• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My geriatric bunnies

MarilynM

New Kit
Hello - I'm new here :wave:

I have two bunnies, both around 14 years old now and they have been doing OK, apart from the odd problem with their teeth over the last couple of years.

One of them has lost a lot of his coat recently, it has very thin patches on it (they both have a lovely thick coat normally) and it is not improving. I can't see any mites or any movement in the coat and he doesn't seem to be itchy or uncomfortable.

Is this just a bit of a severe moult? How long should I leave it (if at all) before I take him to the vet?

:wave: sorry I have no advice but wow - 14yrs old! :p I would imagine they get a bit threadbare naturally by that age anyway?

In rats at least hair loss is a sign of thyroid problems if it's not a parasite of some sort - I'm not sure if it's the same for bunnies but I suppose it's a possibility?

ETA: If it's something like mange you wouldn't be able to see anything - but bunny would be rather itchy so I think investigating might be an idea!

wow i thought our 10 year old was doing well! congrats on having old healthy buns. i think it could either be mites(but you wont ness c them just the bald patches) but more likely a severe moult or a fight they have had maybe? not a proper one but a scuffle again it could just be old age i wouldnt bother with vet unless it gets worse you think bun is cold or you think not wel you obv know your buns well so im sure u will be able to tell...good luck xx

Just wanted to say hi :wave:

You just caught my attention as you have the same name and initial as my Mum :shock::lol:

Not sure about the patches I'm afraid. Mo has started losing some but it is flaky too so I'm quite sure its mites...has you bunny got any flaking?

Last edited:
hello and welcome

My Rabbit Rosie i have had for 9 years and she was returned to the breeder by her previous owner as she couldnt have babies and so they didnt want her and that was 9 years ago,so she is roughly 10 and a half.

I would love to see pictures of your bunnies,what a great age!

I think I've finally worked out how to post a picture. We took them to the vet yesterday for their myxi jabs and becasue Bertie has a large lump on the side of him. The vet couldn't get any fluid out so thinks it is a tumor rather than an abcess.

The only way they can find out for sure it to operate and remove the lump. However,last time Bertie was aneasthetised it took him about 3-4 days to recover fully - so we have decided to leave it for now to see if it gets any bigger. I'm not sure if that's the right decision but it doesn't seem to be bothering him at the moment.

Anyway, let's see if this picture works.

P5110003.jpg

What handsome old boys they are!

Have you tried giving them supplements for their coats? Maybe a good probiotic like Avipro Plus might help.

Back