• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housebuns and Selling your house

MilliesMam

Warren Scout
Hi :wave:

I'm newish to the forum
I've had Millie, my 2nd housebun, since Jan and will be getting Cracker her new husbun today:D

My house is going up for sale again next week (had 2 very stressful 11th hour failures last year)

I wondered if you had any hints tips or advice on selling/moving with housebuns and also generally

Thanks

I sold my house, despite having a free-range house rabbit at the time. Before every viewing I used to completely clean away any evidence of her existance and put her in the car...I did once leave a stray poop and had to kick it under the bed :oops:

When I was selling my ex house and had my house rabbit I would put her outside in the run, and did what Amy said- hid her cage and thoroughly cleaned up so they wouldn't know she lived indoors...my theory was it may put people off as most people find the idea of house rabbits odd.

Before every viewing I used to completely clean away any evidence of her existance

Although it seems really, really stupid, I would do exactly the same thing. You and I might know that house bunnies are brilliant pets to have around, but some people...well, lots of people...think that your house must constantly stink and be full of rabbit poo!! Other people have allergies to animals or hay/straw.

So if you're going to sell your house, you do probably need to clear away all evidence. Just the way it is. :roll:

As for moving them, how far are you going? Obviously cars aren't the best environment, but they should be OK. We took Harry & Winston from a rescue centre 90 mins away from us, and they were fine on the way home..as long as you don't drive like Jenson Button...:)

I'm sure they'll be fine at the other end too. Bunnies LOVE exploring new environments, so unless anyone knows different, i'd have thought you just set up their little home in the place they're going to live so that they have some security, and just go about your business as normal...

I guess we were lucky when we sold our last house. Red's original hutch use to fit under our glass and metal coffee table (so she was slid underneath) and the rest of her toys cleared away and hidden.

Mind you we did not have a problem with selling our house as we did sell our house to a family who had 4 rabbits (including 2 that were house rabbits!)

When I sold my house, I tried to limit viewings to 2 days a week and then I put the bunnies out in a run when I knew people were coming.

I have the same problem. My boys are in a hutch in the conservatory, which they play in during the day (it has special glass and blinds and all the windows open, in case anyone has concerns!) and they are due to go outside soon, but I am reluctant to do this yet as they are not bonded and are 6 months old. Plus we have foxes around at the moment :?

Talking to the estate agent he has advised we leave them where they are and he will talk them round the reason for them being in there, in case there is any negativity........

Back