• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starsky was out there in the POURING rain

Kibbles

Mama Doe
Well, as you may know, I'm waiting for his profleece to arrive so he is living in his run right now. The run is attatched to his hutch, so he can go to the bit thats under the hutch if he wants.
Got up this morning.
Looked out the window.
Rain Was POURING.
Of course my only thought was Starsky, so I ran out there without bothering to attach the hood to my coat, therefore my hair got soaked. Starsky was in a corner, bunched up, soaking wet. I brought him inside and right now he's sitting next to me and is drying very quickly... Am I just overreacting? :?

I wouldn't worry. ^^
I leave mine out if it is raining lightly, and one day I had to nip down the road when the weather was a bit iffy... then it started pouring down, so I ran back. Amber, the girly bun, had stayed at the end of the run that is sheltered and was not wet at all. But Barney had deliberately sat where it was going to drench him. He looked like a little drowned rat, and obviously blamed me for not bringing him in sooner... I just dried him off with an old towel and he was fine. He didn't seem to suffer from it at all.

Rabbits can swim too, among other things.

My old rabbit jumped in the pool :shock:, scared the bejesus out of me and just swam fine... Then the little ******* ran over the lawn and it all stuck to him, before he got me all wet too :lol:

Cant you put some newspaper in his hutch til the profleece arrives? I dont really think that a run is adequate housing, however short the length of time. Them choosing to sit out in it is one thing, but he barely has any shelter X

Cant you put some newspaper in his hutch til the profleece arrives? I dont really think that a run is adequate housing, however short the length of time. Them choosing to sit out in it is one thing, but he barely has any shelter X

agreed! I didn't imagine the delay in profleece delivery meant that his hutch was out of bounds :shock: Has he been left out in his run all through this awful cold, snowy, icy, gales et.c we've had recently?

Last edited:
I would just leave it up to the rabbit too decide what they want too do.

Rick

I think you have to make decisions for them based on what you know to be good for them - I wouldn't let a small child go out in the snow with no coat for instance, although they'd want to no doubt :) In the wild a rabbit would be in a burrow when it rained, and in the wild they'd only live a year max, so they're obviously not very good at looking after themselves :?

Well, as you may know, I'm waiting for his profleece to arrive so he is living in his run right now. The run is attatched to his hutch, so he can go to the bit thats under the hutch if he wants.
Got up this morning.
Looked out the window.
Rain Was POURING.
Of course my only thought was Starsky, so I ran out there without bothering to attach the hood to my coat, therefore my hair got soaked. Starsky was in a corner, bunched up, soaking wet. I brought him inside and right now he's sitting next to me and is drying very quickly... Am I just overreacting? :?

Do you mean you have a double storey hutch and the top half is closed off so he can shelter in the bottom half?
If so, and he decided to sit in the rain thats fine. My two love grazing in the rain!
If its a case of he has no 'proper' shelter then you def need to open up the hutch for him to use if he wishes, for insatnce, most rabbits don't tend to like the wind and will shelter from that.
Is there a reason that you can only use profleece as a bed for him? If not, just stuff it with straw for now. Mine love their deep straw bed :D

Do you mean you have a double storey hutch and the top half is closed off so he can shelter in the bottom half?
If so, and he decided to sit in the rain thats fine. My two love grazing in the rain!
If its a case of he has no 'proper' shelter then you def need to open up the hutch for him to use if he wishes, for insatnce, most rabbits don't tend to like the wind and will shelter from that.
Is there a reason that you can only use profleece as a bed for him? If not, just stuff it with straw for now. Mine love their deep straw bed :D

I agree, if he has access to a warm and dry shelter and has decided to stay out that is up to him (make sure you dry him off before bed though). However, if he has no choice but to sit out, then you need to give him access to a proper shelter with warm bedding.

I agree with Leanne.

Defiently don't leave him sat out with no shelter, you can clean the hutch again when the pro fleece arrives.

Ohh, no, the weather's been fine here, it's just this particular day that it's rained. There's been no frost or snow or ice or anything like that here. I took him inside until it stopped raining, and luckily the profleece has arrived. If the weather had been horrid the whole time, yes I would definitely give him access to the hutch; but this is the first time it's rained since he's been in there. He's now in his cozy hutch, snuggling with his profleece.

Sasha

:wave:

I still dont understand why he couldnt go in the hutch just because the profleece hadnt arrived. Even with no other bedding, the hutch is at least shelter. And surely you could have improvised other bedding anyway.

(Sorry, havent read any previous thread so may be I just dont understand. Just seems very peculiar and unnecessary at first sight.)

Well, for one thing, Starsky spent most of his time in the run anyway, even when his hutch was open. The weather conditions were excellent, and he did have shelter because there is a half of his run where the hutch is above it, so he had a roof.

Starsky spent most of his time in the run anyway, even when his hutch was open.... there is a half of his run where the hutch is above it, so he had a roof

Luckily the weather has been good where you are. What would you have done if it hadnt been? Staying outside if it's his choice is fine, but he didnt have any AND I still dont see why he couldnt go in the hutch :?

Having a roofed area is good, but it's not the same as proper shelter with WALLS and a roof and a doorway, where you can tuck yourself away out of the draughts and rain blowing in. And even in good weather it's nice to have somewhere to hide if you want 'time out'. Seems mean and unfair to me to shut him out of a hutch for a few days due to lack of bedding. (But then, again, I dont know the full story.)

Kay. Full story.

I would never do anything to hurt, discomfort, or cause unhapiness to Starsky.

Last Monday I cleaned out his hutch; a huge cleanout, scrubbing and all. The whole reason we got him this profleece was because we thought that the straw as bedding wasn't really the best. So this big scrub; we expected the profleece to arrive pretty soon. Now, I was going to have Starsky living inside until the profleece arrived in a dog crate, so I was going to assemble it. We got to the garage, and our garage is absolutely stuffed. The crate was behind a massive wardrobe, so we couldn't get that. My mum-NOT me-said that he'd have to go in the run. So I packed up the run with hay and straw and made it a cozy little place for him.
Let me just say that every time I used to look out the window, Starsky was in the run. When he had access to the hutch. He was just always in there, and only went up to drink and eat.
I couldn't refill his hutch with straw and hay. I had nothing else to use in his hutch. My first thought was to bring him inside. Starsky is used to being in his run the whole time. He was fine, and if the weather conditions had been bad then YES, I would definitely put something in his hutch for him to go in there. But he is in his hutch now, and Starsky had no problems in his run.
If the weather or ANYTHING was there which Starsky wouldn't have liked, I would have done something about his hutch immediately. Nothing happened. :cry:

Kay. Full story.

I would never do anything to hurt, discomfort, or cause unhapiness to Starsky.

Last Monday I cleaned out his hutch; a huge cleanout, scrubbing and all. The whole reason we got him this profleece was because we thought that the straw as bedding wasn't really the best. So this big scrub; we expected the profleece to arrive pretty soon. Now, I was going to have Starsky living inside until the profleece arrived in a dog crate, so I was going to assemble it. We got to the garage, and our garage is absolutely stuffed. The crate was behind a massive wardrobe, so we couldn't get that. My mum-NOT me-said that he'd have to go in the run. So I packed up the run with hay and straw and made it a cozy little place for him.
Let me just say that every time I used to look out the window, Starsky was in the run. When he had access to the hutch. He was just always in there, and only went up to drink and eat.
I couldn't refill his hutch with straw and hay. I had nothing else to use in his hutch. My first thought was to bring him inside. Starsky is used to being in his run the whole time. He was fine, and if the weather conditions had been bad then YES, I would definitely put something in his hutch for him to go in there. But he is in his hutch now, and Starsky had no problems in his run.
If the weather or ANYTHING was there which Starsky wouldn't have liked, I would have done something about his hutch immediately. Nothing happened. :cry:

doesn't he have hay to eat though? mine don't have anything in their hutches except massive litter boxes full of hay, which they snuggle down in (they're underbed storage boxes).

Rabbits can swim too, among other things.

:shock: Well, you learn something new every day!!!:shock:

TP;)

mine are idiots, they don't realise they have a large sheltered area so when it rains (which is often in wales), they just sit in the wet getting soggy until i shoo them into the hutch!

Back