• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbits giving birth

bessie

New Kit
Hi,
i am new to all this, i dont know if anyone can give me some advice my female dutch rabbit gave birth last night but i only found one dead baby in her hutch is it normal for them just to have one baby.

Thankyou

I dont think she will be having any more if this was last night, it is unusual to just have one baby unless she ate the others.

How is the mother?

I dont think she will be having any more if this was last night, it is unusual to just have one baby unless she ate the others.

How is the mother?

She seems fine just very grumpy which she normally is anyway she isnt a very happy bunny, i thought having a litter of babies might calm her down a bit, i cant see no evidence of any half eaten ones.

i very doubt she will have any more a first litter will often die due to the doe being unexperienced probably more common in young does 6months and under.

i have however read a true story on another forum of a doe giving birth 3 days apart as in gave birth to a few kits one day then having more 3 days later :shock: but i think the chances of this happening is 0.00000000000001%

xx

She seems fine just very grumpy which she normally is anyway she isnt a very happy bunny, i thought having a litter of babies might calm her down a bit, i cant see no evidence of any half eaten ones.

the only way to calm doe down is to have her speyed this will take all her homones away :)

I just wanted to add that female rabbits are quite often 'grumpy' as they are driven by hormones, and that is often solved by having them neutered... I had a female who was a grumpy feisty girl and after spaying she calmed down loads... just something to perhaps think about once she's recovered from this :)

I just wanted to add that female rabbits are quite often 'grumpy' as they are driven by hormones, and that is often solved by having them neutered... I had a female who was a grumpy feisty girl and after spaying she calmed down loads... just something to perhaps think about once she's recovered from this :)

ok thanks for all the advice, she is about 3 now so do you think having her spayed will still do the trick of calming her down cos she can be really vicious as soon as you put your hand in her hutch she grunts at you and attacks you, it can be very scary at times, cos she hurts.

Hi there.

I agree with the posters before. Having a litter of babies isn't a way to calm a bunny down (bit like saying having a baby will fix my marriage). The only way to calm a bunny down is to have her/him neutered.

I hope she does okay.

ok thanks for all the advice, she is about 3 now so do you think having her spayed will still do the trick of calming her down cos she can be really vicious as soon as you put your hand in her hutch she grunts at you and attacks you, it can be very scary at times, cos she hurts.

Yes, it should really help her to be much more settled. Currently she will really be driven by her hormones.

If she doesn't already live with a bunny friend permanently, then that would also help her to be a much happier bunny.

Bunnies will often calm down once neutered/spayed. Getting her a neutered male friend might be a good idea too. I think my rabbit used to be grumpy because he was lonely, he now a soft lump with his also neutered girlfriend.

Yes, it should really help her to be much more settled. Currently she will really be driven by her hormones.

If she doesn't already live with a bunny friend permanently, then that would also help her to be a much happier bunny.

ok thanks i have also got a male rabbit who is now about 16 weeks old which we do house in a seperate hutch cos i didnt want to risk puttin him in with her cos she is a stropy madam and i know does can be very terriritorial, do you think it would work if i had him done when he is old enough and then try puttin them together do you think that might cheer her up a bit.

Great minds and all that :lol:

ok thanks i have also got a male rabbit who is now about 16 weeks old which we do house in a seperate hutch cos i didnt want to risk puttin him in with her cos she is a stropy madam and i know does can be very terriritorial, do you think it would work if i had him done when he is old enough and then try puttin them together do you think that might cheer her up a bit.

Once they are both neutered, they should be much better to bond and it's better to have one pair bonded than two single.

Yes, get them both neutered first, it will increase the chance of them bonding. When they have both been neutered (and the boy has been done at least 6 weeks) then you can introduce them on NEUTRAL territory, somewhere where both rabbits have never been.

Was this her first litter? If so its no wonder the baby died. Rabbits should have their first litter before they are 1.5 at least, preferably before one year, many breeding does are even retired at 3 years. (Zakura's mother had her last litter at 3, her owner was unable to even get her pregnant afterwards. She just decided that was enough:lol:)
Breeding aggressive does is not the answer, even if she improved, she might pass her temper on to the kits, which would have left you with 5 aggressive rabbits instead of one:shock: I had a doe like that, her two brothers were the same, so I am 100% sure her temper was genetic. I had her spayed at 2 years old and she really improved after that:D She's still not the cuddliest bun ever:lol: Far from...but she's stopped attacking me for no reason at least:D

Was this her first litter? If so its no wonder the baby died. Rabbits should have their first litter before they are 1.5 at least, preferably before one year, many breeding does are even retired at 3 years. (Zakura's mother had her last litter at 3, her owner was unable to even get her pregnant afterwards. She just decided that was enough:lol:)
Breeding aggressive does is not the answer, even if she improved, she might pass her temper on to the kits, which would have left you with 5 aggressive rabbits instead of one:shock: I had a doe like that, her two brothers were the same, so I am 100% sure her temper was genetic. I had her spayed at 2 years old and she really improved after that:D She's still not the cuddliest bun ever:lol: Far from...but she's stopped attacking me for no reason at least:D
yes it wa her 1st litter.
ok thanks sorry my mistake she is nearly 2.she has always been stroppy from the day we got her, although she has got much worse, we cant handle her really at all which is a shame.i think i might go down the route of getting her spayed.

I would, it's not a 100% guarantee that she'll be lovely afterwards, but there is usually a really good improvement in mood and territorial behaviour. And also it prevents uterine cancer which is very common in unspayed does.

Back