• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nappy - is it a joke?

Teepee

Mama Doe
:wave:

I intend seperating my 2 rabbits at 10-12 weeks if male/female (and also if they are same sex and start fighting) and then keeping them appart until male no longer fertile...HOWEVER, while doing a bit of "online" research I read advice that stated male/famale should not be seperated all the time during this period but rather female should wear a "nappy" to prevent "accidental breeding" and to ensure the bond between them remains...:shock:

I have done a forum search on this matter but can find no thread advising of such (though sorry if I missed one!)
Is this true??? - I am more than a tad dubious about a) attempting to put a terries nappy on a rabbit and b) whether the rabbits would attempt to eat the nappy and choke on the fibres!?!:?

TP;)

That has got to be a joke. I would seperate them but put them next to each other so they can still have the company of each other even tho seperated.

Helen

I found a thread on here at last about nappies - but I have a feeling they are ones for dogs...
I wouldn't think a rabbit would stay still to have one put on, more to the point, I would imagine that they'd try and eat it!:shock:
Thinking I'll stick to my A plan there!

TP;)

It wouldn't be possible to put a nappy on as they would get terrible urine scald. Buns also poop loads so you'd constantly have to change it!

:shock::shock::shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What I did with my last litter of youngsters that came in was I kept them all together and got the girls spayed when they reached the 1kg mark. The boys I am still waiting for testicles to appear so they are not neutered yet but are still getting along just fine.

If you have one of each sex why not get your girl done before the boys bits drop, then get him done when he's mature enough, if you have two girls get them done together when they are a little bit older or when they start getting hormonal and if they're both boys annoy them by flipping them over every day and get them done as soon as bits appear. I had four brothers and got them all done together and they stayed bonded fine. :D

I don't think that would work:lol:
Not only would it be terribly unhygienic but I'm pretty sure the rabbits would be able to tear it of if they wanted to:roll:
If they need to be separated, I would rather put them in two cages right next to one another with a wire fence between so they could still see each other:D

Back