• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Old English Rabbit

BunnieLuv

Young Bun
Hi all, just a quick question, i have been to look at a old english baby bun today and how cute they was, the lady told me that its mum is a old english and the dad is a dutch but its still classed as an old english because they have to be x bred to keep there markings and colours.... what i am wanting to know, is this true? This is just out of interest for me really as i wasn't aware this had to happen having never kept them before.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replys.

I am by no means an expert in rabbit breeds, but I have never heard of an "Old English" before :? I know of the English breed, which looks like this :

rabbit_english.jpg

I've never heard of an 'old' Englsih rabbit?

Theres an English 'spot' or an English Lop though.

Oooops i missed the spot off it... Yes thats what she said it was.........lol. But i dont know if x breeding is true to keep the colours and markings.

I know to get perfectly marked English spots you can't breed two enlglish spots, usually a charlie and a self get the best results as if you breed two englishes you usually end up with charlies and selfs, not more english spots. Bit complicated, I know.

However I don't think crossing an english with a dutch is a known way of getting english spots.:?

Do you want the rabbit for showing or breeding, or just as a pet?

I know to get perfectly marked English spots you can't breed two enlglish spots, usually a charlie and a self get the best results as if you breed two englishes you usually end up with charlies and selfs, not more english spots. Bit complicated, I know.

However I don't think crossing an english with a dutch is a known way of getting english spots.:?

Do you want the rabbit for showing or breeding, or just as a pet?

Yes, I think you are right. WalnutEarth would be the best person to ask as she posted some stuff in this tread about breeding and colouring
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=117960&page=6

You posted this diagram which explains on the left about breeding selfs, no mention of dutches.

geneticsoc6.jpg

I haven't kept either breed before but they are different builds/sizes so I can't see it being true :shock: Was this person a competent breeder of English or someone having a play?

WalnutEarth would be an assett here :lol:

xx

I dunno about that... But when I've been in P@H The rabbits for sale have been listed as English/dutch. :?

I have heard people referring to the english as an old english. As for crossing with a Dutch... I doubt it's a genuine quality breeder. I wouldn't give her any business by buying a crossbreed when you can get one from a rescue.

I want the bunny for a pet so it didn't matter to me, it was just out of interest to see what i was being told was true.

As for giving a rescue rabbit an home, if there was one suitable for myself and little boy then i would do that, what i dont want to do with taking on a rescue is bring some unknown illness to the bunny that i already have, okay that may sound selfish but my little boy isn't old enough to understand these things and losing a dog is enough for him to cope with in my eyes, all i can ask is that i am not judged for that and hope you understand my reasons.

I will add tho', if there are any rescues out there that have a Old English Spot, or papillon they need rehoming please contact me.

Last edited:
Nobody will judge you as it is your decision at theend of the day. As regards illness, you are more likely to find that a rescue bun is always vet checked and therefore if their is any illness then a rescue would tell you where as going to a pet shop they don't tend to know who or what condition the buns are being bred in and the parents have.
Good luck for when you get your bun and hope your new rabbit gives you as much joyas we all get out of ours on here:D.

She was older than me so thats where she got old english from then, it wasn't a breed i was looking for if im honest, but then i didn't have a breed in mind as such, she is a breeder from what i can gather, but i dont think she does it for money.

I want the bunny for a pet so it didn't matter to me, it was just out of interest to see what i was being told was true.

As for giving a rescue rabbit an home, if there was one suitable for myself and little boy then i would do that, what i dont want to do with taking on a rescue is bring some unknown illness to the bunny that i already have, okay that may sound selfish but my little boy isn't old enough to understand these things and losing a dog is enough for him to cope with in my eyes, all i can ask is that i am not judged for that and hope you understand my reasons.

I will add tho', if there are any rescues out there that have a Old English Spot, or papillon they need rehoming please contact me.

I agree with Kayj, you are more likely to get a sick or unhealthy rabbit from a private sale than from a reputable rescue.

It makes me so sad that people think of rescue rabbits as being 'rejects' that are sickly, bad tempered or 'damaged'. Many rescue rabbits are given up for genuine reasons by owners that are truly gutted to see them go (shock horror) and make excellent, well adapted pets.

They are also vet checked, neutered, wormed and vaccinated so you know exactly what you are getting. A rescue will help with bonding (pairing up) as some rabbits just dont get along and introductions must be carefully made, and will take back a rabbit at any stage of its life should you no longer be able to keep it.

Its rare to get that level of care from a BRC breeder let alone one producing crosses for the pet trade :(

yeah I'd go to a REPUTABLE rescue any day (there are some shockers out there so I've heard, same with breeders)

the rescues that post regularly on this forum all vet check, vaccinate and neuter their rabbits - and a look on the Rabbits in Need threads will show you how many lovely rescued bunnies are looking for homes :) Most rescues upload their bunnies to the RR pages too http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search_form.asp

Had two English myself, the fabulous Flint a black English, who was a rescue and Chester the chocolate
flint-housebunny2.jpg

21107014.jpg

Both were fabulous to own, Flint was free range, had the run of the house and garden:D But as much as I would dearly love to have another, I would only get one from a very reputable breeder (not very likely tbh) or a rescue... I have to agree that you are as likely to pick up a sick bunny from a breeder as a good rescue, that vaccinate and neuter. But that is up to you, good luck with your search hun, they brilliant buns:D

Let me just stop you there!I DO NOT think that rescue animals are all sick, i said if you look back, i dont want to risk getting a sick one due to losing my dog, my little boy just wouldn't cope losing the bunny we have already. Just so you all know , i am looking into every area not just a breeder, i have contacted a rescue to see what shes got. This is what i meant by judging.

Can i just say and i will take a rescue if i want to take a rescue, if i want a breeders rabbit then i will take a breeders rabbit... i was on another forum with a different breed of animal and i left because they bully people into having a recue animal, each to there own, have your opinions but dont force them on others.

It makes me so sad that people think of rescue rabbits as being 'rejects' that are sickly, bad tempered or 'damaged'. Many rescue rabbits are given up for genuine reasons by owners that are truly gutted to see them go (shock horror) and make excellent, well adapted pets.

They are also vet checked, neutered, wormed and vaccinated so you know exactly what you are getting. A rescue will help with bonding (pairing up) as some rabbits just dont get along and introductions must be carefully made, and will take back a rabbit at any stage of its life should you no longer be able to keep it.

Its rare to get that level of care from a BRC breeder let alone one producing crosses for the pet trade :(

Last edited:
Your bunnies are gorgeous! :D

Had two English myself, the fabulous Flint a black English, who was a rescue and Chester the chocolate
flint-housebunny2.jpg

21107014.jpg

Both were fabulous to own, Flint was free range, had the run of the house and garden:D But as much as I would dearly love to have another, I would only get one from a very reputable breeder (not very likely tbh) or a rescue... I have to agree that you are as likely to pick up a sick bunny from a breeder as a good rescue, that vaccinate and neuter. But that is up to you, good luck with your search hun, they brilliant buns:D

Last edited:
Back