• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can you help me please

misty moo

Warren Scout
my rabbit has stoped eating and wont go out, when i put her out she just sat ther and would not move she has been siting in her hutch since this morring. She didnt eat non of her food last night and non this morrning
i have looked on the net but cant find nothing it could be shes going to the vets tomorrow if no better.
can anyone help me am worrid:cry:

She really needs to go to the vets now.

Its very bad if they stop eating. Can't you go as an emergency?

Phew, when is your Dad getting home?

Sorry to be dramatic but when a bun doesn't eat they can die very quickly.

Fingers crossed and sending lots of get well vibes to her.

x

my rabbit has stoped eating and wont go out, when i put her out she just sat ther and would not move she has been siting in her hutch since this morring. She didnt eat non of her food last night and non this morrning
i have looked on the net but cant find nothing it could be shes going to the vets tomorrow if no better.
can anyone help me am worrid:cry:

Hiya Kirsty,

When a rabbit doesn't eat for a length of time they go in to stasis - when they reach this stage it's very difficult to say whether the rabbit will be able to eat again, and this can, obviously, become fatal. I'd definately recommend getting your rabbit to see a vet ASAP, in the meantime try massaging your rabbits stomach slowly and gently - does it feel hard? It may be that your rabbit is bloated and needs a little help?

xx

lol she had gas :lol::lol::lol: she seems fine now shes running around again
thanks all:wave:

Last edited:
Has your rabbit eaten anything at all today.

Has she pood at all today. If she is not eating or pooing and hasn't done so since last night then she is very poorly and I would urge you to get an emergency appointment at the vets. Rabbits tummies need to be continuously on the move, if the movement slows down or stops then this can be fatal.

If it is gas she needs to be made to move around and given gentle tummy rubs to help relieve the gas. It is also possible to give her infacol (which is used for babies with wind.) She may also need syringe feeding with cooled boiled water.

I hope your bunny now improving.

Vanessa xx

Last edited:
no he gave het tummy a feel and sed it was gas and to keep a eye on her and if she was not eating tomorrow to go to the pdsa. is this not rite am worrid now.

Gas often occurs prior to developing a full ileus. Particuarly as you have said that she was not eating, alarm bells are ringing in my mind.

If you rabbit has gas in the gut he may be in pain, if your Bun is in pain he will need additional help to keep warm. A Bun who is in pain cannot maintain their body temperature and can go into shock. So you would need to provide him with some form of heatpad like a snugglesafe or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel.

Infacol (Simethicone) can be given orally. This is a liquid given to human babies that get colic and it breaks up the gas in the stomach. Infacol can be obtained from the Babycare Section of most Supermarkets.

This is worth a read http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=72986&highlight=stasis

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Gas is often a sign of other problems including teeth problems, lack of fibre in the diet, recently changed diet ........... I m not sure whether your rabbit is a good hay eater or what dried food he normally eats ... this may all need reviewing.

Getting your rabbit eating is the highest priority at the moment/

Back