• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi Care update - Jet has passed away :-(

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum but am really in need of some advice. After a trip to the vets today, Jet my old man bunny has been diagnosed with the nodular myxi. He has lots of little lumps under the skin with one particularly large weepy one on the top just next to one of his shoulder blades. I am now injecting Baytril once a day on the Vets advice - can anyone give any advice on how else to help him out? He has stopped eating slightly although still happily munches on his hay and leafy greens. Any advice at all, no matter how small, would be really appreciated as I feel quite helpless in how else to help him.

Thanks so much in advance

VB x

P.s - He was vaccinated every year without fail - I can't imagine how much worse he would have been if he hadn't been :(

Last edited:
I believe that some members on here have coped with this and their rabbit made a full recovery - in that thinking I KNOW somebody will come post something helpful for you soon.

All I can do is wish you the very best!!!

TP

Hi and thanks for your kind words, the website is really good - thanks loads for that. I think it looks like I have a rough ride ahead if some of the stories are to go by. The lumps have just developed in the day (that I know of) and some seem to have got bigger over 24 hours. He has eaten his cabbage but won't touch his pellets at all. He has even refused his favourite berry yoggies :( One thing is for sure though - we will be fighting it from all sides if it gets worse - there is no way I giving up without a fight!:cry:

catswhiskas bunny had it last year, im sure shell be happy to offer you advice if you pm'd her :) there was others too so plenty of experience with the nasty evil disease... good luck with your fight xxxxx

I'm so sorry to hear that Jet has nodular myxi - but you have a better chance nowadays of helping him get better:D

That link for the site is great and you can follow all of that advice. He may be a wee bit sore by his mouth and that's why he's not eating his pellets, you could try soaking them in some warm water, then draining off the excess fluid and letting him have a go on them:) He may find these a bit more palatable:D

You will know to keep him warm, and to let him eat whatever he wants so that he doesn't lose weight also making sure he gets plenty of fluids inside him.

The baytril will help him but if the lumps get sore he may need metacam to help any soreness as well as any inflammation. Using cool boiled water gently clean the lumps and then apply vaseline to protect them. This will also help them to scab over:D

You could also give him probiotics in his water to help his tummy:D I know there are some herbal things you can give him as well to boost his immune system but someone will come along with some information on that soon.

Please keep us updated on Jet and sending out loads of positive vibes to him :D

Floss has had nodular myxi 2 years running despite being vaccinated . My vet immediately started her on 2 anti biotics daily and fortunately she didn't develop any further symptoms apart from the lesions. She did have ulceration on one of her eyes each time but that cleared up as well.It is important that he is kept warm.

:)Hi and thanks again for all your advice and words of support - it really is appreciated. It makes me feel better to have somewhere reliable to go for advice as it is quite easy to feel unsure about what to do for the best with serious animal illnesses.

I have given him some Dr Squiggles Daily Essentials and pro-biotic powder in his water bottle, I am allowing him to what he feels like - usually toast. He currently lives in an extension on our house which has no radiator in. Albeit not too cold really I have moved him into the main part of the house near a radiator just to be on the safe side. I will also get him a blanket to snuggle into asap.

With regard to 'giving him anything he feels like' - can anyone suggest any foods for sickly rabbits like Jet - as I said he loves toasted bread but cant live on this forever!

Also are vitamin supplements such as Nutrical or Nourishum suitable for rabbits? I have avoided these as they say for cats and dogs and with rabbits being herbivores I thought they were possibly unsuitable. If they are, does anyone know of something similar that can be used tempt him? I also have five beautiful ratlets and find it much easier to feed them when they are ill due to them being omnivores!

Thanks again to everyone - it really is appreciated by me and especially Jet :)

VB xxx

hi chelsea has recovered from this and sadly it is a horrid disease but the outlook is good unfortunately they seem to have good and bad days and to tept use spring greens, carrot apple carrot apple juice in water(just a tiny bit) warm mashed pellets... um anything really baby food is ok if it is veg or friut and not milk based.too. if you need any advice please feel free to pm me at any time and get well soon to your bun. xx ps metacam is good to help with the pain and uncomfortableness too, if he gets breathing probs albus oil will be good to have in stock. chelsea ended up with 31 lumps and some were larger than 50p too they will eventually scab over also make sure you wipe the eyes daily if they are weepy and administer drops as required.

Hi

My Damson also survived myxi (which in retrospect was probably nodular - though at the time it was just 'myxi').

He only lost his appetite slightly (at the start) and we kept him eating with coriander and herbs as well as his normal stuff - but he also did not want his pellets.

Apparently its really important to keep the room temperature quite warm (warmer than you normally would for a bunny indoors).

We also kept him with his sister (he did not go on to get it) and she groomed him and kept him happy.

We also had antibiotics, and also eye drops to keep his eyes happier (he actually had the red lumpy eyes, as well as lumps on nose and ears)..

After 2 weeks he started to get bored and restless and we actually let him have short times in a small outdoor run to keep his spirits up - for some buns this is really important. Some just HATE bed rest. But don't do it for a while as he must be kept warm.

Good Luck!

Hi. My previous reply on this thread was a bit rushed so here's how Floss was treated. She started with a sore eye and her upper eye lid looked a bit swollen and becasue this was exactly how she's started with Nodular myxi in '06 I took her straight to the vet who put her on the same regime as the previous time( Oddly enough her symptoms started almost a year to the day from the last time!!). This was :
Tiacil eyedrops
Flagyl
Baytril
Her lumps/leisions weren't quite as widespread as the previous attack, but they were bigger. She developed a large one on the side of her head which left quite a large hole when the scab fell off. In o6 her right eye was badly affected and she had marked ulceration. Her pupil went opaque, but it cleared u, although she has been left with some damage to her sight. This year it was the left eye..followed the same pattern...so now she's got a matching pair! It was a good 6 weeks before she was fully recovered but during that time she never lost her appetite although she did seem a bit quiet for a day or two. Catswhiskers bunny was more badly affected than Floss and I've a feeling she was only on the one antibiotic at first but then she talked to her vet about trying flagyl as well. Heck,,I hope that's not a false memory!!!! Because the weather was very mild, and Floss has Bournville to keep her company and give her some warmth I didn't bring her indoors, but if yours is an outdoor sole bunny I'd bring him in as it's vital that they are kept warmer than usual to help kill off the virus. Keep us posted, and vibes to you and your bunster.

Ps - forgot to ask, when they get better to the nodules disappear completely?

unfortunatly it varies rabbit to rabbit in time they take to go chelsea took 5 months to completly recover.(which is a looonnnng time) also the nodules will fall off sometimes leaving a scar or small dip/crateer where they have been dont pick them off though as they will bleed you have to wait for them to fall off on thier own. give it time and patience. the nodules will slowly shrink then scab over and drop off. chelsea only has one visible scar on her nose left tho and has one weepy eye which needs bathing for rest of life but not treatment.

Hi everyone - I am reading all of your advice with much appreciation and have put most of it in place.

I have made another appointment at the vets for Monday for more Baytril - can anyone advise me on whether I should be asking for Jet to be put on a second antibiotic as well? I have experienced with my rats that Bayril is rarely enough on its own to hit hard cases so any suggestions would be greatly received.

hi, we had a rabbit that got persistent sbscesses in her mouth and she was crazy for bananas! she eventually had 95% of her teeth taken out but could still eat well if you chopped food up for her!
i hope your bun gets well soon

Septrin is a good all round antibio as well as Flagyl - but I'm not sure if they are used for Nodular myxi:? I can't see why not though - and Tiacil for the eyes is always a good thing to have for myxi.

How is Jet now?

Floss had both Baytril and Flagyl as well as Tiacil. It may be coincidence, but she seemed to shake the virus off more quickly than the other buns on here. Of course it may be just coincidence,or perhaps she had a bit of extra immunity because of her previous attack, but it's worth discussing with your vet.

Floss had both Baytril and Flagyl as well as Tiacil.

I have just had a chat with the vet who has agreed to start Jet on some Flagyl as well as the 0.5ml Baytril twice a day. Jet has so far only developed 2 largish lumps and the rest are tiny and under the skin. Let's hope it stays that way!

Thanks again for all the brill advice, really is much appreciated xx

Back