• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Polo poorly possibly stasis, u/d all better :D

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
:cry:I went to do the bunny veggie rounds and noticed that Polo was not interested in her food. She was eating this morning. I fed the other bunnies and waited to see if she would eat anything, she wouldnt. I tried her with some nuggets, she refused them and then and went into her little tunnel. She wasnt very active, or moving much except when i tried to grab hold of her, and she ran away from me :cry:.

She then had her self stretched out and looked as though she couldnt get comfortable. And then she was hunched up. I ran back into the house, grabbed the phone and got her an emergancy appointment.

She looked really poorly in the car and was all hunched up with her eyes shut :cry::cry:

Vet examined her and she was hugging me (polo not the vet), which is rare for Polo, she is usually very jumpy and likes her own space. Vet said her tummy felt a bit tender, around her bladder area... and therefore could have an infection. She also said that it could be stasis, and covered all areas when giving her some drugs.

She was given Baytrill, metoclopromide and Vit B12

I was also given some science recovery formula, but i have no idea how and when and how much to feed her?!?!

Please can someone advise...

Thanks

Last edited:
Poor Polo and you.

Have you got any syringes? If not, a pippette can work. The main thing with syringe feeding is to keep their head up and put the syringe in the side of their mouth so you don't send food into their lungs. Just do it very gently and let them swallow each time.

I tend to make up the recovery formula quite watery because it makes it easier to syringe. As for how much to give, I would give at least a 5ml syringe full every 2-3 hours (and also one of water to stop dehydration)until she is eating on her own, preferably more if she will take it.

I would also bring her and her boyfriend inside, at least until the morning. She needs to be kept warm and her bunny friend will help her get better and feel safe. I know that bringing rabbits in overnight is not really the done thing but in this situation, she needs to be in the warm.

Lots of vibes

FC xx

Doesn't sound like she was given pain relief? In my view this is really important. :?

Personally I try to syringe boiled (cooled to warm temperature) water, and sometimes peppermint tea, rather than syringe feeding Critical Care or Recovery. You want to get some poo out rather than adding to any mass.

I did read that the vet was hugging you at first till I re-read it! :D

Really hope Polo perks up soon. x

2 of my rabbits have had stasis in the last week. what helped them both was to keep them moving. it seems cruel to keep forcing them to move but i always find this helps. i tend to take them to the stairs in the house and get them to run down (they always seem to run down the stairs!) also i take them to parts of the house that they are unfamiliar with and sometimes that helps as they seem interested in the different surroundings........last week it took me until 1am before Lola would eat so that was about 6 hours from when i first noticed she wasn't eating.
i also had some recovery stuff so she was syringed fed that too. yesterday i had a similar problem with the house bun and again went through the usual routine and again it worked, took about 3 hours before she started eating again.
i went to the vet today and stocked up on the recovery powder as am going to keep a supply of this in the bunny first aid kit........

hope you manage to get Polo eating again. i know it can be quite stressful but persevere and hopefully you will get good results.

i also agree with the painkiller from the vet-that always helps. i normally take the bun to the vet asap when i notice the lack of interest in food but if it is late at night and the vet's are shut i always try the other methods first before resorting to the emergency vet which is some distance away and costs an arm and a leg.......................

good luck with Polo.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, Polo is now eating and binkying and pretty much back to her normal self. :D

For future reference, you must understand that a bunny that is sick cannot fight the cold weather at night while try to fight the disease. So the bunny need to bring inside the home on day 1. Your dog can either live at the basement, or find a friend to temporary look after your dog. But I'm glad you bring Polo inside in the end.

Back