• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy Hutch Q - Has anyone got.....? U/D The right price?

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I am trying to come up with an action plan of adequate housing for my buns for when my OH comes home so I can explain how we can house them all and get another one :?

So, unfortunatley I have done away with the thoughts of getting a shed for Zi and Fia because it will just be too big in our garden with other bunny housing. So I am thinking of keeping the playhouse but building a run around the playhouse which will give them 5x5 run with some shelves for them to climb on and am ashfelt roof so I don't have to stress about rain/sunshine.

So for Winter and poss bunny friend I am thinking of getting a happy hutch which will only take up 6x4 of the garden. So my questions:

1) Has anyone got a happy hutch hutch/run combo where the run is at least 2ft high and is 6x4? Is the ramp ok i.e. is it too steep? Does it bow under the weight of the hutch seeing it is a bit higher up?

2) Has anyone got a 6x3x2 happy hutch on a 2ft high run and does it/will it work? I am happy to get a 6x2x2 but if I can get a 6x3x2 then at least I know that have a similar space to the bunnies in the playhouse. My only worries would be 1) the weight of the hutch and 2) opening/access to the run.

Any help would be most appreciated. I am going to email HH to ask them the above and for a price eeeek!

Thank you

Shiv

Last edited:
1) Has anyone got a happy hutch hutch/run combo where the run is at least 2ft high and is 6x4? Is the ramp ok i.e. is it too steep? Does it bow under the weight of the hutch seeing it is a bit higher up?

My two nethies are in the HH and run combo with the run extension (thanks to SarahP for the loan of the extension!) The ramp is quite steep but I suspect it's only the same angle as the lower one, it's probably longer to retain the same angle. It's too steep for my nethies, I have it coming down onto a log cabin which is about 6" above the ground so they jump the last little bit; they cope with this fine. It would be difficult to do that for bigger rabbits though as the hole at the top gets smaller the more gentle you make the angle. My two lops were boarded over summer in it and coped fine with the ladder at its standard angle.

No it doesn't bow, it's absolutely fine. I wouldn't have thought the height above ground would make any difference to it bowing really.

This is the HH combo with a 2ft high run:

happyhutch.jpg

In order to have the ramp less steep, I have done this:

comfybunnies.jpg

If you make it too "unsteep", then the opening will get too small. I also have a logroll tunnel at the top end of the ramp, to keep hay (and bunnies) slipping into the opening. It makes a nice entrance/exit to the hutch.

I don't think the hutch is too heavy for the run, but mine is just made with plywood. The shiplap hutches are much better, but will also be heavier.

My bunny when he was on his own had a 6x4 hutch run combo with a ramp down to the run. The ramp is solid and my bunny was fine getting up and down it. When it was on concrete though I did put abit of hay at the bottom so it was bit softer cos he did like to come bounding down the ramp but I was very impressed with the hutch, nice and cosy.

and note that hutch/run combo is now tongue and groove and is much cheaper on ebay - search for 'massive hutch' will bring it up :)

Oh great. Thanks guys.

BB is your hutch 6x2x2? If so do you find it big enough for your 2 buns? I would definately be getting it in shiplap rather than ply as I think it will probably last longer. I will ask them if this is likely to cause it to bow under the weight and whether they make the batons on the run thicker.

Thanks for your tips Alison. I know winter would be able to jump down into the run on top of something but of course I need to consider the other bunny he will have as a friend. BB's idea of the log bridge at the end is a good one and so may do something similar. The hole Winter is going through at the moment is tiny!

Anyone else? Anyone with a 6x3x2 on a run?

Cheers

and note that hutch/run combo is now tongue and groove and is much cheaper on ebay - search for 'massive hutch' will bring it up :)

But is the run 2ft high or 18inches? Ideally I want 2ft high but it doesn't say in the adverts on eBay. The 6x2x2 hutch combos on their site are only 18iinches high :?:?

:wave: I have a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft happyhutch with the run underneath :D I dont know if my run is 2ft high or not, is that something you need to ask for specially? I just ordered it without asking for specific run height :D

You can see it behind Scarlett in this photo I have two bricks at the bottom of the ramp, I didnt think it would make much difference because Scarlett wouldnt go down it at first but was fine as soon as I put the bricks there. Also you could put two layers of bricks if its still too steep :D

DSC06677.jpg

I find it big enough for my two :D

000_0885.jpg

Not sure about the weight because mine isnt the tongue and groove one, but im sure it would be ok. The happyhutch man is very helpful and nice to speak too so just ask :D x

Oh great. Thanks guys.

BB is your hutch 6x2x2? If so do you find it big enough for your 2 buns? I would definately be getting it in shiplap rather than ply as I think it will probably last longer. I will ask them if this is likely to cause it to bow under the weight and whether they make the batons on the run thicker.

Thanks for your tips Alison. I know winter would be able to jump down into the run on top of something but of course I need to consider the other bunny he will have as a friend. BB's idea of the log bridge at the end is a good one and so may do something similar. The hole Winter is going through at the moment is tiny!

Anyone else? Anyone with a 6x3x2 on a run?

Cheers

Yes, my hutch is 6x2x2 ft, and I keep 3 bunnies in this setup. They don't spend much time in the hutch, they just come up for food and to use the litter tray in the bedroom as their toilet. So the setup is big enough for my lot.

I have the same happy hutch combo, but the run isn't as high as the one in the photos, I'd guess it's 1ft high, wish it was 2ft though would be much better, I expect you'd need to ask for it to be 2ft high.
I can't complain though mine was free when i rehomed Tilly.

Oh brill! Thanks so much! I will stick with the 6x2x2 then and just get the run made to 2ft high! How exciting!

Does anyone know if they have a massive stash or they make them as the orders come in?
I want to have mine like yours BB (the front of the hutch level with the side of the run) but I would prefer the lader/ramp to be against the side of the run so they're less likely to fall off. So the hole would be close to the right door rather than the back of the hutch. I wonder if they could do that OR would it just be a case of turning the floor part around when it arrives? Anyone know?

Also BB have you got a pic of your log roll over the hole in the hutch? I think I know what you mean but not 100% sure :D

Sorry for all the questions :oops:

Last edited:
i can answer that, my run comes right up at the front of the hutch not the back, whoever had it before me must of just turned the bottom around when they put it together so it is at the front, so it can be done x

Oh brill! Thanks so much! I will stick with the 6x2x2 then and just get the run made to 2ft high! How exciting!

Does anyone know if they have a massive stash or they make them as the orders come in?
I want to have mine like yours BB (the front of the hutch level with the side of the run) but I would prefer the lader/ramp to be against the side of the run so they're less likely to fall off. So the hole would be close to the right door rather than the back of the hutch. I wonder if they could do that OR would it just be a case of turning the floor part around when it arrives? Anyone know?

Also BB have you got a pic of your log roll over the hole in the hutch? I think I know what you mean but not 100% sure :D

Sorry for all the questions :oops:

Both my happyhutches were dispatched straight away and I received them within 2 or 3 days of ordering, and im in Jersey so I guess they have them ready to send :D

I would have thought you could just swap the bottom of the hutch round, not certain though. I understand why you want the ramp against the side of the run though, maybe ask when you order if its ok to just turn the bottom round :D x

If you swap the floor round though there will be an unprotected hole for them to fall down - it is designed so the partition to the 'bedroom' protects the back edge of the hole. You can have the hutch the other way round to BB (i.e. facing onto the run) in which case the ramp is along the back edge, or it might be possible to put the partition on at the front instead but then it may get in the way of the door hinges so you may need to fiddle with it a bit :?

If you swap the floor round though there will be an unprotected hole for them to fall down - it is designed so the partition to the 'bedroom' protects the back edge of the hole. You can have the hutch the other way round to BB (i.e. facing onto the run) in which case the ramp is along the back edge, or it might be possible to put the partition on at the front instead but then it may get in the way of the door hinges so you may need to fiddle with it a bit :?

Ahhhh ok. Right well I will take a look at it when it arrives. I think the easiest way to remedy it would be to fit the bedroom partition at the front. I will see what it looks like. If worst comes to worst I will just leave it as it is and they will have to get used to it. I think I will need to have the hutch the way BB has it because it will just make it so much easier to clean/take out litter trays due to where it is going to be in my garden.

Thank you all so much for your help. Just need to figure out the finances and have a chat with on OH when he gets back. Hopefully will be able to sort it out, we will be a happy family and it won't add too much to our animal bills :)

No more bunnies though! I can't take the stress! :D

Shiv

Our hutches are 6 x 3 x 2 from Happy Hutch but we did have to ask for them to be custom made as it's not a size they offer as standard.

Yes, I find it much easier to have the hutch doors facing away from the run. The way they show it on their pictures, it would be impossible to stand in the run and clean the hutch, as the lid will block the doors. So you'd have to bend across the run, or put the lid on the other way round. But then you'd still have problems if you had an escape artist like my Penny, or a bunny that likes to nibble on your jeans.
You can have the floor the other way round. I think it is supposed to have the opening for the ramp near the front of the hutch. We put the floor in the wrong way round, and then the trap door did not fit any more, because it is just cut out of the floor panel, and it wasn't totally symmetrical. We almost never use it now, though.
You could add panels on either side of the ramp to keep the bunnies from slipping off sideways. You need to be inventive for that. It may make it more difficult to remove the ramp, but we never do that while the bunnies are in there.
I'll see if I have any more photos, if not, I can take some tomorrow.

Mines 2ft high and has had various fosters buns in it... the ramp was never much of a problem and even those who were cautious, soon got the hang of it. Mine does slightly bow in the middle, this is only a problem as one of the (many) locks I put there doesnt catch how it should... I put a bit of 2x2 under there as an extra leg and its seem to have done the trick.:)

I think Happy Hutches are great but just so overpriced!!!! I am just in the middle of making a double 6ft by 3ft by 2ft (each level) hutch for my sisters two pairs and in total it has cost under £120. We have used the best materials and all of the exterior is cladded with tongue and groove. I am quite a weakling when it comes to DIY being quite a girly girl but it really isn't as hard as you might think to do! :shock:

my happy hutch hasn't got a bedroom compartment, someone else on the forum said theirs didn't either. I found this a bit strange, Tilly doesn't mind, but might get hubby to put in a divide.

Back