• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bonjela?

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Can Bonjela or anything similar be used on buns? Evo needs another dental, which he's having tomorrow, but I was just wondering if there was anything he could have apart from an injectable pain killer to help his mouth be less sore until then? The vet doesn't like to give metacam too often for buns (would rather he had it after the dental tomorrow) :? and Evo reacts badly to vetergesic.

I am doing the usual syringe feeding (luckily I am off work today) but I'd like to make him more comfortable.

Hi Laura :wave:

Sorry to hear Evos not right again. Poor babe. Do his molars need burring again? I've never used bonjela or anything like that. I'm not sure whether you can give it to buns or not.

I remember a while back I was looking on the galens garden website and they had some kind of gel for sore mouths. Will try and find it for you..............

It's called oral gel. It says it can be used on gums. Don't know if it's any good.
http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/shop/products.php?cat=11

I think the only thing that will really control dental pain though is painkillers. We all know how painful it is when we have toothache etc. My vet uses metacam injections and makes them up for me so I can administer at home. The injections irritate the tummy less and act faster.

Lots of positive vibes for Evo.

Big hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Sorry to hear Evos not right again. Poor babe. Do his molars need burring again?

Yeah, it's only a month since his last one. :( The vet had a good look today, and said that his problems come more from the angle that his teeth grow at, rather than spikes growing. I will order some of that gel for future use. :) He will be having metacam tomorrow, but I can't risk him having vetergesic today as it just makes him too sleepy.

Lots of vibes for Evo.

Not sure if the gel is any good and not sure how it would help with molar probs as they're right at the back. I wonder why he's needing his dental so soon. He usually goes quite a while between dentals doesn't he. I ended up changing vets for my mans dentals as he was needing monthly dentals. I found a different vet who burred the teeth differently which made a huge difference. Different vets have different methods of burring. Some vets only burr the spurs off which mean they grow back quickly and don't help with tooth root elongation probs. The vet I go to burrs the spurs and some of the molar, reshaping the crown so that the upper and lower molars meet.

It may be worth phoning around and seeing if you can find a vet that is particularly good with bunny dentals and then when you find one stick with the same vet for every dental. They then get used to your bun, how they deal with ga etc and the best method of burring to suit your bunny.

Lots of vibes for Evo. Give him a big cuddle from me.

Did Evo ever try any of the herbal garden product from Rosewood? Sometimes that is the only thing that my man will eat when he has a sore mouth....smells yummy too :D

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Back