• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help in fostering my buns

xEMMAx

Warren Veteran
Not been on here for a while... been veeeery busy.

Have been to a few interviews for becomming an air hostess... looking only to do charter flights so I'd be able to keep my buns with me. BUT I have been given the opportunity to work for British Airways, I didn't think for a minute that they'd ever consider me... but I've been offered the job and I'd be absolutely crazy to turn it down!

Obviously this creates problems as to what will happen to my bunnies :( I'll be moving to London, while travelling I'll be making trips up to 3 days long. Obviously I can no way leave my bunnies this long. Once I have been doing the job for a while I'll be able to afford to rent somewhere where I can take my bunnies, and arrange a pet sitter for when I'm away.

Basically looking for a temporary foster for them all. I have a single bun, a couple and a trio. Ideally I'd like to be able to visit a lot (when I am in the country) and I'd pay for all food/toys/vets bills. And can transport the hutches they have at the moment.

Would anyone be able to help me out at all??

Not sure of exact dates, but will probably be around May/June time (waiting for BA to get back to me with a start date). Any help is REALLY appreciated :) Just want to get things sorted nice and early so I don't end up in a panic. Just want the absolute best for them... I can't live without them and there's no way I'd be able to permanently rehome them!

Thank you :)

Thanks Mandy :) ... and Becki ;)

Yes Jill I did. that was for very different reasons. I need help on this because in the long term it'll mean a better life for me and my rabbits... at the moment I'm only just surviving on the money I earn. To be an air hostess is an absolute dream for me, and I feel so lucky to be accepted. Like I said, when I first move to London there's no way I'll be able to afford somewhere that'll accept my rabbits, but once I start flying it shouldn't be a problem. I love my rabbits very much and have no intention at all of rehoming them permanently. Also said previously I'll pay for everything I need and provide hutches. Just looking for someone who's got some extra space :)

..thought it rang a bell!!!yep lives do change..and an air hostess does sound exciting:D
lets hope someone can help

Congratulations on your new job :)

Personally if it were me I think I'd accept that my life at the moment isn't ideal for keeping rabbits - and realistically probably won't be for quite some time - and I'd consider rehoming them permanently. Even when you are established working and have a flat etc you'll probably be spending long periods away from home and you have to question whether that's fair on the bunnies. Good luck whatever you decide to do and enjoy your job!

Congratulations on your new job :)

Personally if it were me I think I'd accept that my life at the moment isn't ideal for keeping rabbits - and realistically probably won't be for quite some time - and I'd consider rehoming them permanently. Even when you are established working and have a flat etc you'll probably be spending long periods away from home and you have to question whether that's fair on the bunnies. Good luck whatever you decide to do and enjoy your job!

Thank you :D

Hmm. I really don't know. I've tried working it out and with BA you have a bidding system and part of that you can say how long you want your trips to be... so I could potentially get all there and back in a day... and you tend to have half the week off anyway. As it's only short haul to begin with the longest I could stay away is 3 days. Staying with BA I won't be able to transfer to the long haul fleet for at least 2 years (biiiig waiting list!) So I think it could be managable. Would just have to find a good petsitter!

Just can't imagine totally giving up my bunnies :(

pet sitters can be quite pricey.

I know someone who used to work for BA and she would often find that she would go somewhere expecting to be back the same night and then get stuck abroad because of bed weather, strikes etc etc.

Also bear in mind that the cost of living in London is EXTREMLEY expensive and to find a flat with a garden is going to cost a pretty penny.

Im not trying to be negative I just thought that these are things you may want to think about whilst you are making decisions.

pet sitters can be quite pricey.

I know someone who used to work for BA and she would often find that she would go somewhere expecting to be back the same night and then get stuck abroad because of bed weather, strikes etc etc.

Also bear in mind that the cost of living in London is EXTREMLEY expensive and to find a flat with a garden is going to cost a pretty penny.

Im not trying to be negative I just thought that these are things you may want to think about whilst you are making decisions.

Yeah I've looked into flat/house prices around Heathrow, got a bit of a shock but it's something I'd be able to afford... eventually.

Hmmm, didn't think about getting stuck somewhere :? That's a big thing to think about.

Thank you :)

Hi there.

Congrats on your job offer.

I don't live far from LHR and would offer to foster your buns, however I don't really think that this is a good solution for you or your buns.

I worked for BA for 18 years at Heathrow and the last 7 was spent as crew. I have to agree with someone who has already said that you may want to consider re-homing rather than fostering out your buns. If you get Shorthaul you will probably be away for 3-4 night stops a week, sometimes not coming home at all in between all of the days away. You may also find yourself doing very long days followed by more very long days. I used to do Moscows and Athens often and these are 12 hour days. I would also often start at 05.30 so no time before to do anything except get yourself out of the door. I would also not get back until 11pm.

If you get longhaul. You will probably get a maximum of 3/4 days at home at any one time. Some trips can be a week or longer so no chance of you caring for your bunnies then.

I really don't want to tell you what to do, but just give you an insight into what sort of time in reality you will see at home - not much, especially when you are new - you may get quite a lot of the grottier trips until your seniority builds up). Plus, if one of your bunnies seems off colour just before your trip, you won't be able to just not go to work until later, when you have seen your vet. The plane won't wait for you. I have lost a whole weeks roster and the associated expenses before because I got stuck in traffic and was late by 10 minutes.

I loved flying and I am sure that you will too. You will get to see lots of great places and meet loads of new people, but, I am just not sure how you will manage to do that and have your bunnies.

I do wish you all the best though and hope you can manage to sort somethng out.

Helen

Following on from Helen another thing you need to concider is that aircraft do go tech occasionally and you might find yourself stuck somewhere unexpectedly so you'll need a very flexible pet sitter as well. Good Luck with the job and congratulations!

Congratulations Emma! It may be that rehoming is the only suitable long-term option for you but I guess that you'll be able to assess that for yourself once you are actually doing the job while your buns are in foster care.

Good luck with it!

Thanks very much Helen, that's certainly given me things to think about :? Hmm from what you've said it does look as if rehoming would be a better option for the bunnies :( Oh god thought I had a good plan! Obviously didn't think about the downsides enough :oops: I do tend to think I live in a perfect world at times :roll:

So yeah, would either be very long term fostering... or totally rehoming. Not sure I'd be able to find anyone willing to foster indefinitely :? Argh, REALLY don't know what to do now! I've had rabbits as pets over 14 years now, I love them so much... but I can't just keep them for selfish reasons :(

Thank you everyone for your replies :)

Hey Emma

Just curious, are your bunnies indoor buns or outdoor buns? Just looking at your signature made me wonder.

Also, were you originally thinking about fostering back home in the Chester area or down in the south? Are you wanting them all to be fostered by the same person or will you let them go to different homes?

Just want to know if there is anything I can do to help you even in the short term when you start.

I actually think that it would be a good idea to foster your buns out in the first place anyway so you don't rush into your decision. I say this because you might actually hate the training, hate the hours, find it difficult being away from your family and friends and it would be awful if you did re-home your bunnies out and then regret doing it.

I am mentioning this because I do know people who either dropped out of training or didn't stay very long after passing their exams. Finances will be very hard at first. As you probably know, you won't get any expenses whilst training and then they only get paid in arrears so it will be a good few months before you start earning that much. This means that most 'newbies' can't afford to go out or go home to see their folks/friends. It also made it quite difficult for some to run a car etc due to the costs involved. (Sorry if this sounds bleak - it was very hard when I started, but it does get better)

I am sure that it will all work out well in the end and if you really want to do this, you WILL find a way to.

If you decide to go for fostering at first, I might be able to help out - I live 20 minutes drive from LHR but I couldn't take any house buns as I have two of my own and a very rabbit sensitive cat! PM me if you want to discuss...

Good luck.

i can possibly foster for you would need to speak to other half first though as he may not be too keen on the idea of more rabbits. they would need to be outdoors buns can i confirm their current living accomodation? i work at heathrow but with the trains and i find shift work is best for me and my buns but i guess its different for flying as i come home every day and am off for 4 days at a time. see what you decide i cannot rehome them for you so i would only be a temperary place and as i say need to speak to other half about it but it is a possibility of them staying with me. i would also insist(tho they prob already are) that they were vaccs as i wudnt want to risk the buns i have health. also are you looking for someone to foster all your buns in one place as i dont think i could take on 6 i dont have that large a garden could possibly take on one set for a while as i said depends on oh but let us know what you decide is best and for how long you're thinking of as an arrangement/..... on 2nd thoughts the house opposite me is for sale if you bought that the buns could live with you and when you away i could look after them?! lol ok not ideal just saying!

Back