• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just been neutered / lampshade

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Hi

My little Sammy got back from the vets about 40 mins ago. He's is resting for now.
When we got him he had a lampshade on (poor wee guy), we were told probably best to take it off to let him eat and then put it back on.
We took it off as soon as we got home as he couldnt get to his water and he didnt look to comfy with it on either. He's a bit dopey at the moment so putting the lampshade back on might not be a problem tonight but I imagine he wont be pleased about it the next few days.

Just wanted to know what you guys have done with this problem.

I know its for his own good so he doesnt get to his wound but has anyone left it off without there being a problem?

None of mine have ever had collars after being neutered.

I have never had any problems, apart from a little licking my bunnies have always left their wounds alone.
My vet uses glue rather than stitches, I don't know if this make a difference to the post op care.

Were you given a reason for the collar?

Only had one female in a collar due to picking herself open twice. The collars supplied really need to be adapted, cut down and taped to allow them to eat if they are to be left on unsupervised. I would keep an eye on him and if he isnt touching his wound I personally wouldnt put one on him.:)

I've never had a bun sent home with a collar only Velvet had to wear one when we took him back as he ripped his stiches open.

I've never had a collar on any of mine either.

Like others have said, if he seems to be leaving the wound alone, he should be OK without it.

At the moment he isnt interested in his wound at all but I worry if he starts iratating it when we are asleep and not watching.

What about eating - when do they normally eat again. He is surrounded by different foods just now but is not interested, he has drunk loads though! not been to the toilet either.

It can take 24hours for buns to start eating properly again after their ops, some just nibble at bits and bats for a while whereas others can dive right back in. As long as he's warm and comfortable and pooping he should gradually come round :D

The main concern is that he won't be able to eat his caecotrophs with his collar on. Could you not try something like a bitterapple spray to put him off licking/ nibbling his bits?

The main concern is that he won't be able to eat his caecotrophs with his collar on. Could you not try something like a bitterapple spray to put him off licking/ nibbling his bits?

Yeah I read that the collar can get really messy too. I'll just keep watching him for now hopefully he wont be interested in his wound.

Maisie undid her stitches and was stapled so she had a collar...she was fine with it but i had to pad the rim with tape and cotton wool as her ears were rubbed by it. i fed her some caecotrophs twice a day and she was fine.

when Benjamin Fairweather was castrated i asked for a collar to be put on rather than have him undo his stitches...he was also fine and i fed him his poo too.

i'd rather see my rabbit in the collar than see a re-opened surgery site:lol:

One of my boys got a collar after his castration about 4 years ago. He was ok in the evening but by morning he was worrying away at his stitches so he got a collar for 2 days. He tolerated it remarkably well.
My youngest boy got done a couple of weeks ago. He didn't get a collar as he appeared not to pick at his stitches but he was cleaning the area excessively. Unless you can monitor him all the time I'd keep the collar on but only if he shows signs of disturbing the area.

One of my boys got a collar after his castration about 4 years ago. He was ok in the evening but by morning he was worrying away at his stitches so he got a collar for 2 days. He tolerated it remarkably well.
My youngest boy got done a couple of weeks ago. He didn't get a collar as he appeared not to pick at his stitches but he was cleaning the area excessively. Unless you can monitor him all the time I'd keep the collar on but only if he shows signs of disturbing the area.

I think I will put the collar on him when we go to bed, it will give me peace of mind that he's not touching his stitches I just hope he can get to his food and water with it on.

Sounds like a good idea leaving it on overnight just in case. My poor boy Bertie has had a collar on for over a week now as he ripped his glue stitches out twice in the first 12 hours after castration (both times whilst still at the vets and after being returned) and then even managed to get the collar off the following night and rip them out again resulting in lots of blood and a very expensive 10pm visit to the vets. He then had to have a full scrotal ablution with internal sutures and has been indoors with a collar on (now crisscrossed under his front legs and tied behind his back as well) for a week. He is able to eat hay, pellets and veg easily and drink without modifying the collar and has been eating his droppings but that gets the collar pretty messy so it's needed a wipe every morning. I should be able to remove it this weekend, but won't do it until I have a full day at home just in case. He is definitely fed up with it and it is awful to watch him trying to groom himself through the collar. I have been assured by the vets that this is a major exception and normally rabbits leave their wounds alone - Bertie is just special (£220 special after 2 surgeries bless his fluffy socks!)

Oh ****! I cant get his collar back on. He seems to be doing something to his wound but I think he's only licking it, sometimes he's licking his back feet which looks as if he's at his wound. I picked up and checked him in his little area seems very clean.

Do you know where the actual incision is made?

I assume its ok for the wound to be licked?

My bunny just got neutered on Monday and didn't wear a collar or pay too much interest to his wound. My vet said that he'll only really fiddle with his wound if it's sore, and the painkiller injection given after his op should stop this.

I noticed Rocky tending to it a couple of times after about 8 hours of being home, but I actually think he was just getting back to his usual self and eating his caecotrophs. I do get a little paranoid!

I think wearing the collar might stress the bunny out a little, so would be beneficial not have it so he can get back to normal?

Did the vet ask you to go back in a few days for a post-op check up?

Also, if your bunny had glue and/or internal stitches which dissolved then he shouldn't really be able to pull the stitches out

oh and we were advised not to let our bunny jump around for a couple of days, so we just kept him in his cage the evening he came home and all of the next day so he could rest and not do any damage.

How is he today?

Also, if your bunny had glue and/or internal stitches which dissolved then he shouldn't really be able to pull the stitches out

oh and we were advised not to let our bunny jump around for a couple of days, so we just kept him in his cage the evening he came home and all of the next day so he could rest and not do any damage.

How is he today?

when Maisie was spayed she had internal stitches and glue but still managed to open her wound. I was present during surgery and know it was all done properly,some animals just do the unexpected:lol:

I managed to get the collar back on with help from my boyfriend. I'd rather be safe than sorry, dont want him having to get stitches re-done.

We have only been putting the collar on him when we're not around, he's getting used to it not that he loves it.
He has been paying attention to his wound but I think just licking it as it seems ok and very clean.
He has went two night with his collar on so today we are going to trust him and leave it off.

He's still isn't eating normally yet. He's not interested in his carrot or SS pellets but is eating hay and greens

Last edited:
Back