• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Nightmare =[

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Hollie and Kitt, no matter how hard we try, just will not bond :(, it's getting to the stage now where Hawys and I are too scared to put them together because of the damage she could cause, and it's really upsetting seeing Kitt so frightened.

We've tried them EVERYWHERE in the house and the same thing happens - she spies him, and goes for him.. she doesn't try to hump but she grunts at him and then lunges - thankfully my boy is very fluffy so she doesn't take more than a mouthful of fur from him, but this really scares him and he ends up hiding behind Hawys or myself to get away from her. We've tried putting them in the carrier together but she goes for him.

Lately we've tried it so that she is still in her dog crate and he has free roam - he seems to be more intrigued when she's behind the bars and goes over - only for her to thump at him and reach through the bars to try and get to him :(.

Jamie seems a little interested in her - always ensuring that when we've got the back door open he runs in through to the room to see her - where he is greeted by the same treatment Kitt receives - a nip through the bars.

What can I do? I don't want to have 2 single rabbits and Hawys really isn't keen on getting another rabbit, we can afford it but at the moment it's comfortable having 4 rabbits and I know one extra wouldn't make much difference but I'm just not sure what to do. Hawys is definately wanting Hollie to move outdoors agreeing that seeing as Kitt is a great house bun if they don't bond he'll have the whole house to himself, but I don't believe in having single buns outside.

Oh, I have tried Hollie with Jamie and Sapphire and Sapphire hated her.

Is there someone near you who can take them away for a few days to bond them for you.

Donna and I used to move rabbits if they had been somewhere for too long just before we bonded them so that they were being bonded on more neutral territory. I have only a handful of rabbits as fosters but do most of the bondings, I think it really makes a difference when they are bonded.

When I went to get Hollie from Bunnyhop (when I was also picking up Saffy and Jamie who were boarding there) Kay put Kitt in with Hollie and they seemed to bond there and then.... then when they got home Hollie got all territorial and a bit rough with him and Kitt didn't like it. We kept them together and they seemed to be ok - then Kitt got poorly and had a have another operation, which resulted in another neck collar which resulted in them having to be split up as we were worried she'd steal through the stitches with her gnashers.

I take my buns to Bolton but I know Kay is dead busy with rescues all the time and I'd be worried that it'd be the same when they got home :(

Back