress will worsen things(obv if she not like cuddles dont do this!!)

our vet always gives us a 10 ml bottle that you can syringe into the mouth.
we paid about £10 for the 10 mls. jess was on it for mouth abscesses and she weighed 4.7 kilo .max dose 8 drops daily ,the bottle lasts ages!

I agree with every one else...
but above all else I would change my vet. It doesn't sound like they really know what they are doing with rabbits and they seem far too vague to me about her condition. Please seek a second opinion.

Baytril

In my experience it may be a good idea to change antibiotics. Its not pleasent but at the moment i am injecting two bunnies daily one with a penicillin type antibiotics this is for incontinence caused by good old E-cuniculi and the other is for a retrobulbar abcess in the eye socket, this one is Marbocyl injected daily. The vet would show you how to do the injections there generaly more effective than baytril and as baytril is oral it effects the flora/faauna of the gut and will not help if bunny is having digestive problems.

xxbunnyhuggersxx

I agree with everyone else that I would have thought pain relief is a must. Perhaps an xray to view the whole of the jaw properly to see if the problem is being caused by misaligned teeth or perhaps a root or jaw infection as Jack's Jane mentioned
She may be needing stronger antibiotics to clear up an infection as I think usually baytril is not effective for jaw infections etc.
If she is given a stronger antibiotic she would need additional support to make sure her guts were not adversely affected (the baytril may be what caused her dark runny poo before perhaps :? I'm not sure if baytril is strong enough to do so) Probiotic would be needed. Also Jack's Jane could tell you more about a drug called Questran that can be used for a bun on strong antibiotics to help prevent gut trouble.
I would maybe syringe feed her some of her usual pellets mixed with cooled boiled water? Or maybe just water with a hint of apple juice, to help prevent her becoming dehydrated.
It does sound though like your vet isn't very bunny savvy.
Maybe if you posted where you are someone here could recommend a good one to you?
It does sound like she needs veterinary attention asap but by a bunny savvy one who can do a proper investigation and fine out what is causing her the trouble.
Good luck x x x

Poor Flopsey. One of mine has teeth problems and you really need to have her X-rayed to look at how bad the problem is and if it can be controlled by regular dentals.

I agree with everyone else that she sounds like she may need some pain relief. Mine had a spur that cut the tongue in January and was given Baytril which cleared things up (we injected it for a couple of days only).

As Fairy 13 says, see if someone on here can recommend a vet near to you who is more experienced with bunnies.

Back