• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

clippers

touie

Wise Old Thumper
those of you with long haired rabbits, which clippers do you use? Mine are not very efficient it takes me 2 hours at least to do Caramel with them :shock: I'm thinking I should invest in some new ones!!!

I've got long haired piggies and their coat is very woolley, similar to angora (they are alpacas) - when it's about 3" long (after 2 months or so) I cut it all off very short, just a tuft at a time starting at their head and working down one side of their body then turning them around and do the other side, and lastly check under their 'leg pit' for matts (which they don't usually have at that stage, but some are better at grooming themselves than others)

I leave it half an inch long or less, mostly you can see their skin it's so short, using a small pair of round ended hairdressing scissors - I did 4 piggies yesterday (none matted) and ended up with a pile of wool as big as a football :shock: 3 pigs took me 5 mins each, but the other took a good 20 mins as he tried to bite me the whole time and wouldn't sit still for a second :roll: I used to take a lot longer doing it but I just whiz along now - I'm sure it's quicker to keep it short with scissors than use clippers on long hair - if your animal behaves that is :?

I think Adele has a lot of angoras - maybe ask her?

I have got it sussed with wahl pet clippers and a wahl beard trimmer for more delicate bits ;)

I have used the rounded ended scissors on my bun as well, just to keep the coat from being on the floor! Was thinking of a shorter trim as the weather heated up:)

I too use round ended scissors to trim Snowy my cashmere lop. I find it quite a struggle to keep his coat under control, I also find it a struggle cutting out the knots that I can't brush out, especially ones under his chin, their skin is so thin stretchy in some places and you have to be sooo careful not to nip it.

Snowy and Buttons are moving outside into a new playhouse for the summer so i'd like to be able to keep his coat shorter. I never really thought about getting some clippers but I'm starting to think that maybe i should. :)

I started out with scissors, clippers are the way to go, so much easier! It still takes 2 people to do Caramel though!!! With one person she's naughty and runs away, with 2 she sits there like a little angel :roll:

which clippers do you have? i've always been cared of using them as some people say they can tear the skin! i usually use scissors but last year izzy had such bad mats close to the skin and in trying to get to them i cut her 3 times with the scissors!! i felt so bad! she was fine but i want a less stressful way for me and her!

Back