• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Travel

Jack-Bun

Warren Veteran
Hi.
I need some help...
We have got a caravan on the coast, and it re-opens in March. I would love to take the buns down for a long weekend! My mum says its not fair on the buns. It would take about 2 and a half hours to get there? Would the buns be ok? Or not?

Culd anyone give me advice on traveing with buns to show and tell my mum?:?

IMO 2.5 hours is a long time for a bun to be travelling in one go, especially if they were being transported in a normal pet carrier. They should have some time out where they can get out and not be cooped up. JMO though

They would be in an indoor cage. Maybe they could get out when we stop at services, and have a hop about in the boot?

alvin has done 7 hours in a carrier with no problems, we stopped about 3 times to get food into him and set his house up the second we arrived he seemed happy rather than traumatised and happily munched hay as if hed never left home :shock::shock:... havent seen how well pearl travels yet, but alvin deffo isnt easily scared or upset :)

Alvin has done the journey to and from scotland twice now, so try not to worry too much buns are hardier than we are lead to believe ;)

I just keep thinking about them being too hot/cole etc or scared or bored...

I am worrying about so many things!

if you have air conditioning you should use it, if not an open window keeps air cool.... we put a wet towel over the carrier to keep him cool and when we travelled in august i was so worried we travelled at night just incase :oops:

its good to worry, it means youll do it properly with less stress to the little uns ;)

Have you got a marble slab (like you use for Chinchillas), you could pop that in the carrier to help keep them cool and attach a water bottle to the front of it too.

a bottle of frozen water wrapped in a towel can keep the area cool too...

i only have a vague memory of caravans but im sure they get pretty warm, if i was you id take a nice fan too :)

omg this brings back memories of August when wed never travelled with Alvin before i was soooooooooooooo scared itd go wrong :(

and when we got there the worry of flystrike, i didnt actually relax till we was home safe :lol::oops::oops::lol:

Can I ask what you would keep them in when you arrive at the caravan. Caravans are notorioulsy hot when the sun gets out and your rabbits are likely to overheat if kept inside on hot days. If they are outside they need a secure place away from predators including dogs ...........

I used to take my buns to the caravan site and they loved it! It was the only time they got grass :D They had their own hutches and runs up there and they were transported in a carry cage, it was only an hour journey though. I'm guessing the same applies as with horses, they need a break to stretch their legs etc :D although i'm not sure :D

Caravans can get extremly hot in the summer, and its alot to worry about because its alot of worry as to whether they would get out or not etc, even if you did have them in an indoor cage/pen, its a big risk and personally i wouldnt take it.

Plus 2.5 hours is a long time, and in the heat plus witht he added stress it could easily bring on stasis etc, why not look into boarding your boys while you are away? x

It's odd that here we have one thread saying 2.5 hours is too long a journey and another one saying how long bunny runs are absolutely fine...

Muppet comes away with me for the weekend every six weeks - the journey is at best 3.5 hours and at worst 5 hours. He actually doesnt like travelling in the car particularly but he does recover very quickly when we arrive. Because he's not happy travelling, I wouldnt keep doing it but we go to the same place so he's familiar with it, which helps him recover quickly and he loves it there and has a great time.

I dont bother with air conditioning in the car, unless it's the height of summer. I do put a rug over his cage to keep out draughts from the window and simply because he seems to prefer it being a bit darker. He wont eat or drink tho I do put some hay in, in case he fancies a nibble. I always take food and water to tempt him if we stop (or if the motorway should seize up and we're stuck for ages).

If you can keep them safe at the caravan, I dont see why not :D I would! (If they arent microchipped though, I'd make sure they are. Just in case!!)

2 and a half hours would be OK with stops but as your Mum is towing a caravan it's not so easy to find places to stop. I don't know if marble slab is good because the rabbit might slide about? When we took our rabbit on a 2and half hour journey we made 2 stops at service stations, as rabbits are reluctant to eat and drink on the move.
I put turfs of grass in her travel cage so that she had something to grip on and left wet greens and carrot pieces in there too as well as hay - though she only ate them when stopped. We made sure she was not in a draught but had fresh air, that she had a light cover over part of the cage roof ;she was out of strong sunlight, and we did not play music during the journey.We spoke to her and made sure the cage was secured in a seatbelt.
You need to discuss with your Mum where she might stop at services etc. Also she may wish/need to do the journey in one step without stops for reasons of traffic route or tiredness. Your Mum might like to have the radio on to keep her alert?
You also need to think about who will look after the rabbit when you are on holiday-your Mum knows you best-it wouldn't be fair to leave Mum to clean out/feed/play with/supervise the rabbit while you go out enjoying yourself, for example. Will you have time for the rabbit on holiday?
Perhaps your Mum has plans for things you are going to do together that would make it awkward to have a rabbit on holiday?
Maybe Mum is concerned that the rabbit might chew wires in the caravan harming the rabbit ?
Do you have room to take a hutch,run,and hay with you?
You really must ask your Mum about this-maybe she feels having a rabbit in the car would be a worry for her or distract her from driving?

When you next log into RU get your Mum to have a look at all the replies- then you can decide together what's best for your rabbit.-best wishes -Sue:wave:

We take Rubens and Dilbert to Edinburgh in the car a couple of times a year (appox 5.5hr journey) and they love it they get all jumpey and excited when they first get in the car but usually fall asleep after an hour or so. We make sure they have plenty of water, food and a couple of toys for the journey and a good stretch when they get to may mums and they seem fine.

We took Rubens to a caravan in Bridlington last year and he enjoyed it, but in March the caravan overheating wasn't a problem!

We take Rubens and Dilbert to Edinburgh in the car a couple of times a year (appox 5.5hr journey) and they love it they get all jumpey and excited when they first get in the car but usually fall asleep after an hour or so. We make sure they have plenty of water, food and a couple of toys for the journey and a good stretch when they get to may mums and they seem fine.

We took Rubens to a caravan in Bridlington last year and he enjoyed it, but in March the caravan overheating wasn't a problem!

awwwww id love it if Alvin got excited like that... he does binky when we get to the mother-inlaws but i think thats cus hes glad hes out of the carrier :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

do your buns travel in the same carrier? im a bit worried about Alvins pee habbit when we first start off, poor pearl stains easy :roll:

awwwww id love it if Alvin got excited like that... he does binky when we get to the mother-inlaws but i think thats cus hes glad hes out of the carrier :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

do your buns travel in the same carrier? im a bit worried about Alvins pee habbit when we first start off, poor pearl stains easy :roll:

Yeah they do, as you can see Dilbert is a lovely snow white and he's fine, we use vet bed in the bottom of the carrier so when rubens wees (which is usually 2 mins after we set off) it soaks in the bottom and stays dry on the top so boths buns are dry and wee stain free!

Its a caraven thats kept there. its massive! They would have free run to that all day!.

Thanks for the info x

Back