• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are your rabbits in a run or free range in the garden?

Is your rabbit always free range in the garden?

• No, always in a run.

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • Sometimes in a run, sometimes free range.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Always free range in the garden.

Votes: 16 21.6%

• Total voters

DDD

Mama Doe
As the title says really. Just interested to hear peoples views. Mine have a hutch and a run. I don't think I could trust them to be free range with supervision as they would never come back to me!!! I was thinking of maybe penning off one end of the garden so they can be with us in the summer, but they seem happy and contented in their run.

some of mine go in runs but my giants have free range in the garden during the day but locked in their sheds at night.

In their run but they have free range in the garden for an hour or so in the evenings and longer at the weekend. Always under supervision as Piper is an escape artist!

mine all have runs set up for permanent access but I let them free range in the garden as often as I can too :D

My own bunnies are free range in the garden, they come in in the evenings and will do anything for food!!:rolleyes:

I thought free range meant living in burrows in your garden? No? well mine is free range then as she is in the garden all day(I am a housewife so here all day)with constant indoor access, but is put in a run with access to hutch if I' m away for the day. She comes in at night of her own accord mostly but if she's not in by nightfall I go and get her.-Sue:wave:

Mine have the run of a penned off large patio 3 times a day - I've let them on the garden and they dug out in about an hour - I've never used the rabbit run I bought initially as it's so tiny (3x6) - they really RUN on the patio but I wouldn't feel happy leaving them out there all day :)

They are free range in their garden, within our garden.
I'm lucky, I work from home, so get to enjoy them all day long from my office (very distracting & not much work is being done) :lol: If I go out, they go in their house, just to be on the safe side.

Mine live in a permanent compound that is 20' x 12' on grass. They live in there all year round. They have a hutch, an A-frame Ark to shelter in and underneath that they have a huge burrow they have dug. They generally sit in the ark and have a snooze or go underground to sleep. Bounce around a bit in the afternoon when their Ark is blocked off to stop them going underground for the night. Then they go to bed when it gets dark.

It is great that they have loads of space to run. They tear around the compound like rockets sometimes, bouncing and binking like crazy. It is a lovely sight to see. I can see the compound from the kitchen window and hubby calls it Rabbit TV.

We also have buzzards which circle overhead, but you are quite safe as they are primarily interested in carrion and not live animals. We have never had any cause for worry in the two years they have lived like this.

I don't have a rabbit anymore, but I would never have them free range unsupervised. The risk to them is too great. A fox killed two of mine two years ago :( Many people believe they don't have foxes in the area (I did), but don't be fooled- they may visit your garden at all times of the day and night.

A free range life is a great one though, perhaps the benefit outways the risk? I guess thats something everyone has to decide for themselves.

We don't have foxes in this area otherwise, I would have them out in a covered run. A neighbour down the road has two freerange buns who have lived in a burrow in a fenced part of the garden for over five years. We are very lucky up here. Yesterday, we had a red squirrel run along our street (we have woods at the back of the street behind us)

We don't have foxes in this area otherwise, I would have them out in a covered run. A neighbour down the road has two freerange buns who have lived in a burrow in a fenced part of the garden for over five years. We are very lucky up here. Yesterday, we had a red squirrel run along our street (we have woods at the back of the street behind us)

Hi :wave:

I don't think anyone can be 100% sure that they don't have foxes in the area. I just wouldn't be prepared to take the risk.

Maybe your neightbour has just been lucky?

Lian x

Hi :wave:

I don't think anyone can be 100% sure that they don't have foxes in the area. I just wouldn't be prepared to take the risk.

Maybe your neightbour has just been lucky?

Lian x

I agree, so many people think they don't have foxes.
The fox that killed my rabbits pulled the run away from the playhouse they lived in one night...I found their headless bodies the next morning. It was devestating and I will never forgive myself for not bolting the run on.

Since then I have seen the foxes several times, at all times of the day.

Unfortunately many people will read this and think it will never happen to them, that's what I used to think too :(

I agree, so many people think they don't have foxes.
The fox that killed my rabbits pulled the run away from the playhouse they lived in one night...I found their headless bodies the next morning. It was devestating and I will never forgive myself for not bolting the run on.

Since then I have seen the foxes several times, at all times of the day.

Unfortunately many people will read this and think it will never happen to them, that's what I used to think too :(

Yes foxes are everywhere, I think ive been lucky so far because ive always had 4 cats (although only 2 now) and a dog that all hang out in the garden too and most foxes will steer clear of areas full of cats and dogs unless they are poorly, then they don't care and stumble about anywhere :(

I know the risks and like you said Mandy, weighed it up. My personal opinion is that if I were a rabbit I would rather have a short happy, free living life than a long, (still relatively happy!) confined one. So I have always kept them free range for the last 15 years (I think!).
I did have a rabbit killed by a fox as a child and it was horrific but over very quickly for the rabbit thankfully.
Each to their own though :D

Ours have an attached run and we let them out for supervised garden access when it's a nice day.

Back