• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home: Giving rabbits GP pellets!!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
A close (rabbity) friend of mine has just e-mailed me to say that she went into out Cambridge PAH today and saw this:

'A little grey lop bun was 'barbering' another poor bun, they looked in a poor state bodily and are being fed on GUINEA PIG PELLETS!!! I found this out when I complained very politely to a nice member of staff. She said head office instruct that all rabbits be fed on guinea pig food now because in the other stores guinea -pigs and rabbits are still kept together!! .

My friend is writing to complain - but we hold out little hope of changing things as we have tried on various issues in the past to little avail.

For the sake of the rabbits in PAH Cambridge right now, is there anyone on the forum that can possibly try and give the Cambridge PAH some 'insider' advice??

PLEASE????

That is awful!!! They shouldn't even be kept together let alone fed pellets for guinea-pigs. Sorry, I can't help but I hope you can get it sorted.

pets at home are meant to be having a rabbit workshop for easter on 8th march try and take them loads of info around

lisa

Hi Minilop -

I am afraid that I am more or less 'banned' from the local PAH after I made it clear what I thought of their 'adoption methods and 'facilities' (tiny cage with petrified rabbit in middle of floor in store with children and dogs poking it).

Can anyone else on here try and approach PAH Cambridge or nationally to try and do anything about this store feeding its rabbits GP food??

:roll:

So when they buy rabbit food and change them straight over they would be surpised at them having bad stomachs?

Can anyone else on here try and approach PAH Cambridge or nationally to try and do anything about this store feeding its rabbits GP food??

Why don't you send an email to head office?

Customer services addy is on the main site page.

The store are talking out of their behinds - let head office know and hopefully they'll give em a swift kick.

Edit: That's assuming that the rabbits and guinea pigs are accommodated separately in the Cambridge store?

I'm afraid that if you buy from Pets at Home you are, in a sense, endorsing this. Each of their stores has a 'bunny village' which, to the outsider looks all cute and cuddly. Half a dozen rabbits and a dozen guinea pigs living together "just like in the wild". But it's really not on. Pet shops, garden centres etc should NOT be selling animals. Stop and ask yourself where they get their animals from? How do you think they're treated, really?

Pets at Home may be great for picking up regular 'value' stuff, but it's a massive profit-led company. If you think you'll change them by protesting to a member of staff or dropping in leaflets, I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken and naive. The only way to stop that sort of mistreatment is to vote with your wallet...

Half a dozen rabbits and a dozen guinea pigs living together "just like in the wild".

May someone please explain to me how that works? As as far as I know the domestic rabbit comes from Spain and the guinea pigs from South America:lol:
Its an ocean between. Seriously:roll: ARE there even wild bunnies in South America?

I've never even tried telling a pet store of from keeping GPs and rabbits together...I know many people have tried, but almost every store in my area does it:cry: Any animal fed on pellets should consider itself lucky, since they're usually given mixed-food. Sometimes its a brand made for that particular species, other times its one brand made for all "rodents" which sadly most still consider rabbits a part of:censored: Now why do people think vegetarian rabbits and guinea pigs can be fed happily on the same food as rats and mice who eat seeds and occasionally even meat? :evil:

:shock: THIS is what I don't "get" with stories like this:

P@H and indeed other pet stores are trying to make money from selling animals...now say I was selling something - a car for argument's sake, the VERY last thing I would do is to fill it's tank full of cola and locate it somewhere where it was likely to come to harm! I wonder at their logic as they aren't likely to sell a badly nourished or hurt animal and this is likely to hamper their "profit making" surely?...The mind boggles!

TP

Hi Tpepaul

I think you may not quite have read my original e-mail,

Personally I never buy at PAH (and only saw the adoption rabbit I mentioned in the subsequent post as I was in there on behalf of RWA doing a 'rabbit day' trying to give out information).

My friend goes in to try and monitor what is happenning there and has already written to head office on numerous occasions - but as our experience is that change via this method can be very slow, I hoped that someone reading the forum might be able to do something 'from the inside' about this particular problem rather more rapidly.

As someone who works within the rescue arena I am afraid I found your comments about my being 'sadly mistaken and naive' both incorrect and offensive. My friend spent several years working in the small animals section of Wood Green Rescue and could certainly not be accused of being either.

What I am trying to do here is utilise the strengths of the forum which I know includes people who do have contacts in PAH to try and address a specific problem which is occurring at present and affecting some specific animal. I was a little apprehensive about posting this thread as I didn't want it hijacked to become a general 'anti PAH rant' but felt that the possibility of someone actually helping these rabbits was worth it. Perhaps I was wrong.

Hi Tpepaul

As someone who works within the rescue arena I am afraid I found your comments about my being 'sadly mistaken and naive' both incorrect and offensive. My friend spent several years working in the small animals section of Wood Green Rescue and could certainly not be accused of being either.

Hey, there. Sorry - didn't mean it personally. In fact, wasn't a comment "at you" at all. It was meant in a generalistic way an I apologise if it didn't come across like that.

And I'm also not anti-pets at home. They serve a purpose for some people...
I'm anti-selling animals in pet shops, so we're very probably on the same wavelength. Like I say, didn't meant to offend whatsoever, and I apologise.

Paul

when i got peanut, i got him from pets at home as at the time i didnt know about rescues.

my boy was being bitten and chased by his 2 siblings, and he was on guinea pig food too. :(:(:(

Back