• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Confused about Vaccs

So I went to my vet and asked if Charm could have a booster as he was vaccinated against myxi 6 months ago and she said no, it's a yearly vaccination, but I was just reading on here and the advice is, as I thought, every 6 months.

Also I booked Destiny in for both her jabs. The lady said this was fine, but I just read that Myxi and VHD jabs should be given at least 2 weeks appart. So now I'm confused. My vet is saying one thing and I'm reading another. Personally I trust this forum more than my vets.

And while we're on the subject, how often is VHD required?

I know, I know, I should have booked her in sooner, but home life threw us a hurdle. I've had to cancel her last two appointments for unforeseen circumstances. *holds out her hand* Slap me if you will.

Hi,
I work in our local vets and they recommend vaccinating rabbits yearly for myxi, unless there is an outbreak in the area or your rabbits are in a high risk enviromment (rural areas), and it is them recommended 6 monthly. They always give the VHD vaccine 2 weeks after the myxi.
Reading on this forum, it seems that generally most vets are the same. VHD is only needed yearly.

rural, such a loose term in Sheffield. I'm a short walk from the city centre, yet there's more nature around me here, than when I lived out in a farming town.

Sorry, our vets cover a large town, quite a few villages and a lot of farming counrtyside. I guess I mean where you see lots of wild rabbits regularly.:wave:

If its any help most of the rabbits that come to us to board from Sheffield are vaccinated yearly for myxi and VHD unless there is an outbreak

hehe the only vets I'm actually happy with is all the way in Deepcar, which is too far to take my buns. I know a lot of people on here recomend the one I'm with at the moment, so they can't be too bad, I just don't get that same satisfaction as I did in Deepcar. When I went there I felt like....I KNEW my pets were in good hands and I knew exactly what was happening. My vet always talked me through everything so I understood it and he put me at ease. Even the receptionist explained things and knew us and could make us feel at ease. I haven't found that yet. And I've been to four different vets since July.

Thank you Holiday hutch, that does actually make me feel a lot better.

hmmmm nope, I haven't seen any wild buns around here yet. The odd fox though. So I guess that puts me in a lower risk area?

Do you go to Hallam Vets in Hillsborough? I take Frankie and Jenny there.. they now have the myxi booster twice a year and VHD yearly. Proir to the Myxi outbreak last year though they were only vaccinated annually. Actually one of the vets I spoke too did say that in his opinion it wasn't absolutely necessary for the myxi to be given every six months, but he was still happy to do it when I asked.

They always book me two appointments a fortnight apart for the boosters. Did the vet nurse / receptionist say that it was fine to adminster them together, or the vet?! :? Any idea which vet you saw? Lucy is fab although I don't see her at the Hillsborough branch very much. I really like Tim too, he's always been great with my two :D

Im a vet nurse and would def recommend vaccinating against myxi 6 monthly, especially after the huge amount of outbreaks last year, plus we are already seeing cases of myxi up north which is early :shock:
VHD is yearly :)
They MUST be done at least 2 weeks apart.
Your vet needs to look at the vaccine leaflet I think!
I would def find another vet if she doesn't even check the basics of vaccinations! :D

Last edited:
Do you go to Hallam Vets in Hillsborough? I take Frankie and Jenny there.. they now have the myxi booster twice a year and VHD yearly. Proir to the Myxi outbreak last year though they were only vaccinated annually. Actually one of the vets I spoke too did say that in his opinion it wasn't absolutely necessary for the myxi to be given every six months, but he was still happy to do it when I asked.

They always book me two appointments a fortnight apart for the boosters. Did the vet nurse / receptionist say that it was fine to adminster them together, or the vet?! :? Any idea which vet you saw? Lucy is fab although I don't see her at the Hillsborough branch very much. I really like Tim too, he's always been great with my two :D

When my two had their myxi last August and September at Hallam Vets, they recommended having them done again in March to cover them for the whole of the spring and summer. Before that they'd said the myxi wasn't really necessary as I've always had house rabbits.

I think from reading all the stories on here in the relatively short time I've been a member (August last year), I wouldn't take the chance of not having them done, and certainly for now I'll be having mine done six monthly.

I take mine in every six months for myxi, the vet himself suggested this as the effectivness tails off towards the end of the yearly. just once yearly for VHD though.

I got a reminder in the post to say Charlie's myxi was due as it had been 6 months since the last, I'd rather have it done 6 monthly to be on the safe side, I'd be so mad with myself if I had it done annually and either of them came down with it.

I guess I mean where you see lots of wild rabbits regularly.

You might not see them, but are you in mosquito-flying distance of them, since mosquitos and rabbit fleas are the carriers, I think.

I live in an urban area but with a lot of open space and a river nearby, so I'd rather play safe than sorry and have twice yearly boosters for Muppet.

I really want to get mine done six monthly. They're house buns so I guess the risk is minimal really, but I want them to be safe. I guess I'll just have to put some credit on my phone and ring them and tell them exactly what I want and tell them that if they're not prepared to accomodate that then I will take them elsewhere. Even if it means me having to poke my dad to run us all down to Deepcar vets. Thanks guys.

I've never seen a mosquito in my life. I didn't even know they existed in England. But I think that I am probably within flying distance of one.

my vet said yearly for myxi but thats cus its a very very low risk area, there was no cases at our vets last year even tho it was really bad elsewhere..

Alvin and pearl are booked in tomorrow because i promised Lou that pearl would be jabbed six monthly im sure the vets practice wont object to extra money... ste is takin them in and i told him to tell them if they query it that we go to scotland regulary and where we go is right in the countryside therefore high risk... i cant see our vet disagreeing with that once he knows the full travelling facts ;)

whats really gutting is i cant use the free voucher that has been advertised on the TV even tho my vets are participating :evil::evil::evil:

hehe I'm going to do that, tell my vets that I go to deepcar regulary and that's high risk and I'm registered there still.

Why can't you use them?

in the small print it says its not for bunnies vaccinated in the last 9 months :(
the curse of lookin after my babies right i guess :lol::lol:

Ahhhh, oh well. Yay for looking after your babies right.

Well my parents live in a high risk area and there are four pet buns there I handle regulary. I don't want to pick something up while visiting my mum and give it to my buns. Just across the road and up the hill a bit there are wild buns! It's so awesome to see them, but it does get scary if you're up walking by the fields and the farmers get their guns out! We went walking the dogs past some of the fields on the public footpath and I SWEAR a shell just missed me! We ran like crazy. But that's off subject. Are my buns in high risk because I visit a high risk area on a weekly basis?

im sure once your vet knows the full picture they wont have a problem with 6 monthly... ours didnt question our wish for the 6 monthly jabs so ste didnt have to argue and get kicked out pmsl

Back