• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

tearing my hair out!! am i missing something?? U/D i had a revelation!

Wispa & Zola

Mama Doe
my buns wont wee in just their trays!!!! they just wee and poo all over the vet bed, it seeps in but the buns are now walking around with wet hocks and im worried about urine scold and sore hocks :(

i changed their litter tray to make it bigger because they got too big for their old tray and they wee in the new one but also all over the cage. its like they see their whole cage as a litter tray and its doing my head in, ive tried so many differnet things :(

any ideas

Last edited:
how about taking the vet bed out until they get used to going in the tray?

are you making sure you wash the vet bed in biological washing powder to remove any trace of smell? it's the only thing that will break down the enzymes and get it out properly.

if they can still smell their wee, they'll keep going on it.

hope that helps x

give them less space till they are trained hun..

have they never been trained? vet bed will probably have to go and hay only in the litter trays helps too...

Alvin litter trained in a cage but as soon as i made his house bigger he picked a diffo wee spot so i put a tray in that spot...poops go everywhere cus hes a fluffy little bugga and they come out as he jumps out

Poppy did that too so I took it out until she got used to the trays now its in permanently and wee free :lol:

the vet bed has only just gone in, i needed it because everything else slipped when zola jumped in.

i washed the vet bed with powder and put the machine on extra stains and extra rinse so im doubting there is any smell!!!

they have megazorb and hay in there tray

if you put newpaper in the crate and wait till they pee you can then put that in the litter tray, thats what i did with pearl and she got it straight away... no more accidents :)

if you put newpaper in the crate and wait till they pee you can then put that in the litter tray, thats what i did with pearl and she got it straight away... no more accidents :)

well i thats what i did when i got wispa. there is normally newspaper in the bottom of the tray but recently they have dug to get to it, shredded it and then thrown it out the crate!

omg little demons..... id really lock em up in a smaller area hun, i read they dont like mess in the areas they have to live in so the bigger the space the more mess allowed.... with buns as big as yours tho id be stumped on what to use as a litter tray :?

well they get locked in their crate at night and i *think* there is just as much poo and wee on the floor as there is during the day when they have a big pen. so cutting down their space doesnt seem to make a difference!!!!

do you think they need to stay locked in their crate until they learn to use the tray??

at the moment they have a big plastic dog bed as a litter tray

maybe not as small as the crate but a lot less room space they have at the mo... maybe half what they get hun and see if that helps...my god they are stubborn!!

i need to get it sorted because its really bugging me, i constantly feel like im picking up poo and washing my hands because i touched wee!

im missing out on the fun stuff of keeping rabbits because its all about poo at the moment!

i need to get it sorted because its really bugging me, i constantly feel like im picking up poo and washing my hands because i touched wee!

im missing out on the fun stuff of keeping rabbits because its all about poo at the moment!

ah you wont lose the poo hun, every morning theres a new scattering about the cage and under the sofa too and accross the floor in the middle room where the litter tray is, its deffo a territory thing but when the weeing is sorted poo is a happy sight cus it means they aint poorly... i have a handheld vac to take away the pain of poo picking :D

how big are their trays? they will want at least 2 as well - mine all like to have one clean for hay eating and one for a toilet. My 4 average sized bunnies have 2 guineapig cage bases together as a litter tray - they will want to sit together so with yours being so big I'm thinking they'll need the large, 3' (90cm) underbed boxes from wilkos - at least 2 of (and when I started with my girls they had 4 of these big trays - one in each corner of their shed)

P1010332.jpg

Have you tried taking the hay out of the litter tray. I know everyone recommends putting it in there. But I know Molly wont use the litter tray if there is hay in it and wee's by the side instead. But this is probably because he's always had his hay in racks.

My buns live in a hay scattered room, but only wee in their trays. We put newspaper in the bottom - a whole tabloid sized one, with hay at one end. Sometimes they take the paper out for eating, but they still wee in their trays. They do like one each though - but saying that they only use one at a time.

i went and got two litter trays today, and put hay racks above both of them. the only thing they will be doing with out their bums in their trays is drinking and sleeping on their shelf. they also only have newspaper and not vet bed

watch this space!!!

i had moved all their hay so that they had to be in a tray to eat it but they were weeing on the paper. i dreamt about it last night and i had an epihphany!!

they are weeing where their bums would be when they are drinking! so i moved their water bottles to above a litter tray and so far so good!!!

fingers crossed guys!

Back