• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've got a dilemma Update good News

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday I took two very neglected buns in there was but one was found dead in the hutch due to starvation. The two that I have got are 7mths old and are brother and sister. The male is really quite week and you can literally count his bones through is fur, he takes shelter under his sister and her herself his very thin but as a bit more energy than him. Niether are up to being neutered at the moment as they wouldn't stand the GA.
My Dilemma is: I kept them together last night as I feel I would do more harm than good seperating them (they sit huddled up together at all times) as I really feel the male would end up dying, They have both been checked by a vet (hasten not my vet) who says the female doesn't appear to be pregnant (the male just wouldn't have the energy) do I keep them together till both are a little stronger and then get them in for neutering or do I deperate them straight away.
I am pleased to say though that the owner is being proecuted on 3 counts of animal cruelty.

Last edited:
I've no idea Kay, it's a hard one isn't it? Just wanted to say though that I hope they get stronger for you and the owner gets everything that they deserve.

Cant you keep them together till they are at least used to you and not cowering? Poor little things.

Can they have a bunny subsitute? Like a teddy?

Oh dear, poor babies. Difficult one. Any chance of accommodation next to each other but separated by mesh or something so that they can still sit next to each other and have company?

What a grim story.

You know I am a softie so I would be tempted to keep them together until he starts to show more interest in life. It sounds like the best thing for him right now is to be with his sister.

Hoping he soon starts to recover,
Give them some love from Louise and me.
Vanessa xx

Poor bunnies :( I have two buns in that were starved nearly to death (Nicolas and Maggie) they're proper little chunks now :lol:. Sending vibes or their speedy recovery, maybe seperate them with mess as Lian said :D

How hard to see that Kay good luck with nursing them, if you split them maybe put cuddly blankets and teddies with the little lad?

Poor bunnies :( I have two buns in that were starved nearly to death (Nicolas and Maggie) they're proper little chunks now :lol:. Sending vibes or their speedy recovery, maybe seperate them with mess as Lian said :D

What kind of mess mate? A few poops perhaps? :lol:

I would think keeping them together is their best chance at this stage - sounds like they really need the emotional support, poor bunnies :(

Separate them when they are stronger and are not so frightened/can be put with other rabbits of their own sex. (And if it comes to it, consider an emergency spay if the girl should get pregnant?)

I would think keeping them together is their best chance at this stage - sounds like they really need the emotional support, poor bunnies :(

Separate them when they are stronger and are not so frightened/can be put with other rabbits of their own sex. (And if it comes to it, consider an emergency spay if the girl should get pregnant?)

I agree with all of that.

Oh dear! It would appear that since joining this forum I have read about case after case of animal cruelty - people can be so very, very horrible!:(

I would think that you know better than me Kay regarding best course of action - but wishing you the best in your decision!

TP

I agree, think the poor littles things need each other for support.

crikey ....what a decision ....:(

i think if it was me id risk leavuing them at least a couple of days while they settle in then perhaps have a rethink :?

I think whatever you decide to do Kay will be for the best :). I think if it were me I'd keep them together until he starts to show signs of improving physically and mentally, and then maybe seperate them but have them still next to each other but divided by a partision.

The poor souls, some people are so :censored: evil!!!

xx

poor mites. I would have thought keep them together for a week or so and then consider putting them next to each other in separate accomodation.

I would leave them together, by the sounds of it she is in no fit state to get preganant, if you seperate them you could lose both as it would be so traumatic after everything they have been through

Back