• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

friends?? always trouble?

Gingypig

Alpha Buck
Hi

Now i know you will just say tell her she can't have one...

My friend has a rabbit (un-neutered male) and when Boo had her babies she said she would like 1/2. I thought that's great, cause i'd still be able to see them etc.

Well one of my other firends heard her saying something along the lines of breeding the rabbits to make money :shock:

She has asked if she can have 1 girl!!! now i'm worried she is planning to breed even after i have expressed my feelings and that I know i had babies, but no more and i am not selling ANY!

I don't want to fall out with her as she is a very good friend we just don't have the same 'ethics' when it come to animals, i'm quite sure she loves her pets (she has 2 pigs and 2 horses too) .

I have just text her to tell her she should wait to have the rabbit neutered til lshe has moved into her new house as he will need to come in for a few days after the aestectic. (she is stopping with her folks while house buying is going on, they won't let pets in the house!! :shock:)

she has replied that she will wait for the summer to let the rabbit settle in!! and my baby she wants can live on the top tier of the guinea pigs hutch!!! On her own!! I don't think so!!!!!!

What to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry::cry::cry:

why dont you tell your friend that you have decided that you would like to keep all the girl babies :) she cant argue with you wanting to keep them yourself. just a thought :oops: also mention to her that its not good to breed from 2 rabbit without knowing their history... before breeding you need to know grandparents and great grandparents as the babies can develop traits from them i.e health problems if they had any. ask her questions like what would she do if one of teh babies got ill? needed vet treatment etc.

but you said you enjoy breeding your own animals on another thread - it seems a bit unfair to criticise her for wanting to enjoy something that's given you so much pleasure :shock:

but you said you enjoy breeding your own animals on another thread - it seems a bit unfair to criticise her for wanting to enjoy something that's given you so much pleasure :shock:

Oh yes that's just the point I can't be a hypacrit(sp?), my arguement against her breeding is she wouldn't really care where the babies ended up, she asked me if i wanted her to put a sign up at her work to sell them, i said no thanks. Also she thinks she can make money... I have never bred for money!!! and I am now not breeding anymore as I am coming to the end of good people i know that want them. Plus i only had 1 litter of bunnies and i am keeping them.

You could tell her that you have two boys that you have put to one side for her as you have already found homes for the girls via the forum -- either that or you want to keep the girls for yourself as you have become to attached to them to let them go. Then you could throw in a few breeding horror stories and how aggressive none neutered females can be etc and see if you can put her off that way.

The other thing you could do is say that you are willing to rehome them to her BUT you wont let them go until they are old enough to be neutered and they must be neutered the day they go to their new home. Tell her this is advice you have been given by some animal welfare people due to the over population of rabbits when there are lots in rescues needing homes. If she thinks you have a moral issue about it then she wont think that its about her.

why dont you tell your friend that you have decided that you would like to keep all the girl babies :) she cant argue with you wanting to keep them yourself. just a thought :oops: also mention to her that its not good to breed from 2 rabbit without knowing their history... before breeding you need to know grandparents and great grandparents as the babies can develop traits from them i.e health problems if they had any. ask her questions like what would she do if one of teh babies got ill? needed vet treatment etc.

Yes she does want a ginger one so could say they are all boys... I think i will just ask her and say i don't think it is a good idea to breed from her rabbit (he came from a rescue) as she doesn't know his history.

Also she thinks she can make money... I have never bred for money!!!
well you can tell her it's extremely unlikely that she would make money off it! what with vets bills and upkeep etc.

GraceandLouis said:
The other thing you could do is say that you are willing to rehome them to her BUT you wont let them go until they are old enough to be neutered and they must be neutered the day they go to their new home. Tell her this is advice you have been given by some animal welfare people due to the over population of rabbits when there are lots in rescues needing homes. If she thinks you have a moral issue about it then she wont think that its about her.
That's a really good idea!

yes that is the best thing i think. i will tell her i do not want my bunnies living alone as they are used to being the 7 of them (plus even when boys and girls are separated they will always have company) and that I have decided to keep them till they can be neutered. :D

I would just tell her straight that you are looking for a certain type of home for them, where they will not be bred and if she wants to adopt one she'll have to have it neutered first. I know she is your friend, but it's best to try and seperate the friendship in things like this. :)

Back