• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is pasterella incurable?

I'm not that great on pasturella but one of my rabbits has it and is in constant contact with the others none of whom have shown any symptoms. But yes it is incurable its a bacteria they carry.

It is incurable, as my 2 lionheads (Bonnie-Blossom and Perdita) had it, but neither of their hus-buns had it or any of the other rabbits I had... so not sure if they carried it, but never showed symptoms?:? But I love Brody;) If I had room... I'd have her, she's GORGEOUS!!!!:D

Pasteurella is a common bacteria carried by many bunnies - in some bunnies it can overgrow and cause a problem called 'snuffles' or other infections. Once it has taken hold it is very difficult to cure totally although some people have a pasteurella bun who never has further episodes. One of mine is a chronic snuffler and for her it is quite bad now - but she is a netherland dwarf so she has tiny nasal passages which get bunged up quite quickly.

If you put a snuffles bun with another bun they may or may not 'catch' it - mine has lived happily with another chap for the past 2 years and he has never had any problems, it seems that most are naturally immune to it. But the problem is you can't tell which ones will and which ones wont, so generally a lot of people err on the side of caution and will only let a snuffly bun be rehomed either on their own or with another snuffly bun.

I've met Brody and she really is gorgeous :D

Thanks for that it made so much sense! I've been confused about pasturella for ages!!!

Pasteurella is a common bacteria carried by many bunnies - in some bunnies it can overgrow and cause a problem called 'snuffles' or other infections. Once it has taken hold it is very difficult to cure totally although some people have a pasteurella bun who never has further episodes. One of mine is a chronic snuffler and for her it is quite bad now - but she is a netherland dwarf so she has tiny nasal passages which get bunged up quite quickly.

If you put a snuffles bun with another bun they may or may not 'catch' it - mine has lived happily with another chap for the past 2 years and he has never had any problems, it seems that most are naturally immune to it. But the problem is you can't tell which ones will and which ones wont, so generally a lot of people err on the side of caution and will only let a snuffly bun be rehomed either on their own or with another snuffly bun.

I've met Brody and she really is gorgeous :D

Back