• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post VHD injection

hi all

Had Bert vaccinated on tuesday (had myxi two weeks before) he was fine after the first one but this one has really knocked him, he is eating, drinking but not as much as usual and is pooing fine. He seems down sleeping alot, not coming out of hutch much (he is a house bun) and has a bit of a runny nose and sneezes on occasion is this related to the injection?

Honey didn't eat after her VHD so I took her back to the vets. I think some rabbits do have a bit of a reaction to the vaccination.

Two of mine had their VHD friday and yesterday Eeyore wasn't eating and is still a bit quiet but eating today. He did get stressed at the vets tho so I thought it was stress but could have been a reaction, none of mine have had any bad reactions before :?

One of mine had her VHD 3 weeks ago on a Sat morning. She was fine all day and by 9pm she would not eat anything. I was about to panic when I came on here to find that this could happen. Went back to see her and she was nibbling at hay quite a bit but would not take any pellets or veg. She was fine the following morning. I have read it can last a few days though.

is a runny nose common post VHD?

If your bun is a snuffly bun then having a vaccine can divert the immune system from the snuffles to the vaccine - it's the reason I didn't vaccinate my Joey last year as he'd had a really bad bout of snuffles.
Having said that he's getting his jabs done next week as the risk of myxo is too high compared to him getting snuffly.

When mine have VHD jabs about half of them react by being 'tired and off their food' for a day. They look as if they have a headache or something (in human terms). Strangely its the males that are like this (wimps!!)

After a day they are fine again.

I was warned after my buns' VHD vaccs they may be less active and eat less for a few days afterwoulds. Though it didn't affect my two:rolleyes:

Back