• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jazz vets

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Got Jazz booked in at the vets for 5.10pm tomorrow to check out those lumps which the vet told me were lymph nodes..Might turn out to be nothing but better to be safe than sorry I guess.

Hiya :wave:

Good luck at the vets tomorrow. Where are the bumps? Let me know how you get on.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

He's got one slightly lower on the left of where the absess was and a larger one slightly higher up on the right.

I will let you know xx

Can I have some vibes for Jazzy please? xx iv been reading so many things about absesses and its making me quite upset and worried :cry:

Morning chicken,

Sending lots of positive vibes for Jazz at the vets today. Has the abscess gone down now?

Hope everything goes well today. If you're not 100% about the vets you use it may be worth trying a different practice. There's a couple of vets at woodlands who are very good and a new lady at the manadon branch who is very good too. She has several rabbits of her own and has previously had a dental bun.

Lots of positive vibes for Jazzy!!!

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Thanks, I think I still have the numbers you gave me :) Will see what happens but im willing to anything to make him better no matter what the cost I will pay because hes my special boy :( todays going to go slow, I hope he doesnt have to have G/A tomorrow as thats his 3rd birthday :(

Good luck at the vets. The lady at manadon is v good as she has rabbits herself...I think she has 6 at the moment and had her own dental bunny whom needed dentals every month or so.

I have tried many vets in Plymouth and I only feel happy taking mine to a couple of the vets at Woodlands who have rabbit experience. Many vets don't have a very sound knowledge about rabbit medicine and as buns are complex little creatures and are classed as exotics in veterinary medicine it is defo best to find a bunny savvy vet.

Let me know how you get on.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

The vet said as it appears to not be connected to his jaw bone atm, he told me to leave it an monitor it for a month and bring him back in a months time unless he goes down hill. The vet doesnt want to put him through another G/A just yet as this would be really risky aprently. so I just gotta wait for a month now. Jazzy seems fine in himself :)

Is it ok to leave absesses? hes going back in a months time anyway and the vet doesnt think its a danger to his health atm.

To be honest I wouldn't be happy with just leaving it. Does he have a good knowledge of treating rabbits? Many vets in Plymouth only know the basics and are not particulalrly clued up as far as rabbits go. I would want a more indepth diagnosis and not be palmed off with being told wait a month and see what happens. I would really want to be taking my rabbit to somebody who has a good knowledge of rabbits. I have had too many bad experiences when I first started out, taking rabbits to vets that didn't have a clue.

Also, once you have found a good vet I would recommend to book all your appointments with the same vet so that they get to know you, your rabbit and your rabbits history etc.

Maybe it would be worth getting a second opinion just to put your mind at rest. Justine is in Ivybridge today. Not sure if she's just in in the morning or all day today. Vivian is in Manadon all week except Tuesday. They are both lovely.

How big is the abscess?

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I really don't know chicken :wave:

I thought the last vet told you they were lymph nodes but is the most recent vet saying they are abscesses? I would be wanting to know why he has developed these abscesses. Is it due to tooth roots etc? If you were able to get your bunny to a more bunny savvy vet they may be able to give you a clearer picture. If they are abscesses they should be easier to treat whilst they're small but if left untreated they may get bigger. I really wouldn't like to say without having a look and I'm not an expert.

Maybe it is worth going to one of the more bunny savvy vets for your next appt. That way you may get a more indepth explanation as to what's going on. If you do manage to find a bunny savvy vet you're happy with stick to the same one so they can follow your buns history etc.

Hugs to you and Jazzy,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

when he had his last op, the vet looked at his teeth etc and said they dont look to be connected in anyway. How do you go about changing vets without being rude? The thing is the one they go to is really close and easy for me to get to.

Back