• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The rabbit hutches took a battering last night...

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
I just found two roof tiles smashed on top of Bobby & Scouts hutch, the poor little mites :cry:

I wish I could bring them all indoors in this weather.

Two of the run lids had also taken flight down the garden, along with a watering can, dustpan & brush and my door mat. :?

Hope the bunnies wernt too scared :shock:

Most of the stuff in my garden is down the end too :roll: Looks a real mess out there - not that it has ever looked tidy with all the animal stuff out there :lol:

That's awful, I hate the wind, it's so unpredictable and it's the one element I really dread. I've had nightmares in the past, worrying about hutches/sheds being blown over, I've got them all as close to the house as poss, so they are not exposed, but I still dread it.

My hutches have their backs against the house walls, sadly thats how the tiles managed to fall on top of them.

At least they didnt get blown over though.

In the hurricane of late 80's I had two rabbits then, and they were on my patio area in hutches... the following morning I saw the hutches were upside down up the end of the garden :shock::shock::shock:

Luckily both hutches were intact and both bunnies still inside and ok. A little shook up but alive and safe :)

My hutches/run now are so heavy and big and in a secure area I dont think they would ever get blown away, but roof tiles are a worry.

My hutches have their backs against the house walls, sadly thats how the tiles managed to fall on top of them.

At least they didnt get blown over though.

Omg :shock::shock: I never gave that a thought. Just considered the damage having them exposed could do,especially as we lose fence panels fairly regularly. Almost like we are in a wind tunnel. The panels fall like dominoes and the three houses ( we are in the middle ) each lose one side of their boundary lines. Just dreaded the thought of the hutches being brought down by the fence panels.
In the storm of 1987, ( extreme I know )our boundary line of panels came down and fell on cars and a van that were parked the other side. I have that image in my head and I just have visions of the cars being hutches and it really scares me.

Last edited:
In the hurricane of late 80's I had two rabbits then, and they were on my patio area in hutches... the following morning I saw the hutches were upside down up the end of the garden :shock::shock::shock:

Luckily both hutches were intact and both bunnies still inside and ok. A little shook up but alive and safe :)

My hutches/run now are so heavy and big and in a secure area I dont think they would ever get blown away, but roof tiles are a worry.

That's exactly what I fear. You must have been so relieved to find the buns safe.

aww poor buns, glad they are ok though. its hard to know where to put the hutches for the best. hopefully this wind will calm down soon. can't wait for summer:)

Also remember that hutches with lift off lids are more at risk of having the lids whipped off in the wind so please make sure they are firmly fixed down!

Also remember that hutches with lift off lids are more at risk of having the lids whipped off in the wind so please make sure they are firmly fixed down!

:shock::shock::shock: i have a lavendar lodge hutch n the hinges r broken..so it just lifts right off!

It's a good idea to put patio slabs on top of hutches to weigh them down :D

If anybody is looking for a very heavy weight hutch that won't blow over...get a Rydale.

It's a good idea to put patio slabs on top of hutches to weigh them down :D

If anybody is looking for a very heavy weight hutch that won't blow over...get a Rydale.

I've got half used pots of paint on mine and even they make the roof bow in as it's only plywood - I would hate to find a mashed rabbit one morning if the roof broke under the weight of paving slabs - they're not load-bearing :?

I've got half used pots of paint on mine and even they make the roof bow in as it's only plywood - I would hate to find a mashed rabbit one morning if the roof broke under the weight of paving slabs - they're not load-bearing :?

The beauty of paving slabs is that they distribute weight across the whole roof, rather than in one point like a pot of paint, etc. You can also hang them over the edges so that they're also being supported by the strength of the hutch walls. ;)

I've used slabs for years, and have never had a hutch roof even bow under the weight :D

Back