• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Muliple rabbits bonding: update advice needed

touie

Wise Old Thumper
Right I'm feeling brave, I am going to give it one more go sometime soon getting all my rabbits together! :shock: If I can get them together I won't need to rehome any!

I have Sugarplum (f) feisty, big, but luckily toothless bonded with Splodge (m) who's silly and soppy. And I want to add Twinkle (f) who's very placid, and Caramel (f) who's a total monster to other rabbits :shock:

I think I will probably leave Fudge out as he's quite poorly.

Any tips? :? :shock:

Last edited:
Somewhere neutral definately as you seem to have right little characters :lol:

You could try feeding them, a litter tray with pellets in is usually a good idea or a big pile of veg.

What about having a group and then a pair?

Depends whats wrong with Fudge :love: but you could try him with Twinkle :love:?

Last edited:
Oh no you may have to rehome some of your bunnies?

I hope all works out with bonding :)

I have had 2 on rabbits in need for a while :(

How much space do you think I should give them, I'm wondering about the bathroom but there's prob onl;y about 6' x 4' of floor space, do you think that will be enough? :?

Sooz or Chloaster (sorry, can't remember which) suggested not putting litter trays down because that will increase territorial behaviour. Good luck Touie :).

Neil

OK well they've all been in the kitchen since I first posted this thread.

Splodge is having a great time going between all the girls and grooming them, if only all rabbits were like him!!!

The girls have all scuffled with each other but are now in seperate corners staring at each other! I feel if I removed Splodge there's be a huge fight though :shock: so I've left the kitchen and am listening instead!!!

I've filled a tray with pellets but there's no hidey places and no litter trays!!!

Last edited:
This is pretty much where I am with them at the moment. There are still scuffles with the girls :( Sugarplum seems to be the biggest problem, she's growling, stamping, boxing and sitting on the other two girls, in between eating, sleeping and washing. Not sure what to do with her :? Just separatd them and found Caramel with a big mouthfull of white fur, although I think Sugarplum was the instigator :roll:
P3040011.jpg

Somewhere neutral definately as you seem to have right little characters :lol:

You could try feeding them, a litter tray with pellets in is usually a good idea or a big pile of veg.

What about having a group and then a pair?

Depends whats wrong with Fudge :love: but you could try him with Twinkle :love:?

Fudge has got an infection in his jaw bone, not a good prognosis :(

Help I don't know what to do!!! I don't want to separate them but... I am still having to break up fights about every 30 mins. No one has been hurt but the girls all seem to fly at each other and quite a bit of fur has been flying.

Do I leave them overnight? and I'm out of the house from 7.15am- 8pm tomorrow apart from an hour for lunch and tea, so I won't be able to watch them then too.

What should I do?

My opinion. Separate back into their original groups but only because you're going to need to set aside 2 or 3 days to do this properly. It may have worked in the space of this afternoon/evening (our last 4-bond did) but it doesn't sound like it is happening tonight. Obviously this also means you're going to have to start from scratch.

Neil

I think you're right but its such a shame as they're fine at the moment. Sugarplums eating out of the bowl that twinkles decided to use as a litter tray and no fighting is going on :shock:

I think you're right but its such a shame as they're fine at the moment. Sugarplums eating out of the bowl that twinkles decided to use as a litter tray and no fighting is going on :shock:

I wish someone else with bonding experience would reply. It's the whole leaving them for 13 hours tomorrow that concerns me.

Neil

I wouldn't risk leaving them alone... they might be getting on ok now, but it doesn't take much for a serious fight to break out, which could be fatal if you're not there to intervene...
As Neil said, you need a good few days to do this, and to be able to sleep in the same room with them...

yes it's Sugarplum thats the problem. I think I could leave the other 3 together but she was already bonded with Splodge. She doesn't have any teeth bit bite luckily but shes huge and she keeps boxing :(

Maybe i could try putting Sugarplum and Splodge back in the shed but leaving the other 2 together a bit longer?

ok, I have one (failed experience) of bonding but as you are short of opinions tonight I will wade in :lol: My gut instinct is to agree with Neil and separate them if you can't be with them tomorrow. Especially as there has already been fighting you have had to break up. My 3 needed 8 days together of fairly close observation before they decided things weren't to be. It's just not worth the risk of injuries IMO. You can always re-start when you have a clear few days. Much better to go back to scratch than end up with traumatised injured buns and a massive vet bill.

yes it's Sugarplum thats the problem. I think I could leave the other 3 together but she was already bonded with Splodge. She doesn't have any teeth bit bite luckily but shes huge and she keeps boxing :(

Is Caramel behaving herself enough to be left in? I'm just thinking of her track record! :lol:
Is there any way you could stay at home tomorrow, or get someone to watch them for you?
Are the others backing off when Sugarplum boxes etc.? or are they retaliating?

Is Caramel behaving herself enough to be left in? I'm just thinking of her track record! :lol:
Is there any way you could stay at home tomorrow, or get someone to watch them for you?
Are the others backing off when Sugarplum boxes etc.? or are they retaliating?

No the others (women) are retaliating when Sugarplum starts, Splodge just dives for cover somewhere! Caramel was being ok suprisingly! :shock:

I have left her and Twinkle in the kitchen for a bit to see what happens, but I have tried the pair of them before with no luck! :?

Back