• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what to do????

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
I have humed and hard about whether to post this but i am going to anyway.

My friend took one of Jellys babies she had in april last year. All the babies went to forever loving homes and now i feel quite upset. My friend is a caring person which is why im confused about whats happened.

She borrowed a hutch off me, which wouldnt be big enough for her once fully grown, but she was getting paid 2 weeks later and we looked online at the
hutch she was going to buy.

This was in June.... its now March.

The bunny hasnt had her vaccinations and every month she says 'im going to do that next month.' she is still in this hutch... and she hasnt been spayed which i know it isnt the be all and end all of rabbit care, however she makes a nest every 2 days and is very very hormonal and bites, and i explained to her about spaying etc and she wants to do it but she always says, 'i cant afford it right now'

she isnt in full time work shes at college like me. but she gets £300 a month, and she has 2 buy food etc cus she lives at her boyfriends house with him and his dad, and buy a train pass every month for £50. But the rest is hers. and i send her a email with a link to that site, but she said that shes not going to have the money this month.

i feel so awful and i feel like ive failed the rabbit. me and this girl are best friends and have been for years now and she is such a nice person but i jus dnt understand.

i feel like :censored: now. :cry:

does the rabbit get out the hutch every day for exercise? vaccinations and speying is obviously a personal choice why dont you talk to your friend about maybe putting say £5-£10 a week into a saving account to help save up for a new hutch, speying and vaccinations. im sure you havent failed the babies hun as i know you would take them back if ever they need rehomed for any reason.

well no, you see its a house with a small garden thats very plain just grass, and a fence round it which is like 10ft high. so she lets her run around it and i know people say about foxes but its so high n she watches her all the time. problem is....she can rarley do this as she has college 3 days a week and works 3 days, so its only sunday, and the other day she said she hadnt been out for 3 weeks and she felt bad.

n i explained how much she needed to etc and i said about runs and stuff off the net which are cheaper and bigger than pet shop ones n all she says is

'yeh il have to get one of them'
'yeh she needs a bigger hutch cus that ones tiny'
and she knows it is, it isnt about her being informed or not caring, she just keeps putting it off

I would try and make up an excuse to take her back! Or else do you have an old run or anything you can give her, this poor bun hasn't been out of it's tiny hutch in 3 weeks.....she may be a caring person but it sounds very beglectful to me :(

no because she loves her and adores her, i think its more a case of my friend having money problems. she spends as soon as she gets paid, etc. she dusnt budget properly.

i dont really, i mean i do have an extra run but i wont give it 2 her because its mine and i apid 4 it, and that may sound horrible but my point is, i budget and stuff so i can care 4 my pets i dont want to bail her out, i need to buy one herself. :cry:

Could you not suggest that, while she saves for a new hutch, she may like to consider extending the one she has now to make it bigger? Could she not build a run too if she's strapped for cash? ORRRR could she not consider making bun a house rabbit - out of the hutch once a week isn't on, however much she loves that bun she's not being fair.:(

TP

you could point her in the direction of a happy hucth, hutch run combo if she saves £10 a week she'll have enough for the hutch run combo in 12 weeks. having pets is all about sacrifices i learnt that over time :)

well she wants her to be a house rabbit but her O/Hs dad wont allow it.

Her boyfriend keeps saying 'Dont spend loads on a ne whutch and run i can make one' but he doesnt. i told her where 2 get some mesh and wood fromw here we got ours n worked out to cost £25 for the bits and the run can be MASSIVE n i said if she wanted 2 go half on the mesh etc i would.

its just making me so angry. she sbuying V tickets in a few weeks, n she asked me if i could go, n i said 'i dont know cus the vaccinations are due this month so ill probably have to wait and get one closer 2 the time'

n she said 'but it will cost more' i then said 'yeh but imn ot letting ym pets suffer cus i want to go to V' n she got annnoyed at me

I used to earn about £65 more than that a month when I first started full time at 16 - I had the opposite problem - spent all the money on them and forgot about me! I was slimmer back then :lol:

Seriously though, if you are really concerned, take the bun back!

no because she loves her and adores her, i think its more a case of my friend having money problems. she spends as soon as she gets paid, etc. she dusnt budget properly.

i dont really, i mean i do have an extra run but i wont give it 2 her because its mine and i apid 4 it, and that may sound horrible but my point is, i budget and stuff so i can care 4 my pets i dont want to bail her out, i need to buy one herself. :cry:

hmmm.....I do see your point, but if you know the rabbit is suffering, and it is to have been locked in a hutch for three weeks, i would lend her the run. Thing is there is a big difference between loving an animal and loving it enough to care for it properly. Don't see it as bailing her out, see it as helping the rabbit have a happier life. I don't think being stuck in a little hutch on her own as being a happy life for her.

I looked after my cousins rabbits while she went on holiday at xmas, was told she had been keeping them seperate but I still took the male in to be neutered because I knew they wouldn't and low and behold the doe had babies two weeks later. I've had them here at my house, paid a fortune to keep them here and tried to find homes for them. My sister is having two but couldn't afford to buy another hutch so me and my brother have built her a huge 6f by 3ft double hutch. I want her to have them because I know they will be well looked after so I didn't mind paying out even though it's stretched my budget. Her friend also wanted two but couldn't afford a big hutch so I've donated one of mine that I don't use that is a triple storey hutch. I have also given her a run that I don't use so she can let them out while they are small then they will have the garden once they are big enough. I don't mind being out of pocket because I know the rabbits will be better off for it and to me that's more important. Obviously you are not in a position to lose your run for good because you paid your own money for it, but why not explain to your friend that it is just temporary and she really must buy her own or you should have the rabbit back?

x

Sorry but I would take her back, I did it with some boarders I had after speaking to the owner when she dropped the rabbits off and certain things were said to me so when she came back I told her that the rabbits would be better of staying with me so got her to sign them over

You can do 2 things - 1 is tell her that you need the hutch back because your taking in some rescue guinne pigs for a couple of months - then she will have to buy her a new one and when she has done you can tell her that the pigs never came in to the rescue and they are going to contact you when they next need some help

As for the vaccinations - scare her! --- tell her that you were contacted by the vets as there has been a dramatic increase in the number of rabbits in your area that have been bought in with myxi and that they are making sure everyones vaccinations are up to date as it is vaccination month and they really need protecting at the moment -- point out to her that a course of the VHD and myxi jabs will be cheeper than having them done seperatly

As for neutering -- tell her a story about a bunny dying from cancer as it wasnt neutered and how much the owner spent trying to treat her when neutering would have been a lot cheeper.

Obviously dont do it all in one go or she will get suspitious

she wouldnt let me have her back. i know she wouldnt, and it would be so awkward 4 me 2 ask:?

i did offer 2 lend her a run ages ago event hough i didnt want to, now that i think about it. but she never came to get it. i dont have it nymore cus i gave 2 my sister 4 her rabbit.

You can do 2 things - 1 is tell her that you need the hutch back because your taking in some rescue guinne pigs for a couple of months - then she will have to buy her a new one and when she has done you can tell her that the pigs never came in to the rescue and they are going to contact you when they next need some help

As for the vaccinations - scare her! --- tell her that you were contacted by the vets as there has been a dramatic increase in the number of rabbits in your area that have been bought in with myxi and that they are making sure everyones vaccinations are up to date as it is vaccination month and they really need protecting at the moment -- point out to her that a course of the VHD and myxi jabs will be cheeper than having them done seperatly

As for neutering -- tell her a story about a bunny dying from cancer as it wasnt neutered and how much the owner spent trying to treat her when neutering would have been a lot cheeper.

Obviously dont do it all in one go or she will get suspitious

well....One of jellys babies got myxi. it was an accidental litter after the the first litter she had, and she has one of the first litter. long sory but luckily only one baby out of 5 got it and jelly survived. i told her it was bad and she had to get her done n she said 'yeh i will do'

If she gets £300 a month, she can definitely afford neutering, vaccs, etc. I earn £80 a month and can still afford everything for them, so if I can, she can. It's about self control and thinking about the bunnies before yourself. Yeah, I don't have any money left over at the end of the month for myself, but I don't care, as long as the bunnies are well cared for.

i know full well she can afford it, its just she makes out shes so skint all the tme but its because they always get takeaways and she goes shopping alot.

she always says she spends alot on her, its because she buys little bags of mix, bags of straw etc from the local shop which does ammount to about a £10 every week, but ive told her she can give me a couple of pounds n share our bale, or give me a £5 n split a 20kg sack of food. but she just never gets round to it

well she wants her to be a house rabbit but her O/Hs dad wont allow it.

Her boyfriend keeps saying 'Dont spend loads on a ne whutch and run i can make one' but he doesnt. i told her where 2 get some mesh and wood fromw here we got ours n worked out to cost £25 for the bits and the run can be MASSIVE n i said if she wanted 2 go half on the mesh etc i would.

its just making me so angry. she sbuying V tickets in a few weeks, n she asked me if i could go, n i said 'i dont know cus the vaccinations are due this month so ill probably have to wait and get one closer 2 the time'

n she said 'but it will cost more' i then said 'yeh but imn ot letting ym pets suffer cus i want to go to V' n she got annnoyed at me

My first thought was that maybe her bf was pressuring her not to 'waste' money on her rabbit....
I personally would tell her if she doesn't sort out proper accomodation with a run and get her vaccinated at the very least you are taking her back.
When it comes to animals I have no qualms about telling my mates what for :oops::lol:

My first thought was that maybe her bf was pressuring her not to 'waste' money on her rabbit....
I personally would tell her if she doesn't sort out proper accomodation with a run and get her vaccinated at the very least you are taking her back.
When it comes to animals I have no qualms about telling my mates what for :oops::lol:

me too normally. i know its not the issue here but basically i fell out with nearly all of my class because one girl said i bullied her because i didnt let her steal my work. they all make my life hell, and always make remarks and stuff. she is the only friend i have in that class.

i dont know why i posted really cus i dont know what to do. now im worried ur all gunna think im awful:cry::cry: she knows i would take ANY rabbit back. but she wouldnt give her up so i cnt do that:cry:

I think all this "oh but she adores her" stuff is rubbish, rabbits don't need human love and attention most, they need space, good accommodation, food water, and prefrably bunny company!

You weren't to know so don't feel too bad, but I would do something about it, even if you have to give her your run for a while, I feel the space is the most important isssue at the moment...

I know its probably going to be really awkward but I would ask for the bunny back :( She said she was going to get a new hutch and neuter/vaccinate ages ago now but still hasnt, if she has put it off this long she will probably just keep saying I will do it next month for another 6 months :(

Also I would be very concerned about the bunny only coming out of the hutch on a Sunday and would say something about that. Work and college isnt really an excuse not to let the bun out for exercise. I work full time and all four of mine get about 5 hours out each day, even if it means me working late and not getting home til 7 but sitting in the garden until midnight.

I dont think your awful, she made out like she was going to care for the bunny properly and you trusted her so its not your fault. Good luck x

Back