• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Old age

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
I've never had a rabbit which has survived to old age :(. My oldest so far is Mona who will be 6 in April (touch wood). Anyway I know that dogs and cats show signs of old age such as arthiritis or darker gums and slower movement and reduced activity. But is it the same for rabbits? Mona still acts like a kit sometimes, always the first out to play and the last in. Are there any health problems which are likely to occur in the older rabbit such as diabetes, blindness or cancer? I know about the high risk of uterine cancer but all my girls were done a couple of years ago, so that is not a risk.

Thank you Jane, those links were very imformative, now I know what to look out for. Mona is not showing any of these signs as yet but it is interesting to know what can occur in the older bunnie. :)

I have just had a wonderful article written for the next issue of Bunny Mad magazine by author Marie Mead. Its called Caring for an elderly bunny. It tells you everything you need to know and what to look out for. It's something i've always beend concerned about and found it very helpful.

we have a bun who is nearly 7 yo... shes still very sprightly , the only thing is sometimes she needs some pain killers for her arthritis plus her bladder isnt as good as it used to be.(we have checked her for any other reasons that could cause loss of bladder control but its definatly old age!)

chelsea is 10 so older lol she is less mobile than she used to be but not to the effect she cant run she just cant be bothered too much lol i think they need warmth more as they age and more time and affection as they are more suceptible to catch things as with an older person may be. they also seem to take longer to recover from things for example last year chelsea had myxi and it took her 5 months to recover bless her vet originally said around 1 month...so as you can imagine it was a trying time genreally they seem happy chelsea enjoys company of other rabbits but seemingly not on her turf so she visits rabbits. its an odd way to do things bu she doesnt seem to want to bond properly but is content to be elsewhere with other rabbits.maybe she just set in her ways tho!

Back