• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just got rabbit back from the vets

SarahM

Warren Scout
On friday she wasn't eating, so I took her to the vets and she had burrs (don't know how it is spelt) on her teeth, so they kept her in and did a dental. I have just got her home, She is a very nervous bunny and hadn't eaten anything at the vets so they sent her home hoping she would eating somethig here.

what is the best things to try to tempt her to eat?

Her main favourite foods are foods she has to chomp on, I have tried her on a few and she isn't interested.

Any suggestions would be much appriated

Try some gratted carrot. Also, you can make her normal pellet feed soft by soaking it in cooled boiled water.
Has she poo'd? Did the Vets administer a gut motility stimulant (metoclopromide) and pain relief after the Dental ?

Janex

You'd think it would be the hardest thing for them to eat but after mine have had their teeth done I find they are keenest to eat hay :? along with banana and favourite veg!

You could try some fragrant herbs like basil or mint. When did you get her home? If she still isn't eating I would call the vet for advice. Did they give you meds to give her? Or recovery food?

I got her home at about 11.30. She has had something to drink and sniffing at food but otherwise not interested.

Vets didn't say what meds she had had and didn't give me anything to give her.

Try her with anything you can tempt her with; herbs, veg, pellets mashed with hot water and then cooled. Do you have any science recovery you could give her. Make sure she also drinks her water.

My oh has taken her back this morning. I managed to get her to eat some banana, but this morning was wasn't interested in anything. She has been drinking water but seems to be just wetting herself and then sitting in it. (usually she is very good and uses the litter tray)

She is much better now, eating properly and looking brighter. Took her to the vets again last night who gave her another painkiller. But fingers crossed things are looking good

Back