• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

yet another awful story .. feel so sad update p5

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
im so very sad . :(

i had a call today from a welknown animal rescue organisation. . They had removed 31 bunnies being used for breeding . I dont have details of the conditions they were kept in ...but looking at the state of the 6 brought here....well need i say more :(:(:(:(:(

out of 31 i know 8 made it into rescue . I have been told some others also found rescue places but dont know how many or where .:( the rest were PTS . i was told they were in a terrible state :evil::evil::evil:

We took 2 boys and 4 girls (and someone is taking care of 2 others until we have space.....)

Thank you Sooz for taking 2 of the girls , even though they are possibly pregnant and in need of vet treatment .

the 2 boys here dont seem too bad except one may have a runny nose .

the 2 girls here are big girls and im almost certain they are pregnant .

they are all quite chunky so not been starved but their claws are horrendous . just falling out :shock: and so very long .
The way they move ...close to the ground makes me think they have been kept in tiny hutches with no height .:? i hope they have no lasting spinal problems .:(

i feel so sad and disheartened . 8 bunnies is such a small number out of so many .:(

PLEASE NOTE ....
Pleaase do not turn this into a breeder hate thread ...:(

this was NOT a proper breeder ...just someone with no scruples and a bit of space between his vegetables :evil::(

Last edited:
I feel so, so terrible for these poor bunnies. It sounds as though none of them ever had any sort of a nice life whatsoever. 8 out 31 is awful......but I am sure that those 8 must be some of the happiest bunnies on the planet at the moment. Well done for saving the ones that could be saved. I hope that the people/person responsible for this cruelty is dealt with as harshly as the law will allow.:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Its so incredibly sad that this keeps happening :( Poor poor bunnies, i cant imagine how they must have suffered :cry::cry::cry::cry::evil:

I have just this minute finished an hours worth of work on one of the rabbits, Tundra.

She is a Cashmere, I would guess about 18 months old. I think she is pregnant but not 100% sure. Her claws have been cut back and two have fallen out. I have had to file layers of muck, about 3mm thick from around her remaining nails.

There was blood all over the floor of her box and old bite wounds to her ears.

She has had a good groom and has several bald patches form the matts. She also has urine burn :cry:

The other female, Bonnie a sealpoint lop, is severely overweight. She appears to have a problem with her rear end as she cannot hop. This may be linked to her weight but I think she may have an injury to her left hindleg.

She has had 2cm trimmed from each claw and one removed. I can feel kits in her abdomen and I do not think she would pull through an emergency spey due to her size.

She also has snuffles.

I am honestly so upset about these two rabbits and also that there were so many other we could not help.

Such a sad story- the 8 that are in rescues will now have a chance of a better life, so sad for the ones that didn't make it:(

Sue x

we have named our two girls Petal and Lana . my 9 year old grand daughter named them as she was here when they arrived and i wanted her to take an interest ...educate young :?

these two are also overweight and im sure i have felt something move in Petals abdomen ...:(

i am reluctant to put either through an emergency spay ...although we have considered it :(

Lana has sevarel tears in one of her ears .

Sooz ...these two girls also dont seem to be moving right .

which is why im wondering if they have been confined in a hutch with no height . i ve seem similar before in cases where they didnt have room to stretch up .:?

Angie, If I can be of any help with them then I do have a couple of spare hutches (I am saying that quiet), just shout:D

Bonnie has a scar across her lower lip, it looks like it has been ripped open at some stage.

Tundra is moving OK but Im worried about Bonnie. I cannot feel a break but she is def. favouring her left rear leg.

She cant hop but crawls, I think there may be some spinal weakness and its exacerbated by her weight.

I have her in a smallish cage as I dont want her moving too much. Im debating nest boxes incase the stress induces either of them. :?

I am nearly in tears, this is bringing back so many memories of Flint's rescue... a full grown English in a squalid 3ft hutch:censored::cry: He was all hunched up and the reason I turned him free range, so he never had to live like that again... Well done you guys and good luck girls and boys, (((HUGE VIBES))):D

These rabbits are lucky to have been placed with you both and I hope they have bright futures. Sending lots of healing vibes for them all ~*~*~

Back