• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Asbeau Updated again!

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
:( Poor Asbeau! He's awfully thin and can't walk very well.
He's eaten some pellets soaked in water and some finely grated veggies. I gave him a tummy rub and he did a few poos, also when he pees he strains really hard but only a couple of drops come out :(
Please don't say I need to take him to the vets today, I would but as it's not up to me it has to be tomorrowXxX

Last edited:
Sounds like he has cystitis secondary to dental issues to me :?

Poor little lad, thats how Fiver gets when he needs a burr. The cystitis is so uncomfortable. Is he wetting on himself?

His feet and hind legs are wet, but I thought it was just because he might of been sitting in his wee?

Its more likely that he has been weeing on himself Beth. Due to the pain of urinating rabbits with UTIs (urinary tract infections) are unable to direct urine away from their bodies.

Have you washed and dried his bottom? If not that needs doing else he may get urine scold.

Make sure your vets check his teeth tomorrow and that he gets some Baytril and Metacam.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I wasn't sure about washing him incase it made him cold/worse?
I'll do it now and give him a snugglesafe, will he be ok to live with Magic still?

Yes he can stay with Magic. Has he been wormed Beth? When you say he is stuggling to walk how do you mean?

Make sure you dry him well before putting him outside again.

the quickest I can get him there is Monday.

No they aren't wormed.
When he walks his front legs are ok but his back legs go sideways if that makes and sense?

I gave him a quick wash and dry and found what I think is two urine scalds:(
I've got some pictures if they would be any help?

I think you should ask your vet about getting Asbeau and Magic onto a course of Panacur, particularly if his teeth appear OK.

Incontinence, weight loss and hind leg weakness are all symptomatic of E Cuniculi. I would worm all your other rabbits as a precaution too.

How long has he been wetting himself for?

2-3 days, I didn't think much of it, I just thought he had been out in the rain or been sitting in the litter tray, I wiped his legs down but didn't notice anything, but he didn't give me much chance as he was biting and scratching me. Today he just flops out in your hands and lets you do what ever you want to him. Luckily Magic seems perfectly happy and i'll ask the vet about Panacur.
Also when he walks, not hops it's more of a shuffle.

here are the best pictures I could get:
008.jpg

004-1.jpg

the top one looks alot worse than the other, they are on differant back legs

Yep thats quite nasty urine burn. Wash his back legs and bum with warm water and dry them well with a towel and hairdryer on a cool setting.

Then, if you can, apply some vaseline or sudocreme to the sore areas to form a barrier against any additional urine. If its very inflammed your vets may prescribe a corticosteroid preperation such as Fuciderm to treat the skin with. I would ask them to clip the fur for him tomorrow.

Try sudocrem if you can get hold of it..... most spar shops etc stock it...

I had a mare who paralized her tail :roll: and i used to put sudocrem on the skin under her tail to prevent urine scald. It worked very very well indeed.

oh poor chap :( I'd second everything Sooz has recommended - but depending on how good your vet is you might have to be cheeky and ask about treatments Sooz has mentioned, so it'd be a good idea to write it down and take the list to your vets to jog your memory :) hope he's better soon!

Thanks I will :D
My old vet was abit dodgy with rabbits and gave me baytril for everything, the new one has a bunny savvy :D

Back