• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

After some advice

mystic.kitty

Mama Doe
We are about to get our first ever rabbits, so are novice keepers, but very keen to learn.

I have read that bucks are more docile and friendlier to keep and that does can be a little more frisky and even aggressive.

Now we want to keep two rabbits (have the huge hutch already) but have read also that you shouldn't keep two bucks together as they will fight, is this true?

Basically we would prefer to have two neutered bucks (we would have them neutered as soon as we could) but is this going to cause problems with fighting? Would we be better off with a buck and a doe then??

I would really appreciate some advice on this, I don't want to get them and make a huge mistake.

Apologies if this is a stupid question too :?

I have just rescued to un-neutered males so have been researching bonding frantically trying to learn as much as i can to ensure that once they are fit to be neutered they can live together.

From what i have read, many people say that neutered male/female works the best, but many people on here have bonded neutered males successfully - i hope to be one of them asap!!!!!

Both rabbits will need to be neutered anyway regardless of sex though.

Hello :wave: If I were you I would go to a rescue and find a pair that is alrready bonded. Neutered boy and neutered girl usually work best but it really depends on the rabbit. A rescue will be able to find you a ready bonded pair to save all the stress. Where abouts are you?

We are about to get our first ever rabbits, so are novice keepers, but very keen to learn.

I have read that bucks are more docile and friendlier to keep and that does can be a little more frisky and even aggressive.

Now we want to keep two rabbits (have the huge hutch already) but have read also that you shouldn't keep two bucks together as they will fight, is this true?

Basically we would prefer to have two neutered bucks (we would have them neutered as soon as we could) but is this going to cause problems with fighting? Would we be better off with a buck and a doe then??

I would really appreciate some advice on this, I don't want to get them and make a huge mistake.

Apologies if this is a stupid question too :?

Did you email me a few days ago? ;):wave:

Welcome!! :wave:
I have two bonded girls. I got them together from a rescue and they are sisters. I love the bond they have. They adore each other, grooming each other and caring for each other. It's beautiful to see. Female/female or male/female are great matches. If you get sisters from litters, and they are spayed, they usually get on great. But they have to be spayed to stop aggression in females as I had two female rabbits a few years back and they were very aggressive rabbits. My two girls are angels and I love them to bits, and I hope they love me back. :p As other people have said, go to a rescue and try to get a bonded pair.

Would heartily recommend Hunnybunny's rescue in Fife. Haven't visited it personally, but go on their site a lot and she cares deeply about the buns and always ensures they go to good homes. Good luck with your first pair.

ohhh i do hope you overload us with pics when youve found your perfect buns :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

btw i heard males were nicer than girls too, but my Alvin is the exception to the rule i think... pearl is much more friendly and docile :roll::roll:

I was very nervous about getting bunnies, after all I'd read - I found the perfect solution was to ask a good rescue (like the ones on this forum) if they had any pairs of rabbits that would be good for a novice owner - not aggressive, already neutered, etc. I got my 2 boys and had a nice easy start as a result - they were neutered brothers and had been overlooked in rescue for nearly a year, due to being boring brown :( Lovely bunnies although sadly Pepsi died a couple of years ago - Benny is in fact the only one of my rabbits I can actually pick up, so the rescue chose me some good bunnies :)

:wave::wave:Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your bunny search. I agree with all that's been said already. Visit the rescue and be guided partly by your heart, but also by the person who runs the rescue as she/he will be able to tell you about the personalities of the various buns in his/her care. A ready bonded, neutered pair is ideal so much less stressful than going through the bonding neutering process and all that entails. keep us updated!!!:lol:

We are about to get our first ever rabbits, so are novice keepers, but very keen to learn. I have read that bucks are more docile and friendlier to keep and that does can be a little more frisky and even aggressive. Now we want to keep two rabbits (have the huge hutch already) but have read also that you shouldn't keep two bucks together as they will fight, is this true? Basically we would prefer to have two neutered bucks (we would have them neutered as soon as we could) but is this going to cause problems with fighting? Would we be better off with a buck and a doe then?? I would really appreciate some advice on this, I don't want to get them and make a huge mistake. Apologies if this is a stupid question too :?

That is NOT a stupid question and personally I think it's fantastic that you're asking it. Too many people just "get a rabbit" without really thinking it through - we get them in the shop all the time. Drives me nuts. :evil:

Anyway, the key is to get a bonded and neutered pair, no matter what sex they are. As you'll have gathered from this thread, people have all sorts of combos, but as long as they're bonded it shouldn't matter. My two are both boys (brothers) who have always been together. Before that we had a little lady (well, not so little :oops:) who was sold to us a single rabbit (yes, mistake). The boys are definitely more chilled out, and Pumpkin was very territorial at times.

I'd go for a rescue centre every single time. Never buy a rabbit from a shop (although you can make a donation to the centre). There are lots around as you'll have gathered, and the good ones will point you toward a bonded pair - and they should already have neutered them too. Not sure where you're from, but if you're near Hertfodshire, Agatha's Annex is fantastic and where we got Winston and Harry.

Oh, and did I say bonded and neutered pair? :)

Back