• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help & Advice needed please....

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
Following on from this thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=118046

Stripes went downhill over night 9 days ago to the point her pelvis had twisted and pushed her legs sideways to the right side which resulted in an emergency vet trip a week ago yesterday :rolleyes:

We were back at the vets on the Tuesday evening, she'd lost 70g since Sunday lunchtime :(

Overnight Wednesday/Thursday her pelvis righted itself and she was sat back up on her legs, still unable to use them properly but she was managing to get around her cage.

All this time she's still been eating, slightly less than usual but it was all moving through and coming out the other end :rolleyes: Because she couldn't turn to reach I was having to wipe her bottom every couple of hours and feed her her ceacals :mrgreen:

By Thursday night she had improved so much and was much more active, she was moving around more and was even beginning to turn enough to clean one of her back legs.

Friday/Saturday, she went downhill again not with her legs but with her digestion, her ceacals have been really sticky, stringy and stinky. They're so soft they are getting stuck to her fur and really ground in, its becoming a nightmare to get her clean.

Any one got any ideas please?:cry:

Hey Gem :wave:

Has she had any xrays done yet?!
I would be pushing for them. Is she still unable to control her bladder?

Still no xrays, vets are reluctant to do them as she's still got feeling and voluntary (Or is it involuntary?) movement in both feet.

She's controlling her bladder fine now, not quite sure what was happening there.

Is it obvious I'm getting desperate now :oops: She's so bright and perky within herself I don't want to go down the pts route yet :(

I wouldn't consider pts unless xrays and an ultrasound have ruled everything out if it were me so maybe push for that, if she is very immobile they could possibly xray her without sedation?
Is it possible that she has a trapped nerve/slipping disc if she goes from improving to back to bad again?
Thats a good sign she is controlling it, it could just be a very painful soft tissue injury that needs time hopefully!

Trimming the fur on the inside of her legs and applying a thin coat of vasiline will help with keeping her clean and stopping her getting sore :)

Stripes isn't going to get any better, an xray showed extensive nerve damage to her back and the deep pain response in her toes has almost gone :cry:

She's to have physio on both her back in the hope that she may regain a little bit more movement.

I'm so sorry Gem :cry: If there is anything I can do you know I will help in any way - big hugs to Stripes - xxxx

Thanks Hilda, Caroline and Jay :)

I don't think devastated quite sums up the way I feel tonight :cry: It's incredibly stressful trying to keep 10 healthy bunnies and a disabled one happy :rolleyes: We need a little more time to adjust but I think we'll be fine :)

I'll email you at some point Jay as I will need someone who can give me a balanced view of what I'm considering for the rest of her life ;)

if stripes is eating ok maybe cut back on the greens and mix and get her to eat plenty of hay that should help the poos

if stripes is eating ok maybe cut back on the greens and mix and get her to eat plenty of hay that should help the poos

I don't think its anything to do with her diet, she's not eating enough of anything to be causing the problems.

She's doesn't get greens as she can't have them anyway ;)

She's up and down in mood really, one minute she's bright and cheery the next she's really down :cry:

Back