• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Bailey- urine scald

Kim_w

Mama Doe
I took Bailey to the vets today because she had a poorly bum.:cry: It was soaked in urine, poor little thing. I had bathed her a few times myself but It didnt seem to make any difference. When I get her form the rescue home they told me she had suffered from urine scald before.
Today she has had her bum bathed and the fur cut away with scissors 6 injections and a blood test to see if she has a bladder/kidney infection.
She is home now and a bit sleepy, bless her. I have been worried sick all day sat on the edge of my seat waiting for the phone to ring!!:roll:

£129.41 vet bill OMG!!!!!

She is definantly worth it shes so sweet. She breaks my heart because even when I was bathing her in my bathroom sink and drying her with a towel she is as good as gold and doesnt even wriggle or bite, she is an angel. I nearly started crying in the vets because I felt so sorry for her (that might have something to do with my pregnancy hormones!!!!)
x

I know that buns react very differently to this - but my Florence who had to be bathed daily loved a low level heat hairdryer to dry her after bathing. It really helped dry her fur so that she didn't stay damp so long and she loved the warmth!

Just a thought.

Awww bless her :love: I've found that applying some vasaline to the area will help keep urine off the skin, therefore making urine scald less severe :) Hope you can find the cause of the problem :)

Thankyou everybody!!! The vet has given me some fuciderm gel to rub on her and some antibiotics.
She has been sat with the front half of her body in her food bowl all night-didnt look very comfey.
She is lay flat out now so looks a lot comfier but she doesnt seem to have gone to the toilet much last night, I will have to keep a close eye on that.
x

Hi - have you found out what is causing this? I had an incontinent foster. He was like it off & on for months. His turned out to be EC. He had no other symptoms. I had to treat all my buns with 6 weeks panacur. He had previously had panacur before, but for shorter periods of time, which didn't fix him.

Hope your bun is ok

Hi - have you found out what is causing this? I had an incontinent foster. He was like it off & on for months. His turned out to be EC. He had no other symptoms. I had to treat all my buns with 6 weeks panacur. He had previously had panacur before, but for shorter periods of time, which didn't fix him.

Hope your bun is ok

The vet has taken a blood sample to test for EC, he said the results could take up to a week so I should have them when I take her back for a check up on thursday. When I got her from the rescue home they said she had suffered from urine scald before and they and their vet had tried everything and the only thing that worked was putting her on a diet of lettuce, cucumber, hay and dried grass which makes her wee like water. She is still on this diet and the vet always comments on how healthy she looks whenever he sees her.
I just hope he can find out what has caused her to get it quite bad, poor little thing. She seems a lot happier today. x

Back