• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where can I buy large sacks of hay & straw online?

That looks great thanks. I would not like to pay by Paypal and it says you can pay by cheque. Is this recommended? How much does one bale last (roughly), like filling up a litter tray twice a day and used for bedding? I think I prefer stalky hay from what it says, but what do you think?

That looks great thanks. I would not like to pay by Paypal and it says you can pay by cheque. Is this recommended? How much does one bale last (roughly), like filling up a litter tray twice a day and used for bedding? I think I prefer stalky hay from what it says, but what do you think?

My buns prefer the stalkier, as the soft is really really soft!!

I always do paypal, but you can just email the guy and tell him you send a cheque. He is happy to do that.

I buy the 10 x bales and one of those bags lasts me about a week with two bunnies in a 8ft hutch and two litter trays x twice day top up and one major clean a week.

thehayexperts.com!

I'm already with them but the packs aren't big enough and I spend too much on packaging. The Dust Free Hay sounds super. It sounds huge. Is it easy to store? How many do you think will last roughly a month? Should I get a five pack or just two?

I've just realised on the site that they have small bales and large bales. Which size are the ones that are in packs of ten?

Last edited:
The ones in packs of 10 are the small bags. One of those is equivalent to an 80 litre dustbin in volume when uncompressed. The large bales weigh 17kg and are equivalent to 7-8 of the smaller bags

I've just got two of the smaller bales of stalky hay and I'm guessing one box/bale will last a couple of weeks between 2 buns (possibly longer since there is barely a hole in the box and they've had it since sunday), I'm using it solely as food though and topping it up daily, Charlie adores it and eats it out of the box whilst I put fresh stuff in the hutch. I only ordered 2 boxes to see if they liked it but my Nan was keen on ordering some for her rabbit too and said she'd share a pack of 10 with me, it works out a lot cheaper when buying that many.

Sarah, it works out even cheaper if you are able to pick it up yourself;) We're going down tommorow to stock up for here

Hmm, I might just have to do the same, I'm only half way down the first box at the moment though and they've been getting a big fresh pile everyday since it arrived.

I always buy the giant bales from dustfreehay.co.uk, they 'seem' to last longer than 10 bags of hay. But that might be just me. I agree the stalkier hay is wonderful and the buns love it, but last time i ordered they only had the stalky in the small bags, hence why i got them.

Bigger bags are great if you can store them.

Back