• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Well it had to happen..are we the first?

rspcarabbits

Warren Scout
Had a call from a lady about a week ago who had re-homed a "rescued bunny "from a certain pet shop only 2 weeks previous who now could no longer look after it as her son is allergic to the fur.

She was advised to contact the well known store and take it back as they re-home "rescue rabbits" and it was only right and proper they have the opportunity to deal with it as it is one of their "rescues".

She contacted us later in the day to inform me they were full and I advised her to keep trying and in the meantime I would put her on our list.

I have since contacted her as we now have a space and upon speaking to her ,she informes me that the store could not take it back till at least the end of March or after easter in other words. She also told me she received no information about the rabbits past other than the previous owner could not look after him or advice re neutering or cost of and likewise vaccinations.

The bunny is coming to us on Monday when she can get it to us and all being well after neutering and vaccinations will be advertised through here.

Well this is the first "rescue" rabbit we have had to deal with from this place who at this time of year are too full for the next 3-4 weeks, but.....are we the first to take in such a "rescue" rabbit ? and we're looking for suitable topical names for the little fellow believed to be a male but only 50% sure.

I make no comment about the above circumstances or timing but can I re-assure all readers that once he has come through us he/she will be neutered, fully vaccinated , paired up , re-homed to the correct environment and on the right diet, and should its subsequent re-homing fail for whatever reason we will bust a gut to get the little fellow back straight away as he/she will be "one of ours " so to speak and we will somehow "make space" as its well being will be to some degree "at risk".

Well it was bound to happen because the scheme is badly run.

I was shocked the other night to talk to a lady who had adopted a p@h rescue guinea pig and was utterly convinced it was the rspca she had adopted it from, even though it was from the pet store. I knew straight away it wasn't ours as it was an unneutered boar who had been rehomed to live alone as he was aggressive with other males :roll: We would have neutered him and partnered him with a female. I don't know why she was given the impression that it was an rspca rescue, but it's very worrying.

She went in to buy some rabbit supplies and came out with a guinea pig which was a complete impulse buy. Luckily she is a nice person who is looking after him well and will be adopting a pair of guinea from us soon.

Needless to say we went in and scoured the store to see what could have given her the certainty that it was us she'd adopted from. Theres nothing in store, so maybe it was something that was said which is so worrying I can't tell you!

Our local one has posters up from Blue Cross.....which initially led ME to believe that the scheme was run by or in some way connected to the Blue Cross, or that the Blue Cross would benefit from it in some way. As this definately ISN'T the case, I find there strategic placement of these posters around the adoption area to be extremely misleading.:?

Back