• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO: Sooz22 or anyone with bonding experience

Kirsty&Lola

Mama Doe
Hi:wave: we have the buns home. journey was fine. got home n rory is mouting her quite a bit, bit of fur flying, which we expected i think. we have a water bottle to spray.just wanted to ask if we should leave them to it or seperate them everytime? we have taken the carrier away because Rory was hiding in it and Lola was jumping on top of it. is this the right thing to do? Sorry for all the questions:oops:....and so quickly after we have just left your house:lol:

I bonded my two bunnies about a month ago now and I got alot of advice.

If the fur flying and mounting isn't too rough and viscious just leave them to it, they're just sorting out who is the boss.

To be honest when I was bonding mine, I just left them to it unless they were doing something they really shouldn't like shredding newspaper, I didn't intervine(sp) at all.

I did check on them and they were always snuggled up, it does calm down after the initial meet.

Hope that helps abit! :)

I think there's 2 approaches to bonding - you have to work out which one you prefer or which one's right for your bunnies. Fast bonding would leave them to it in a neutral area for about 3 days, assuming no real vicious fighting, and frequent supervision even at night (sleep on the floor with them).

Slow bonding would break them up as soon as they start fighting, and leave it for a day, housing them near each other (but not close enough to bite noses through bars), swapping smelly bedding/litter etc to get them familiar with scents, and introducing them for short sessions daily, which hopefully get longer and longer before fighting occurs - takes months but is less stressful :)

If they are just mounting each other, leave them to get on with it, mounting and a little chasing to me is not fighting and should be ignored. usually they hang on to each other by grasping the other one by the scruff of the neck and often end up pulling out the fur. So a degree of fur being around is quite common.

If they are just mounting each other, leave them to get on with it, mounting and a little chasing to me is not fighting and should be ignored. usually they hang on to each other by grasping the other one by the scruff of the neck and often end up pulling out the fur. So a degree of fur being around is quite common.

What you are experiencing sounds all very normal, just keep with it as you are on the right road to success.

well i'm back, andy hijacked the thread:lol: they have been together for a week with Sooz now, i think the move home has just unsettled them and cause him to keep up with the humping. thanks for your advice, i'm just going to leave them to it as they are not being aggressive at all, just Rory humps a lot:roll:

well i'm back, andy hijacked the thread:lol: they have been together for a week with Sooz now, i think the move home has just unsettled them and cause him to keep up with the humping. thanks for your advice, i'm just going to leave them to it as they are not being aggressive at all, just Rory humps a lot:roll:

Hope things settle down soon - I've had the same all week with T humping Bell whenever he gets the chance. Over the weekend she's spent quite a bit of time on the cat scratching post to get a break :roll: :lol:

Can't wait to see piccies of the happy couple :D

its nice to know we aren't the only ones going through this. its calming down now. i think he was just unsure of the new surroundings of home and thought the best thing to do was hump lola:lol: they have been sharing hay and the water bowl so its a good start to their homecoming. i'm going to take some pics tmra and post them up

ps. Rory is so damn cute:lol:

hello kirsty and lola all sounds normal to me, im just bonding at the minuite and im starting to feel sorry for floss that getting all the humping hehe there only so much humping i can see:lol:
we going to have some pictures up :wave:

Back